Canadian med student considering USMLE question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arrowx7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm a 2nd year med student in Ontario, Canada. I was considering writing USMLE step 1 this summer, and had a few questions. I am not planning on doing my residency in the US, but I haven't rulled out fellowships and full practice.

1. I've heard that about 10 states require USMLE for Canadians to get a license. Is the general trend moving towards making LMCC equal to USMLE exams? I.e. is it likely I won't need the USMLE in the future for fellowships and full practice?

2. How painful is it to study for the USMLE Step 1 and beyond while in our residency, if, lets say, you plan to do a fellowship? Has anyone done this?

I'm sitting on the fence because I am pretty certain i won't be doing residency in the US. If the chance I will need it is less than 10%, there is no real point for extra stress, time and money.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
I'm a 2nd year med student in Ontario, Canada. I was considering writing USMLE step 1 this summer, and had a few questions. I am not planning on doing my residency in the US, but I haven't rulled out fellowships and full practice.

1. I've heard that about 10 states require USMLE for Canadians to get a license. Is the general trend moving towards making LMCC equal to USMLE exams? I.e. is it likely I won't need the USMLE in the future for fellowships and full practice?

not in the forseeable future.

2. How painful is it to study for the USMLE Step 1 and beyond while in our residency, if, lets say, you plan to do a fellowship? Has anyone done this?

Step 1 is a VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYY painful exam to have to study for in residency as it heavily weighs on the basic sciences. I strongly suggest if you're going to do the exam, the optimal time is the summer between your 2nd and 3rd year of med school!

I'm sitting on the fence because I am pretty certain i won't be doing residency in the US. If the chance I will need it is less than 10%, there is no real point for extra stress, time and money.

the alternative is to only apply to fellowships in the states that grant equivalence to MCCQE.. however, if you decide to change your mind later on for whatever reasons, then studying for step 1 then is going to suck way more than studying for it now.

Thanks for your help!

g'luck!

You shouldn't need the USMLE to do a fellowship - I'm doing one right now, the school recognizes my Canadian MD.
But. I cannot write the fellowship exam, since for that I would require a US license (and not just the training license I have as a fellow).

For licensing in the US, it's kind of weird. There are many states that recognize our MD and licensing tests as equivalent and will license you - but the federal government does not, so it's not the getting licensed but the getting a visa to work in the US that's so hard (in those states). It can take years to get a visa even if you're going to a state that is willing to license you with Canadian degree and no US tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
As A Canadian med student, I will be doing the USMLE Step 1.

I am also considering practice in the US. What is involved in obtaining a Visa so as to be able to work in USA? Any information would be appreciated.

For Cdn med students writing Step 1, what is the reason? Are you applying for US residency/fellowship?

I agree with above. Studying for the STEP 1 is quite painful. If you decide to take it, I would definitely try to do it while you are still in med school. Even though the basic sciences are tested heavily. I have heard having some clinical experience can help also. I took it at the end of my 2nd year....