Canadian friendly Osteopathic Medical Schools

Started by 750hp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

750hp

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I am in the process of putting together which schools I will be applying to and ran into a "wall" if you will. I was checking out OU-COM and they are asking for permanent usa resident or green card and what not as a requirement. I currently reside in Ontario Canada and was wondering which schools are open to us, as I know MSU-COM is one, any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, I should also mention that I will be obtaining my bachelor's from a USA institution.
 
Hey everyone,

I am in the process of putting together which schools I will be applying to and ran into a "wall" if you will. I was checking out OU-COM and they are asking for permanent usa resident or green card and what not as a requirement. I currently reside in Ontario Canada and was wondering which schools are open to us, as I know MSU-COM is one, any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, I should also mention that I will be obtaining my bachelor's from a USA institution.

I had the same question... Except I'll be obtaining my Bachelor's degree next Spring from an Ontario University...
 
Hey everyone,

I am in the process of putting together which schools I will be applying to and ran into a "wall" if you will. I was checking out OU-COM and they are asking for permanent usa resident or green card and what not as a requirement. I currently reside in Ontario Canada and was wondering which schools are open to us, as I know MSU-COM is one, any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, I should also mention that I will be obtaining my bachelor's from a USA institution.

Hello fellow canadian 🙂

check out the aacom info booklet at the main site. it has data on each school whether they consider canadian citizen or not. You'll be suprised by how many that are 'considering' canadian, although our chances are slimmer:xf:

ps. here's the link to dl the info booklet http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi there!

i am a canadian entering my first year at a DO school this upcoming year. last year i went through AACOMAS's booklet and applied to (almost) every school that accepted canadians. i also called/emailed each school just to double check that canadians were considered for admission.

it ended up that i applied to ten DO programs and was accepted into three programs.

one thing to also consider is which DO schools want LOR from a practicing DO. as there are very few here in canada, many canadian pre-med students do not have the access to shadow or volunteer directly with a DO physician. if you can travel somewhere to get some exposure to a DO physician and get a LOR from him/her that is great, otherwise you need to choose schools that will accept a LOR from an MD physician.

if you have any questions at all feel free to post away or PM me. i am glad that more canadian students are considering the DO route. although it may not be for everybody, i think that many canadians go out of north america too quickly without considering different routes to become a doctor here in north america.

good luck all!
 
Last edited:
hi there!

i am a canadian entering my first year at a DO school this upcoming year. last year i went through AACOMAS's booklet and applied to (almost) every school that accepted canadians. i also called/emailed each school just to double check that canadians were considered for admission.

it ended up that i applied to ten DO programs and was accepted into three programs.

one thing to also consider is which DO schools want LOR from a practicing DO. as there are very few here in canada, many canadian pre-med students do not have the access to shadow or volunteer directly with a DO physician. if you can travel somewhere to get some exposure to a DO physician and get a LOR from him/her that is great, otherwise you need to choose schools that will accept a LOR from an MD physician.

if you have any questions at all feel free to post away or PM me. i am glad that more canadian students are considering the DO route. although it may not be for everybody, i think that many canadians go out of north america too quickly without considering different routes to become a doctor here in north america.

good luck all!

Hello Sydney -

I am a fellow Canadian also applying to D.O schools during this cycle. Can you please post which schools you felt were Canadian friendly? I have searched through the Book and I found 10.

cheers!

Vincent
 
hey!

i ended up applying to the following schools:
DMU-COM
KCUMB
MSU-COM (i applied but beware, the out-of-state tuition is ridiculously high)
Touro-NY
WesternU
PCOM
CCOM (Chicago & Georgia campuses)
Pikesville (i applied but wouldn't recommend that you apply since they send me a post card stating that they favour appalachian students and basically I shouldn't hold my breath)
UNECOM

i didn't finish all of the secondaries for the schools listed above, but did land three acceptances of the secondaries that i did complete.

Note: these are the schools that accepted canadians and did NOT require a LOR from a DO physician.
 
hey!

i ended up applying to the following schools:
DMU-COM
KCUMB
MSU-COM (i applied but beware, the out-of-state tuition is ridiculously high)
Touro-NY
WesternU
PCOM
CCOM (Chicago & Georgia campuses)
Pikesville (i applied but wouldn't recommend that you apply since they send me a post card stating that they favour appalachian students and basically I shouldn't hold my breath)
UNECOM

i didn't finish all of the secondaries for the schools listed above, but did land three acceptances of the secondaries that i did complete.

Note: these are the schools that accepted canadians and did NOT require a LOR from a DO physician.


thanks from a fellow Canadian!

i will be applying early next cycle
 
hey!

i ended up applying to the following schools:
DMU-COM
KCUMB
MSU-COM (i applied but beware, the out-of-state tuition is ridiculously high)
Touro-NY
WesternU
PCOM
CCOM (Chicago & Georgia campuses)
Pikesville (i applied but wouldn't recommend that you apply since they send me a post card stating that they favour appalachian students and basically I shouldn't hold my breath)
UNECOM

i didn't finish all of the secondaries for the schools listed above, but did land three acceptances of the secondaries that i did complete.

Note: these are the schools that accepted canadians and did NOT require a LOR from a DO physician.


Sidney, You ROX MY BOAT!

Thanks
 
hi there!

i am a canadian entering my first year at a DO school this upcoming year. last year i went through AACOMAS's booklet and applied to (almost) every school that accepted canadians. i also called/emailed each school just to double check that canadians were considered for admission.

it ended up that i applied to ten DO programs and was accepted into three programs.

one thing to also consider is which DO schools want LOR from a practicing DO. as there are very few here in canada, many canadian pre-med students do not have the access to shadow or volunteer directly with a DO physician. if you can travel somewhere to get some exposure to a DO physician and get a LOR from him/her that is great, otherwise you need to choose schools that will accept a LOR from an MD physician.

if you have any questions at all feel free to post away or PM me. i am glad that more canadian students are considering the DO route. although it may not be for everybody, i think that many canadians go out of north america too quickly without considering different routes to become a doctor here in north america.

good luck all!


hey sydney what kinda gpa/mcat did you have?
 
Hi

I am Canadian in the process of completing my secondaries.
I am having problem with my semester hours.
I just realized that AACOMAS listed my chem/orgo/physics labs hours as only 6 but arent courses without lab hours supposed to be 4 and courses WITH lab hours supposed to be 8 ?

Also, how does it work for a ONE-sem course with lab?

Any help is greatly appreciated!