Canadian paying for US med school

Started by tekken3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tekken3

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I'm a canadian citizen going to wayne state (detroit) next year, and I was wondering what are my options for finding loans to pay for this? Is it fairly easy for a canadian student to get a line of credit frmo a canadian bank, to pay for a US school?

if anyone has any insight or has been through a simliar situation, could you describe your finanical plan for your years in med school?
 
It's hard. I worked ALOT and saved before med school, lived on a small budget during med school, and borrowed $ where I could.Its tough to get a line of credit from a canadian bank without a co-signer. There used to be TERI/Canhelp loan, but I think those are gone (for a good reason).
 
im trying to convince my parents to be co-signers; if they agree, is it still easy to get a LOC from a cdn bank if you're going to the US? I've looked up some of the websites for soem cdn banks,and they all mention LOC info if you go to a cdn school.

are there any other tips/place you know wehre money could be borrowed? or just things i should look out for when i try to pay for this ?
 
im trying to convince my parents to be co-signers; if they agree, is it still easy to get a LOC from a cdn bank if you're going to the US? I've looked up some of the websites for soem cdn banks,and they all mention LOC info if you go to a cdn school.

are there any other tips/place you know wehre money could be borrowed? or just things i should look out for when i try to pay for this ?

I've talked to RBC and mentioned that Im plannig to go US med school they said that most probably they will need a co signer who will stay in country, but if the school is Canadian you can borrow up to 150K without a co-singer as they count ur "projected income" as a doctor.