Canadian GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamin89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question concerning GPA. I'm a Canadian student with a GPA of 73.09% (thats what it says on my transcript) which is a 3.0. However, Optomcas has calculated my GPA to be 2.76 which puts my grade down by a lot and totally puts me at a disadvantage. Will the schools that I'm applying to look at the optomcas GPA or the 73.09% on my official transcript? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

i had the exact same concern when i applied for schools in the US. i averaged an 83% in my freshman year at this post-secondary institute we have in quebec, but they gave me a 2.76 GPA which was absolutely absurd and not indicative of my efforts at all. however, i've received interviews for 6 schools thus far. some schools are extremely ignorant about this discrepancy (i had a near 2 hour conversation trying to explain this discrepancy with a school that will not be named), but i guess a lot of them have been understanding of my situation thus far.

so there is hope! =)

i had the exact same concern when i applied for schools in the US. i averaged an 83% in my freshman year at this post-secondary institute we have in quebec, but they gave me a 2.76 GPA which was absolutely absurd and not indicative of my efforts at all. however, i've received interviews for 6 schools thus far. some schools are extremely ignorant about this discrepancy (i had a near 2 hour conversation trying to explain this discrepancy with a school that will not be named), but i guess a lot of them have been understanding of my situation thus far.

so there is hope! =)

Most optometry schools understand that the Canadian system of testing and calculating GPAs doesn't translate well to the system here and they account for that. Throw your application in.