Canadian Pharmacists working in US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Requiem

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I have searched through the forums but I couldn't find this exact issue pinpointed anywhere, so here goes:

What is the current situation regarding eligibility for a canadian pharmacist, with a B.Sc Pharm (from a Canadian University) to then work in the United States?

Any exact criteria statements or laws would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Requiem said:
Ok guys I have searched through the forums but I couldn't find this exact issue pinpointed anywhere, so here goes:

What is the current situation regarding eligibility for a canadian pharmacist, with a B.Sc Pharm (from a Canadian University) to then work in the United States?

Any exact criteria statements or laws would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

No worries. Talk to Rite Aid. They will fall all over themselves helping you get licensed. They have an opening at their store in Yelm :rolleyes:

Hello:

Did you come from the French-speaking Laval or one of the English curriculum schools (Toronto, Memorial, UBC)? If you're from Laval, you have the same entrance requirements as someone coming in from any other foreign nation, which means no Pharm.D., no license. If you have a degree from an English speaking curriculum, you may be in luck.

It really depends on the state. MN has quite an open policy and all you have to do in addition to the NAPLEX and MPJE is submit your hours and appear before the board once to certify that you're a living, breathing entity. We have a special relationship with the Ontario College of Pharmacists (the MN board's equalvalent) and I believe the process is even more streamlined for those who have registry with them or the affiated University of Toronto.

Here's the official requirements for my state:
http://www.phcybrd.state.mn.us/canada.htm

Other states may require FPGEC, but ours does not. You should not have too much trouble from the other states if you have a English one. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The NAPB has stated the following:
Beginning January 1, 2003, the FPGEC will require that the pharmacy program that each candidate completed must have been at least a five-year curriculum at the time of graduation.

Lord999, I see that even MN now requires the FPGEC for new graduates. Does the Canadian 1 minimum pre-professional year + 4 professional year programs meet this 5-year requirement?

And is it me, or does it seem like every pharmacy licensing website has not been proofread and was designed by monkeys? Technically I will never be able to get licensed in NY, MN's licensing body can't spell "Canadian" and NABP.net doesn't work in Firefox. Ugh...

With a US PharmD, I'm pretty sure you're exempt from the PEBC, which is Canada's equivalent to the US exams. I think you just need to write the jurisprudence exam and your visa/citizenship and you can work. Demand in Canada is probably about as high as it is in the USA in many areas, but the pay isn't quite as good, but still very good.

Ok guys, i'll just clarify my program a little more.

Yes, i'm from the english section (Memorial University of Newfoundland), and my program is 5 years (1 year -prereqs, 4 years pharmacy school)

I cringe when I read the guidelines for the french-curriculum or the international students.. 1600 hours of internship, ouch.

Actually, they're still debating the issue, and as of right now, they are allowing pharmacists who entered prior to the closure to examine (due to promises made earlier by MN Board), hence, the appearing in front of the board part.

Actually, I'm not exempt from the PEBC as a Pharm.D. I know. I actually owe Ontario some hours to get that damn license done. By the way, your PEBC is hard, damn hard to pass! Why do they torture you with all that science?

Out of curiosity to the Memorial student, did you know that your university had a wierd way of training pharmacists? Look up its history, I think you'll be amazed at the track record the program has (it's an extremely good one). You should have no worries passing the US boards.

SomeGuy said:
The NAPB has stated the following:

Lord999, I see that even MN now requires the FPGEC for new graduates. Does the Canadian 1 minimum pre-professional year + 4 professional year programs meet this 5-year requirement?

And is it me, or does it seem like every pharmacy licensing website has not been proofread and was designed by monkeys? Technically I will never be able to get licensed in NY, MN's licensing body can't spell "Canadian" and NABP.net doesn't work in Firefox. Ugh...

With a US PharmD, I'm pretty sure you're exempt from the PEBC, which is Canada's equivalent to the US exams. I think you just need to write the jurisprudence exam and your visa/citizenship and you can work. Demand in Canada is probably about as high as it is in the USA in many areas, but the pay isn't quite as good, but still very good.

Alrighty, well, I've just looked up Ontario's regulatory requirements to practise, and it seems that US and Canadian grads have to write the same exams, the PEBC Qualifying exam and the jurisprudence exam. If you're from outside of Canada and the USA (and presumably that ACPE-licensed PharmD school in Lebanon), you have to write those two, plus the PEBC Evaluating Exam.

It seems most (all?) states will take Canadians that graduated between 1993 and 2004 with just Naplex and MJPE and no FPGEE, since the ACPE recognized the education as equivalent. I don't see this changing really, since the Canadian curriculum changed in 1993 (I think) to actually be based on the US' PharmD program, but in a 4 year BSc format.

Luckily many states still leave their Canadian internship hour exemptions to all Canadian grads.

Canadians who graduated after 2004 seem to be at the mercy of each state's board.

Its funny, because I think I'm actually going to have to take the TSE and TOEFL if I want to work get licensed in the US :)

*bump*

How about Université de Montréal students? They just recently launched an entry level PharmD, but it's 4.5 years, not 5. It's a francophone program, and someone mentionned ULaval being treated as internationals because, I'm guessing, they study in French. UdeM is also a French university :confused:

(I dunno if bumping threads is frowned upon. I searched my question and the thread doesn't answer it.)

Want to bump this thread for updated information since its almost been 3 years since the last valuable post on this topic.

Along with working in the retail setting, can someone provide information on how a residency works if I want to go into the more clinical side of things?

u dont' have to write the fpgee in 3 states. washington is one of them and 2 other weird ones... i'm working in washington now. and only 300 internship hours required here. very easy to get a job, all the companies will apply for a TN visa for u to work here