Canadian going to the States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toroharo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to apply to PhD clinical psychology programs in the coming fall. Just want ask you guys which schools in the States are more welcoming to international (Canadian) students, especially in terms of financial assistance and past records of acceptance.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a Canadian who applied to a lot of US schools last year (although I'm going to a Canadian school after all that).

Most schools don't have a bias for/against Canadian students. The ones I talked to had the same tuition, financial assistance, etc for Canadians as for US students. The only real difference is that you'll need an I-20 form to cross the border as a student. So... apply wherever you'd like to go, I'd be really surprised to hear that any US school treated Canadians differently than local applicants.

Canadian going to the States here!

There are no real differences in how you're treated as an applicant. You technically count as "International," which makes you look a little sexier for program stats, but it's really not anything that's going to count significantly.

It does give you something to talk about at interviews (I convinced more than a few grad students that we drive on the opposite side of the road up here).

There are a few SMAL hoops through which you must jump as a non-US applicant. Potentially most significant would be proof of funds. You need to show that you or a family member has enough money to support you through the first year (usually something between 25k and 40k). One of my friends who applied to US schools said that he was able to get many of the schools to waive the forms though, since all the schools he applied to fully funded their students.

Funding in US schools is, on average, MUCH better in Canada in my experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jocknerd: Do they really care about program stats?
I am also an ethnic minority male, does that add to the international student piece? :eek:

I suddenly feel that I am so attractive to the programs!! :laugh:

Jocknerd: Do they really care about program stats?
I am also an ethnic minority male, does that add to the international student piece? :eek:

I suddenly feel that I am so attractive to the programs!! :laugh:

No; that's what I put the "but it's really not anything that's going to count significantly" in there. :p

Enough minority students apply to all programs, so schools have plenty of international students without giving anyone an edge.

I too am international (not Canada though) and an ethnic minority male starting grad school this August. I think many programs care about their stats a great deal, and being an international ethnic minority male can only work to your advantage as many of the applicants will be Caucasian American females. I imagine that well-reputed programs will try to admit a diverse class each year because it adds to the learning environment (cultural sensitivity etc. :D)

I think being an ethnic minority obviously won't hurt you, but I'd be careful about overestimating the extent to which it will help. I'm sure it will give you a leg up, but I also think that there are SO many qualified applicants, it's likely that quite a few of them will be ethnic minorities too. There are so many applicants for so few spots, that nothing short of being superhuman guarantees that you'll be vastly more attractive than other applicants. A lot of it is the work you put into your statements of purpose, fit with their program, and yes a lot of luck too.

(I'm not trying to be a pessimist, I just think that a very hard part of applications for me was getting over myself when the rejections rolled in. You're bound to get a few, and I'd be cautious about thinking that status as a minority would fast-track you).

Stop being such a pessimist RD! :mad:

Joking aside, judging by my application to interview ratio, the international ethnic minority male thing didn't work too well in my favor either :laugh:. It helps, but don't bank on it.

Yes.

With similar qualifications you are more likely to get a closer look or interview than a white male or female. Shouldn't work that way but it does. I'm sure it varies by school. Might as well use it to your advantage.

How about a U.S. student applying to canadian doctoral programs? Would it work the same way? My professor has her Ph.D from canada, so Canadian credentials could still be considered valid in the states right? Wow, I sound kind of ignorant..I don't know how that all works.

I was looking at the University of Ottawa and the University of Manitoba's Ph.D program.

U of M, eh? Fine school. In fact, I heard that two of their undergrad program grads this year were PARTICULARLY outstanding.

In-joke aside, I'd check out U of M's internship placement rate. As well, I don't think I've ever heard of a Canadian program offering tuition remission--an important point, since while domestic Canadian students pay a pittance for tuition, that is not the case for international students.

