Canadian dent students studying in the US..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

z_hitman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'll be attending BU this upcoming fall, but i'm a tad confused as to what the process is for a student visa. I've heard that you don't even need a visa to enter the states as a Canadian student and that as long as you have your I-20 form with you upon arrival each time to the states, they stamp an I-94 on your passport and you are good to go. If there are any fellow canucks on this, if you could let me know how u go about travelling between the 2 countries and whether or not you had to apply for a visa and what not (visit a US consulate) that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

You got it right.

You dont need a VISA
Just show your I-20 and theyll give you an I -94. I always bring extra documents such as, proof if financing, acceptance letter etc.
You have to check into the International Student Office at your university withing 15 days of coming to the states. Then when you wanna leave the country any time you have to get a signature from the same office that you checked into. That signatuare certifies that you are still a student and validates your I-20. The signature is valid for 1 year.

z_hitman said:
Hello, I'll be attending BU this upcoming fall, but i'm a tad confused as to what the process is for a student visa. I've heard that you don't even need a visa to enter the states as a Canadian student and that as long as you have your I-20 form with you upon arrival each time to the states, they stamp an I-94 on your passport and you are good to go. If there are any fellow canucks on this, if you could let me know how u go about travelling between the 2 countries and whether or not you had to apply for a visa and what not (visit a US consulate) that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Hello,

I am a BU student as well. Yes, but it is considered officially as an F1 visa. And yes, every time you leave the country make sure you have these papers with you. You also will need signatures from the International Student's office before you leave. Every 3 months you need to renew it to leave for Canada and Mexico and every 6 months to leave overseas.
Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
you also need to pay a 100$ fee on their web site and print out the receipt and have it with you at the border when entering the US as a student.

Awesome, thanks for the help there fellow canucks! Just to make sure, you guys didn't have to visit a consolate in Canada right? Also, did you have to fill out those DS156, DS157. DS158 forms at all?? Those are the ones regarding work history and background yadda yadda yadda.

Cheers!