Canadian MD to USA residency/attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack Marcos

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m a Canadian medical student and hoping to practice in the unites states one day. I have family there, and additionally there have been multiple studies as of late discussing the incredibly poor job market in Canada for neurosurgeons. I also understand that if I do my neurosurgery residency here in Canada (if I get in) I will NOT be able to become board certified in the unites states unfortunately. So I have a couple of questions hopefully some people will have insights on this.

1) what can I do to give myself the best possible chance to get a neurosurgery residency in the US? I haven’t seen a lot of data on anyone doing it but how do US residencies view Canadians?

2) I know that neurosurgeons can practice in the states without being board certified but what is the cost of that? What are the main limitations/drawbacks on not being board certified and practicing in the states?

thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I’m a Canadian medical student and hoping to practice in the unites states one day. I have family there, and additionally there have been multiple studies as of late discussing the incredibly poor job market in Canada for neurosurgeons. I also understand that if I do my neurosurgery residency here in Canada (if I get in) I will NOT be able to become board certified in the unites states unfortunately. So I have a couple of questions hopefully some people will have insights on this.

1) what can I do to give myself the best possible chance to get a neurosurgery residency in the US? I haven’t seen a lot of data on anyone doing it but how do US residencies view Canadians?

2) I know that neurosurgeons can practice in the states without being board certified but what is the cost of that? What are the main limitations/drawbacks on not being board certified and practicing in the states?

thanks guys
1) The University of Toronto is a world famous institution including Sick Kids. There are number of well known faculty across all domains of neurosurgery. I do not have any insight how hard is to match into that program, but the current residents/alums have all been outstanding. If you could land up there, you would be in great shape for a career in academic neurosurgery. I have not met a graduate of a Canadian medical school in a US neurosurgery residency, but there are many Canadian citizens that did medical school here in the US and stayed for residency.

2. The cost of not being board certified is marginal. Essentially, the only restriction that many private hospitals will not hire you if you are not board eligible or board certified. Many faculty in the US that trained in the UK, Europe, Australia are not board certified by ABNS. They all practice in top academic medical centers without issue. There are many Canadian trained faculty at American departments that follow in this model.

Reactions: 1 user
The Montreal Neurological Institute at McGill has produced great academic neurosurgeons in the US and a lot of US residents do fellowships there. Outside of these two top places, there are academics who've trained at other great programs throughout Canada. It's definitely possible

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1) The University of Toronto is a world famous institution including Sick Kids. There are number of well known faculty across all domains of neurosurgery. I do not have any insight how hard is to match into that program, but the current residents/alums have all been outstanding. If you could land up there, you would be in great shape for a career in academic neurosurgery. I have not met a graduate of a Canadian medical school in a US neurosurgery residency, but there are many Canadian citizens that did medical school here in the US and stayed for residency.

2. The cost of not being board certified is marginal. Essentially, the only restriction that many private hospitals will not hire you if you are not board eligible or board certified. Many faculty in the US that trained in the UK, Europe, Australia are not board certified by ABNS. They all practice in top academic medical centers without issue. There are many Canadian trained faculty at American departments that follow in this model.
Thanks for the insight, definitely aiming to get into UofT residency.

The Montreal Neurological Institute at McGill has produced great academic neurosurgeons in the US and a lot of US residents do fellowships there. Outside of these two top places, there are academics who've trained at other great programs throughout Canada. It's definitely possible
that is great to hear, thank you.