Mar 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello all,

I’m a Canadian medical student and hoping to practice in the unites states one day. I have family there, and additionally there have been multiple studies as of late discussing the incredibly poor job market in Canada for neurosurgeons. I also understand that if I do my neurosurgery residency here in Canada (if I get in) I will NOT be able to become board certified in the unites states unfortunately. So I have a couple of questions hopefully some people will have insights on this.

1) what can I do to give myself the best possible chance to get a neurosurgery residency in the US? I haven’t seen a lot of data on anyone doing it but how do US residencies view Canadians?

2) I know that neurosurgeons can practice in the states without being board certified but what is the cost of that? What are the main limitations/drawbacks on not being board certified and practicing in the states?

thanks guys

ValentinNarcisse

7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hello all,

I’m a Canadian medical student and hoping to practice in the unites states one day. I have family there, and additionally there have been multiple studies as of late discussing the incredibly poor job market in Canada for neurosurgeons. I also understand that if I do my neurosurgery residency here in Canada (if I get in) I will NOT be able to become board certified in the unites states unfortunately. So I have a couple of questions hopefully some people will have insights on this.

1) what can I do to give myself the best possible chance to get a neurosurgery residency in the US? I haven’t seen a lot of data on anyone doing it but how do US residencies view Canadians?

2) I know that neurosurgeons can practice in the states without being board certified but what is the cost of that? What are the main limitations/drawbacks on not being board certified and practicing in the states?

thanks guys
1) The University of Toronto is a world famous institution including Sick Kids. There are number of well known faculty across all domains of neurosurgery. I do not have any insight how hard is to match into that program, but the current residents/alums have all been outstanding. If you could land up there, you would be in great shape for a career in academic neurosurgery. I have not met a graduate of a Canadian medical school in a US neurosurgery residency, but there are many Canadian citizens that did medical school here in the US and stayed for residency.

2. The cost of not being board certified is marginal. Essentially, the only restriction that many private hospitals will not hire you if you are not board eligible or board certified. Many faculty in the US that trained in the UK, Europe, Australia are not board certified by ABNS. They all practice in top academic medical centers without issue. There are many Canadian trained faculty at American departments that follow in this model.

Reactions: 1 user

BronxBomber

5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The Montreal Neurological Institute at McGill has produced great academic neurosurgeons in the US and a lot of US residents do fellowships there. Outside of these two top places, there are academics who've trained at other great programs throughout Canada. It's definitely possible

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
Mar 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
1) The University of Toronto is a world famous institution including Sick Kids. There are number of well known faculty across all domains of neurosurgery. I do not have any insight how hard is to match into that program, but the current residents/alums have all been outstanding. If you could land up there, you would be in great shape for a career in academic neurosurgery. I have not met a graduate of a Canadian medical school in a US neurosurgery residency, but there are many Canadian citizens that did medical school here in the US and stayed for residency.

2. The cost of not being board certified is marginal. Essentially, the only restriction that many private hospitals will not hire you if you are not board eligible or board certified. Many faculty in the US that trained in the UK, Europe, Australia are not board certified by ABNS. They all practice in top academic medical centers without issue. There are many Canadian trained faculty at American departments that follow in this model.
Thanks for the insight, definitely aiming to get into UofT residency.

Mar 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
The Montreal Neurological Institute at McGill has produced great academic neurosurgeons in the US and a lot of US residents do fellowships there. Outside of these two top places, there are academics who've trained at other great programs throughout Canada. It's definitely possible
that is great to hear, thank you.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.