Canadian DAT resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WarfarinS

Reaction score
This is the 2nd time i'm writing the Canadian DAT after finishing up my undergrad at UofT with a 3.89 GPA. The only thing that held me back from applying to dental school last year was my terrible DAT scores. So i'm pretty desperate to do well this time around. The first time I wrote the DAT I foolishly used only DATBootcamp since a lot of ppl were raving it was good but somehow I scored really poorly:

MDT: 15
Biol: 19
Chem: 17
PAT: 17
RC: 18
AA: 18
TS: 18

So i'm a bit lost. I'm trying to change my strategy this time around since I don't feel bootcamp was worth it for me last time even though it was a bit useful. Are there any resources anyone would recommend getting to study for the Canadian DAT (not the american one)? So far i'm definitely getting DATDestroyer and DATCrusher since i've heard a lot of good things about both of them from friends. I've heard mixed reviews about CracktheDAT and DATqvault, so i'm on the fence. And haven't heard anything about DATready. Can someone please shed some light?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is the 2nd time i'm writing the Canadian DAT after finishing up my undergrad at UofT with a 3.89 GPA. The only thing that held me back from applying to dental school last year was my terrible DAT scores. So i'm pretty desperate to do well this time around. The first time I wrote the DAT I foolishly used only DATBootcamp since a lot of ppl were raving it was good but somehow I scored really poorly:

So i'm a bit lost. I'm trying to change my strategy this time around since I don't feel bootcamp was worth it for me last time even though it was a bit useful. Are there any resources anyone would recommend getting to study for the Canadian DAT (not the american one)? So far i'm definitely getting DATDestroyer and DATCrusher since i've heard a lot of good things about both of them from friends. I've heard mixed reviews about CracktheDAT and DATqvault, so i'm on the fence. And haven't heard anything about DATready. Can someone please shed some light?
I recommend DAT Destroyer and CDP for PAT. I also recommend Bootcamp generators for the PAT. For bio, watch Bozeman Scienxe w/ Mr. Anderson on YouTube or Crash Course. All these resources were helpful to me, and I’m generally a bad test taker. Good luck, you can do it!

Your scores were very similar to mine. I used DAT destroyer , DAT bootcamp, cliffs ap Bio 3rd edition, Crack DAT PAT, and chads videos. Overall, I can tell you a couple things about these resources. DAT destroyer was probably the best thing to use, sadly though, I didn’t use it right. I went through it once and went through orgo twice on there. I felt like I started forgetting information as time went by. Cliffs AP Bio 3rd edition is a great review but I won’t be using that again. Will use Feralis notes for a strong review basis and use DAT bootcamp bio notes to focus on my weak spots. Crack DAT PAT was very good for PAT, BUT....... the keyholes, TFE, and pattern folding were COMPLETELY different. I won’t be using those sections on there again. I was able to average 22-23 on PAT when practicing on there but I promise it wasn’t an accurate representation of the actual DAT PAT’s TFE, keyholes, and pattern folding. I attempted DAT bootcamp PAT once before and had gotten an 18 and didn’t like how their pattern folding was, or their keyholes. THEY ARE VERY SIMILIAR TO THE ACTUAL DAT! Also, chads videos gave me a strong review on things and I would say those will help you a lot.

Scores on first attempt:
QR: 15
Bio: 17
GC: 18
OC: 19
RC: 21
PAT: 18

Second attempt...to be determined lol

Don’t give up. 18 is still above average for a first attempt on the exam. Personally, I know I could’ve done a lot better. I made dumb mistakes and over thought a lot of the Biology questions. You’re bound to do better the second time around, majority of the people do. Best of luck!

I recommend DAT Destroyer and CDP for PAT. I also recommend Bootcamp generators for the PAT. For bio, watch Bozeman Scienxe w/ Mr. Anderson on YouTube or Crash Course. All these resources were helpful to me, and I’m generally a bad test taker. Good luck, you can do it!

Bootcamp's generators are useless for the Canadian DAT imo. All of bootcamp's generators are online while the Canadian DAT is a paper exam so it involves completely different strategies for half of the PAT sections.

Members don't see this ad :)
@WarfarinS I think all of the posters above are assuming you are writing the American version. I wrote the Canadian DAT so i'll give you my 2 cents since i've tried my fair share of resources:

My scores on the February 2018 Canadian DAT:
MDT: 24
Biol: 25
Chem: 26
PAT: 25
RC: 23
AA: 25

From all of the resources that I've tried, I would personally say that DATCrusher and DATDestroyer were handsdown the most valuable for the Canadian DAT. Everything on DATCrusher was specifically for the Canadian DAT from the printable Generators to the actual content including comments saying which questions were high-yield, it was pretty much on point to the real deal. And DATDestroyer was also amazing because it had questions that over-prepared you and made sure you went over all of the questions that you needed to know for the DAT. If I had to go back, I would always stick with these two. I also tried Chad's videos which are good too if you need video content but it's honestly not needed. And although I used Bootcamp briefly, it was not worth the money if you're writing the Canadian DAT since it's content was not geared towards it and a significant amount of the content was not relevant such as organic chemistry and the quantitative reasoning section.

Regardless of what you use, I think you should make a study schedule and spend most of your time learning the content, probably focusing on content that is your weakness. And don't give up, you have a 3.89 GPA from UofT! That's insane! You're definitely capable of doing well. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Hey! How did you end up doing? I signed up for the Canadian DAT a few days ago and need some advice on what I should use to study. I'm debating between datbootcamp or datcrusher, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey! How did you end up doing? I signed up for the Canadian DAT a few days ago and need some advice on what I should use to study. I'm debating between datbootcamp or datcrusher, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey! I did better this time: 22AA, 20 Biol, 23chem, 21 PAT, 23 RC. If you're choosing between DATCrusher and DATBootcamp, definitely go with DATCrusher, it'll save you a lot of time and the real canadian version of the DAT is much more like DATCrusher’s practice tests than DATbootcamp. You can probably use DATBootcamp and get away with it but it has way too much information that isn’t relevant for the Canadian DAT so I don't think it's worth using. If you have enough time, try to go over all the DATDestroyer questions too. Even though they are tougher than what you'll see on the Canadian DAT, it's still good practice. Other than those two resources, I didn't end up getting anything else.

Reactions: 1 user