There's some craziness happening right now with the APA and Canadian schools. Either the APA decided to stop accrediting Canadian schools or it was a mutual decision, depending on who you ask :confused:. I don't know if that will have any bearing on anything (maybe internship sites will just ask for APA- or CPA-approved program grads, who know?).

U of M, eh? Fine school. In fact, I heard that two of their undergrad program grads this year were PARTICULARLY outstanding.

:laugh: Indeed, I hear they're both wonderful.

How about a U.S. student applying to canadian doctoral programs? Would it work the same way? My professor has her Ph.D from canada, so Canadian credentials could still be considered valid in the states right? Wow, I sound kind of ignorant..I don't know how that all works.

I was looking at the University of Ottawa and the University of Manitoba's Ph.D program.

I seem to remember that the U of Ottawa has a horrible match rate, but I could be mistaken. I do know it's known as mostly a party school but how much can PhD students party, I mean really? lol

Depending on who you ask, the APA either decided to stop accrediting Canadian schools or Canadian schools decided not to seek re-accreditation. In any case, all Canadian schools will lose their APA-accreditation by about 2012 I think, most of them before that. I have no idea how this will play out. I've asked a lot of different people because I hope to work in the US someday, and I get mixed reports. Technically a degree SHOULD be quite portable, but it's a gamble either way. I'd say it'll likely be fine.

I don't have any familiarity with Ottawa's program, but they have some great researchers there, so I wouldn't sweat a party rep too much.

Actually, I heard the school I'm going to (Madison) is supposed to be one of the top party schools in the US - what a relief! Alas, as with RD, I can't really see PhD students holding keggers 24/7, but maybe I'm just naive.

I was in Madison last week... or rather I drove through it. My first experience there was when I was 16 and got lost somewhere in the ghetto. Stopped at a convenience store to ask for directions and the guy working there had a peg leg and was drunk out of his mind. :laugh: But I'm sure Madison is quite lovely otherwise!

:laugh: Indeed, I hear they're both wonderful.

I seem to remember that the U of Ottawa has a horrible match rate, but I could be mistaken. I do know it's known as mostly a party school but how much can PhD students party, I mean really? lol

True...I think we got remember that undergard is different from grad. ;) I've always hated when non psych people say "But that school is so easy to get into! Why are you so worried about being rejected?" Um hello lol....You mean the undergrad programs are easy to get into, not the clinical psychology Ph.D programs.

I will ask my professor though.

As a personal comment, I stayed at the U of Ottawa for a week once and it's an absolutely fantastic atmosphere. The university itself is in a great location (walking distance from my favourite outdoor market of all time).

And well, I just graduated from the U of M so I have to love it don't I. :laugh: If you PM me the profs you're interested in working with I can tell you if they're scary or not.

The ones I talked to had the same tuition, financial assistance, etc for Canadians as for US students.

I've checked various schools, but their out of states tuition is much higher than in state. Do out-of-state students get remission for the in-state portion and pay the difference?

I've checked various schools, but their out of states tuition is much higher than in state. Do out-of-state students get remission for the in-state portion and pay the difference?

Are you sure that what you're seeing isn't for Undergrad tuition? I don't remember ever finding a PhD program that made out-of-state students pay more than local ones, although I could be wrong since it was a year ago that I was looking into it. Anybody know about this?

Are you sure that what you're seeing isn't for Undergrad tuition? I don't remember ever finding a PhD program that made out-of-state students pay more than local ones, although I could be wrong since it was a year ago that I was looking into it. Anybody know about this?

Several of the programs I applied to did indeed have different tuition rates for out-of-state vs. in-state residents. Thankfully, a good number of them also provide you with an out-of-state tuition waiver (as does the program I will be entering this Fall). However, there are a few out there that simply pay your in-state tuition (if they do this) and then you are responsible for the difference between the in-state and out-of-state tuition--making it even more important to check the requirements to be declared an in-state resident. Some are fairly easy, whereas others are practically impossible for those moving in for educational purposes primarily.