Canadian dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMillionaireNextDoor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are there so many Canadian applicants applying to dental schools in the US?

What is the difference between Canadian dental schools and US schools?

Following graduation from a Canadian dental school, what are the licensing procedures to practice in the US?

I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Competition here in Canada is crazy! This is due to high admission averages (3.7 might not be good enough here in Canada than it is for the States), the Canadian DAT exam is harder (there's a section where you have to carve soap that replaces the QR portion of the American DAT), and there are few dental schools here in Canada. So, it's no surprise that many Canadians apply south of the border. I am thinking of doing that if I don't get into UBC dental school.

Why are there so many Canadian applicants applying to dental schools in the US?

What is the difference between Canadian dental schools and US schools?

Following graduation from a Canadian dental school, what are the licensing procedures to practice in the US?

I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!

Because there are only a few schools there, hence extremely competitive.

I wouldn't say our DAT is "harder" per say, just because I'm not that great at organic chem which the US DAT has...I'd rather carve soap than do org chem anyday.

There's 10 Can schools, only 8 of which are english speaking...plus most of those schools have classes that are ~40-60 students. Thus there are VERY few seats available.