Canadian applicant with below average stats - need some help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sigg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian applicant applying to American schools for the first time.

My cGPA is a 3.4 with a strong upward trend (first 2 years were poor, last 2 years were good). My science GPA is probably around the same. I am doing a 5th year of undergraduate studies next year in Canada to raise my marks.

My MCAT is a 31 (but I am studying to do a rewrite in July). (I also have 2 lower MCAT scores on record).

I do have considerable involvement in extra-curricular and leadership activities at my school's community, as well as employment-wise.

Here is my question: Do I stand a chance at the middle/low tier allopathic schools in the US? In particular:
-RFUMS
-OUWB
-Wayne State
-NYMC
-anything else? (Let me know)

I've read on the admissions websites of some of these schools that the minimum GPA they consider is 3.0. However, I'm reading the allopathic school specific threads, and people are posting with 3.8s, and only getting waitlisted. I'm wondering realistically then what my chances really are...

On MSAR, I see 3.4 as being listed in the "10th" percentile of what is accepted. So given that I'm a Canadian applicant, are my chances then incredibly slim?? I understand schools like Wayne state treat Canadians the same as OOS...but even as an OOS applicant, your stats must have to be greater than average, don't they?

Another reason I'm asking is because I haven't taken a full-year of English...and may choose to do that right now in the summer. But I'm just not sure if it's worth it, if my chances aren't very good to begin with.

Any help/information would be super appreciated. Thanks guys!

(Also, if anyone has more schools they could suggest I apply to, please let me know)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

My cGPA is a 3.4 with a strong upward trend (first 2 years were poor, last 2 years were good). My science GPA is probably around the same. I am doing a 5th year of undergraduate studies next year in Canada to raise my marks.

My MCAT is a 31 (but I am studying to do a rewrite in July). (I also have 2 lower MCAT scores on record).

I do have considerable involvement in extra-curricular and leadership activities at my school's community, as well as employment-wise.

Here is my question: Do I stand a chance at the middle/low tier allopathic schools in the US? In particular:
-RFUMS
-OUWB
-Wayne State
-NYMC

I've read on the admissions websites of some of these schools that the minimum GPA they consider is 3.0. However, I'm reading the allopathic school specific threads, and people are posting with 3.8s, and only getting waitlisted. I'm wondering realistically then what my chances really are...

On MSAR, I see 3.4 as being listed in the "10th" percentile of what is accepted. So given that I'm a Canadian applicant, are my chances then incredibly slim?? I understand schools like Wayne state treat Canadians the same as OOS...but even as an OOS applicant, your stats must have to be greater than average, don't they?

Another reason I'm asking is because I haven't taken a full-year of English...and may choose to do that right now in the summer. But I'm just not sure if it's worth it, if my chances aren't very good to begin with.

(Also, if anyone has more schools they could suggest I apply to, please let me know)

You stand a chance at RFUMS. But that's just a hair of a chance, especially as a non-US citizen. RFUMS generally likes people with GPAs above 3.5 or a huge MCAT to make up for it.

^Thanks!

What about the other schools?

Is this because RFUMS standards are the lowest?

Members don't see this ad :)
^Thanks!

What about the other schools?

Is this because RFUMS standards are the lowest?

I go to RFUMS. I can't speak for other schools.

Also, open-ended questions without borderline offensive assumptions made after them will serve you extremely well in medical school applications and in medical school. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I go to RFUMS. I can't speak for other schools.

Also, open-ended questions without borderline offensive assumptions made after them will serve you extremely well in medical school applications and in medical school. ;)

Thanks tantacles! Sorry, I probably should have worded my question better :( Didn't mean to insult RFUMS, especially because I'd be thrilled to be there myself.

If anyone has insight into the other schools (particularly Wayne State and NYMC), please let me know - as those require me to take english, which is what I'm deciding on doing right now

Hi everyone,

-RFUMS
-OUWB
-Wayne State
-NYMC

Canadian applicants usually need to have stats above a school's average to get an acceptance. Also, your lower MCAT scores won't be ignored...after 3 attempts, any improvement means a bit less. Statistically, retaking a score above a 30 puts you at high risk for a decrease, and that would really cinch your fate at US MD programs, so really consider whether that's a prudent choice.

how is the rest of your app?

your best shot is probably going to be DO.

It is very unlikely you have any reasonable chance.

Maybe look into Wayne State's BMS.

It is very unlikely you have any reasonable chance.

Maybe look into Wayne State's BMS.

Would a masters considerably improve my chances?

(I know it sometimes does in Canada, depending on the school)

I don't know if I'd want to consider DO yet...just because I wouldn't mind waiting a few years to give allopathic schools my best shot.

Would a masters considerably improve my chances?

(I know it sometimes does in Canada, depending on the school)

I don't know if I'd want to consider DO yet...just because I wouldn't mind waiting a few years to give allopathic schools my best shot.

From what I have heard from AdComs on this site, masters count as just another EC--one you better do VERY well in, given the grade inflation and consequences of underperformance.