Canadian Applicant, Question on process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Spliced

Hello everyone, I was hoping some people here could give me some advice. I understand that the US medical school process is based on rolling admissions for the most part. I am a Canadian student and just took the May 19th mcat. I'm not feeling too confident in my score. Scores will be released June 20th and my plan is to continue studying in case I missed my mark (Goal score: 510-512). I'm very confident I can achieve my goal score if not higher if I re-take the test June 30th (Will be my 3rd attempt).

Some* background stats: White - Caucasian, 3.8+ GPA, Volunteer experience 200hrs+ shadowing 100 hrs+, Sports team involvement, tutoring, manger... the usual. (NO RESEARCH experience)*.

Lets say I do the MCAT june 30th and the scores will be released August 1st and i'll have my application verified and everything (also ill have my secondaries ready for the schools to which I will apply (low-mid tier broadly). Assuming the Mcat goes as planned, what are my chances of securing interviews, getting into medical school for entering year: 2018. Am I applying too late? Any suggestions to improve my chances?
-Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I was hoping some people here could give me some advice. I understand that the US medical school process is based on rolling admissions for the most part. I am a Canadian student and just took the May 19th mcat. I'm not feeling too confident in my score. Scores will be released June 20th and my plan is to continue studying in case I missed my mark (Goal score: 510-512). I'm very confident I can achieve my goal score if not higher if I re-take the test June 30th (Will be my 3rd attempt).

Some* background stats: White - Caucasian, 3.8+ GPA, Volunteer experience 200hrs+ shadowing 100 hrs+, Sports team involvement, tutoring, manger... the usual. (NO RESEARCH experience)*.

Lets say I do the MCAT june 30th and the scores will be released August 1st and i'll have my application verified and everything (also ill have my secondaries ready for the schools to which I will apply (low-mid tier broadly). Assuming the Mcat goes as planned, what are my chances of securing interviews, getting into medical school for entering year: 2018. Am I applying too late? Any suggestions to improve my chances?
-Thank you in advance.
International applicants have to be Harvard/Stamford caliber for US med schools.

You are an international student (or considered as such by many schools) with no research, low volunteering hours, not sure of what your clinical-non clinical numbers may be, nothing outstanding in EC, possible weak or mediocre MCAT (all scores will matter) applying late, though not that late. Personally, I would considering enhancing another year with both clinical and non clinical hours, possibly getting involved in a clinical study somehow, unless your MCAT super-duper. I am just not feeling it with your situation

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I will definitely look into getting some research experience.
I volunteered at many different clinical settings: 200+ hours at walk-in clinic, 60 hours dental office, 50 hours physiotherapy clinic. Captain of Rep sports team (ton of hours), I also have an online business. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
International applicants have to be Harvard/Stamford caliber for US med schools.

I was hoping to apply to most of the low tiers that accepted a few internationals, also I know some schools consider Canadians as out of state. That is where my aims are at.

Don't apply this year if you have to re-take. Applying is expensive, attending is incredibly expensive and being a reapplicant sucks. Plus it would give you another year to apply to Canadian schools for cheaper tuition in a country not run by Donald Trump.

In general for Canadians I'd recommend giving the US one good try when you know it's the last year you're going to try in Canada. Assuming you'd rather stay in Canada if possible, should be at least 2-3 cycles.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't apply this year if you have to re-take. Applying is expensive, attending is incredibly expensive and being a reapplicant sucks. Plus it would give you another year to apply to Canadian schools for cheaper tuition in a country not run by Donald Trump.

In general for Canadians I'd recommend giving the US one good try when you know it's the last year you're going to try in Canada. Assuming you'd rather stay in Canada if possible, should be at least 2-3 cycles.

I actually don't want to stay in Canada and want to move to the US. I have family in the states and plan to live/ work there in the future.

I'm not feeling too confident in my score. Scores will be released June 20th and my plan is to continue studying in case I missed my mark (Goal score: 510-512). I'm very confident I can achieve my goal score if not higher if I re-take the test June 30th (Will be my 3rd attempt).
Those with multiple MCAT scores are at a disadvantage in the US even if those scores go up over time.
Do not re-take the exam until you are confident of a score consistent with success.
Depending on your previous scores that may need to be higher than a single good score would have been.

Those with multiple MCAT scores are at a disadvantage in the US even if those scores go up over time.
Do not re-take the exam until you are confident of a score consistent with success.
Depending on your previous scores that may need to be higher than a single good score would have been.

How would you quantify the impact of multiple scores? my first mcat was a mistake; took it without pre-reqs. What would you consider a "good" mcat score in my situation to be?

How would you quantify the impact of multiple scores? my first mcat was a mistake; took it without pre-reqs. What would you consider a "good" mcat score in my situation to be?
Multiple weak scores are much more damaging than a single one.

The median MCAT for a successful international was about 515 (33.6).
Be aware that the AAMC recommends averaging scores (and each examiner can have an idiosyncratic interpretation).

There will be no asterisk on the first score that explains your rationale, sadly.

Multiple weak scores are much more damaging than a single one.

The median MCAT for a successful international was about 515 (33.6).
Be aware that the AAMC recommends averaging scores (and each examiner can have an idiosyncratic interpretation).

There will be no asterisk on the first score that explains your rationale, sadly.
Thank you for the reply. Averaging will be problematic for me. Is there a list which would give me information on which schools average test scores? Or would i have to contact each school individually?

Thank you for the reply. Averaging will be problematic for me. Is there a list which would give me information on which schools average test scores? Or would i have to contact each school individually?
Unfortunately, many of them say something along the lines of "all scores are considered."
Looking at websites is a good idea, because some schools famously average scores (e.g. Jefferson).
Even the ones that say they "take" the most recent (or highest)score, may be referring to the fact that they include that score in published matriculation stats.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, many of them say something along the lines of "all scores are considered."
Looking at websites is a good idea, because some schools famously average scores (e.g. Jefferson).
Even the ones that say they "take" the most recent (or highest)score, may be referring to the fact that they include that score in published matriculation stats.
Okay, i'll keep that in mind when applying. Thank you again.