Canadian DO student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan

Drinking from the hydrant
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wasn't getting any love in the Canada forum, so I'll try my question here. I was wondering whether I had a chance at a US osteopathic school with about a ~3.2 gpa, 32Q mcat (10P,11V,11B), and 1000+ hours of EMS experience, hospital volunteering, clinical psych experience, etc? Also, would I have trouble getting a competitive DO residency if I'm a Canadian citizen (ie., will need to get a visa and all of that).

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm the first one to tell people that we don't know whether or not someone can get in with X stats, but I just wanted a ballpark estimate at the kinds of GPAs you need for DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

leviathan said:
I wasn't getting any love in the Canada forum, so I'll try my question here. I was wondering whether I had a chance at a US osteopathic school with about a ~3.2 gpa, 32Q mcat (10P,11V,11B), and 1000+ hours of EMS experience, hospital volunteering, clinical psych experience, etc? Also, would I have trouble getting a competitive DO residency if I'm a Canadian citizen (ie., will need to get a visa and all of that).

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm the first one to tell people that we don't know whether or not someone can get in with X stats, but I just wanted a ballpark estimate at the kinds of GPAs you need for DO schools.

I would kill for your MCAT score! You're very well off with that score plus youre GPA is good for most DO schools. Fill out that AACOMAS ASAP if you haven't yet!
Cheers! ;)

Looks good, I am sure DocBill or one of the other Canada people will chime in with advise soon :)
I know some schools won't take you Canadians, we are afraid you will steal all of our women.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you strictly a canadian citizen, or are you a US Permanent resident as well?

I am a canadian citizen, born in calgary, but I have been a US permanent resident for over 15 years, so I have not encountered any problems thus far.

There is a Canadian student at MSUCOM. (There may be several, but one that I know of for sure).

You should be okay to apply.

Here are some schools that accept Canadian (non-US residents). Lots of Canadians have US residency (one parent or other... ) Hence Nate's fears of us stealling their women (BTW, thanks Nate for the Referal).

UNECOM, DMU, KCOM, CCOM, AZCOM, NSUCOM, KCU, Western COM, most private schools have no problem accepting Canadian applicants. Public schools school have quotas for instate and outstate, some like NJ clearly state US resident only.

To OP. Student visa (F1) is not too difficult to get, assuming you have no serious crimes (or any lets say). Not a member of odd cult and not sworn or insulted president Bush. ... Nahhh last one is a joke.

Nate said:
we are afraid you will steal all of our women.

you are exactly right.

docbill said:
You should be okay to apply.

Here are some schools that accept Canadian (non-US residents). Lots of Canadians have US residency (one parent or other... ) Hence Nate's fears of us stealling their women (BTW, thanks Nate for the Referal).

UNECOM, DMU, KCOM, CCOM, AZCOM, NSUCOM, KCU, Western COM, most private schools have no problem accepting Canadian applicants. Public schools school have quotas for instate and outstate, some like NJ clearly state US resident only.

To OP. Student visa (F1) is not too difficult to get, assuming you have no serious crimes (or any lets say). Not a member of odd cult and not sworn or insulted president Bush. ... Nahhh last one is a joke.
Hahaha, sweet, thanks for the replies guys! :)

I wouldn't mind staying in the US after I finish my DO, because I've always been interested in Emergency Medicine. However, I know when I looked at the Caribbean option, it would be incredibly difficult to ever get an EM residency because the program would have to sponsor me for a visa, on top of being a graduate from a Caribbean school. Will I experience the same troubles getting a competitive residency like EM going the osteopathic route? Oh and yes, I am a full-breed Canuck, born and raised. ;)

leviathan said:
Hahaha, sweet, thanks for the replies guys! :)

I wouldn't mind staying in the US after I finish my DO, because I've always been interested in Emergency Medicine. However, I know when I looked at the Caribbean option, it would be incredibly difficult to ever get an EM residency because the program would have to sponsor me for a visa, on top of being a graduate from a Caribbean school. Will I experience the same troubles getting a competitive residency like EM going the osteopathic route? Oh and yes, I am a full-breed Canuck, born and raised. ;)

Emergency medicine is a moderately competitive residency. You shouldnt have any trouble getting a spot if you go to an osteo school. I am employed by a group of ED physicians, three of which are DO's. In my opinion, it would be much more difficult to get one if you go to a carrib school.

Canuck99 said:
Emergency medicine is a moderately competitive residency. You shouldnt have any trouble getting a spot if you go to an osteo school. I am employed by a group of ED physicians, three of which are DO's. In my opinion, it would be much more difficult to get one if you go to a carrib school.

I don't doubt that at all. The problem is, I think for a residency program to accept me, it's not being a DO that is a hindrance, it is being a Canadian who needs either a J1 or H1B visa sponsored (or perhaps the combination of the two).

leviathan said:
I don't doubt that at all. The problem is, I think for a residency program to accept me, it's not being a DO that is a hindrance, it is being a Canadian who needs either a J1 or H1B visa sponsored (or perhaps the combination of the two).

Have you ever considered getting an Alien Residency Card, i.e. US permanent resident but keeping your canadian citizenship?

dr.z said:
I thought so too. Is there an easy way other than getting married?

I guess that you could always become a US citizen, but that would mean giving up your Canadian citizenship.

I am from British Columbia, but I attend the University of Washington as an in state student because I am a dual citizen of Canada and the United States. I was born in Vancouver, but my dad is American, so that is how it worked out for me. You could look it into getting both citizenships, you might have to marry an American lol. I was born into it, but there may be a way for you to become an American w/o losing your Canadian citizenship too. Go to an immigration website or a legal expert if you want real help.

As a student, it is almost imposible to get residency/green card.

Unfortunately the fastest/easiest way is finding an american spouse. There are lots of IMG that get visa to do residency in the US. ~10000 or so. I think Canadians doing DO have an advantage. 1) They are US graduates 2) I heard something about extending your F1 visa for 1 year training ... (I know little about that) it was talked about earlier. 3) They can try to match in Canadian residency (only in Ontario and Alberta right now). 4) Maybe there is a way to get a Nafta visa 5) English speaking (fairly well... even though my spelling is bad).

docbill said:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=244606&page=1&pp=25

since you said you have not been getting any love from Canadian thread, here is what has been going on.
Heya, Docbill

I've read that thread and it IS interesting. I know I can return to Canada under certain circumstances, but I'm not sure if I would want to do family practice. Not that I don't have an interest in family medicine, but I'm just a pre-med who really has little idea what kinds of specialities I'll want to consider for a career until I'm doing clerkship, and I don't want to be limited to family in case it isn't something I want. Practicing in an underserved rural area where you can make a huge difference in the health of the community does sound like it would be pretty rewarding, though.

that is fine.. I respect your decision... there is of course the big question. You want to be a physician or not.... you want to be able to practice in Canada or not. If you can get into a Canadian MD program.. that is ideal.

The DO in Ontario I know if ER chief.
The DO in BC in FP
The DO in ALB is FP and OMM
There is a DO in London, ON, doing Orthopeidic fellowship.
I am sure there are many more.

Hi Docbill
I didn't know there's that many DOs in Canada, I was searching AOA and only 2 showed up. How did you track these people down? :D

contacting Ted Findley. He has some book with all DO's in Canada or something like that. When I saw him last year, he said there was a dozen or so.