Canadian Pharmacy Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prankster

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was hoping someone may be able to give me some insight. My wife is a 4th year Canadian pharmacy student and has been approved to do a rotation (that will not count towards intern hours in the USA) in Pennsylvania. The rotation has been approved by both the hospital and her school of pharmacy. However, we want to make sure that we have covered all of our bases. She cannot register as an intern in PA because she is not a graduate yet (and therefore has not completed FPGEE). Is there any reason she cannot rotate in the hospital by PA law if she is not an intern, just a student doing a student rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

In order to do anything other than merely observe (which is not the point of rotations) she will need an intern license. I don't know how it works in Canada, but why is she not able to register as an intern in PA through the PA board? Did they specifically say that she can't register as an INTERN until she graduates? There are interns, graduate interns, and then pharmacist licenses issued through the boards. Check again on this and see why she can't register as an intern. But I guarantee, if she doesn't get a license and the place she's rotating at is audited, someone gets in trouble.

I took a look at the PA BOP website - odd documentation. Your best bet would be to call the board directly ASAP to get an answer and get the paperwork rolling.

(Even being an American citizen, we have to obtain an intern license at each state in which we want to complete a rotation).