Canadian Psychology Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all:
Hope this helps- I have applied to 8 MA clinical psychology programs and been rejected by 6:
Rejected: UBC, UVic (neuropsych stream), UWO, Waterloo, Queens, SFU (forensic)
STILL waiting on: York and McGill (like the rest of ya it seems like!)

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard back from UNB -- rejections or waitlisted?
My online application status hasn't changed since I submitted my application.

I had a phone interview at the very beginning of February. Beginning of March got an email from POI asking if I wanted to be considered for the Masters program. So it was safe to assume I didn't get into the PhD. Got the acceptance letter for Masters late March.

Rejected from McGill via website!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was finally going to settle on my decision yesterday and then suddenly got an email from my POI at the University of Victoria asking for an interview! I thought for sure that I had already been rejected from them as I didn't hear back for an interview in February and early March. Don't give up guys...there's still a chance at this point :)! Did anyone else interview or is planning to go to UVic?

Hi, i interviewed with my POI at UVic via Skype in January, and I am still waiting to hear the admission decision (longest 2+ months everrrr). I have heard from the department that the decision is likely going to be based on whether the POI receives a grant. I am from the US, so I will be considered an international student and must have funding to get a student visa. If I am accepted, I do plan to go. Which program are you applying to at UVic? :)

Hi all:
Hope this helps- I have applied to 8 MA clinical psychology programs and been rejected by 6:
Rejected: UBC, UVic (neuropsych stream), UWO, Waterloo, Queens, SFU (forensic)
STILL waiting on: York and McGill (like the rest of ya it seems like!)
I was rejected from York's Clin Psych a month ago by mail, even though I was shortlisted. So this might be good news for you if you haven't been rejected yet :)

A friend of mine received her acceptance letter, and accepted already.

I love how York takes forever with their rejections. I haven't gotten rejected yet, which I think might mean I am on their shortlist (that's what happened last year) so I will probably receive a rejection letter in July.
I was shortlisted and rejected by mail a month ago, by York U

I was rejected from York's Clin Psych a month ago by mail, even though I was shortlisted. So this might be good news for you if you haven't been rejected yet :)

I was shortlisted and rejected by mail a month ago, by York U

Really? For the Master's program? Sorry to hear you were rejected though, I know how you feel! Even the thought of the possibility makes me happy as I've been rejected from 7 schools at this point haha. Thanks for letting me know!! :)

I got an acceptance from my POI for UVic today! Hurray!!

Now to decide between UVic and Windsor for neuropsych...

I got an acceptance from my POI for UVic today! Hurray!!

Now to decide between UVic and Windsor for neuropsych...

CONGRATULATIONS! What are your major considerations?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

UVic's clinical program has a better reputation (I think) than Windsor, and has more research opportunities. I have good research fits with my POIs at both schools, but my POI at UVic is fairly new and only has one grad student. However, the POI seems to have funding in the lab (whereas the other POI doesn't) and a lot of projects going on, which really appeals to me.

Windsor has a more diverse range of clinical opportunities, and from talking to the students, it seems that the clinical training is top-notch. I think I really need to think which aspect (i.e. clinical or research) is more important to me and what my long term goals are. However, I do want to keep my options open to an academic/research career in the future, so I think UVic will satisfy that goal better.

The major factor that is giving me so much grief though is the fact that Victoria is on the west coast, and far far away from my partner in Ontario :(. He's stuck there and cannot come with me as he is in the middle of his own grad studies. Plus I haven't had a chance to actually visit the UVic campus (as I was only invited for a Skype interview this week) and did not get a "feel" for the program. So much internal conflict!

First of all, congrats! I'm not sure what kind of research you are doing per se, but your supervisor being well funded is extremely important. It gives you a lot more flexibility in what you can do research wise, allows your supervisor the ability to hire undergrads to help you out when you'll be busier with practicums in upper years, etc. I work with animal models, so it's extremely important to me. I don't have much experience in human based research, so it could be different.

But you have to consider the costs associated with any study and having a supervisor who is well funded is a huge factor. Maybe you should talk to one of each POI's grad students about these things to see if you can find out more. Find out A) funding situation, B) publication records (pubs will be important for internship/external awards), etc

Also, there are only 3 CPA accredited Neuropsychology internship sites in Canada now (we'll be cut off from APA accredited sites come our internship days), so those are going to be extremely competitive. Having top-notch experience would definitely be really beneficial in matching to your preferred internship site.

Just things to consider, hope that helps!

Also, there are only 3 CPA accredited Neuropsychology internship sites in Canada now (we'll be cut off from APA accredited sites come our internship days), so those are going to be extremely competitive. Having top-notch experience would definitely be really beneficial in matching to your preferred internship site.

Seriously?? I didn't know that we'd be cut off from APA accredited sites in the states. Where did you hear this from? That would be really disappointing if true as there are tons of really good neuropsychology internship sites in the states.

Thanks for your input. I realize that lab funding is a big factor, and am definitely weighing this in my decision.

Seriously?? I didn't know that we'd be cut off from APA accredited sites in the states. Where did you hear this from? That would be really disappointing if true as there are tons of really good neuropsychology internship sites in the states.

Thanks for your input. I realize that lab funding is a big factor, and am definitely weighing this in my decision.

I interviewed for Windsor's adult track and was very disheartened when I asked about the number of publications students typically leave with. I was told that it is not at all uncommon for students to leave with no papers at all. For me and my goals that is a huge problem and raised some major flags. If students are working on two theses over 5-6 years, what is it about the research that makes it unacceptable to journals? Why are people wasting 5+ years on research that is not going to contribute?

I don't know if that is the case for the neuro track.

I was in a similar situation with my partner. He is half way through his graduate studies. We've been together for ~6 years. Before I applied to schools this round we had a long conversation about how to plan the future. My partner is going to start his post-doc in 2 or 3 years, and I decided that given that the post-doc could be anywhere, it didn't make sense for me to base a huge decision on where he was now. Making a decision based on his whereabouts would not make me happy. I know that if I had made a decision based on his location, if I weren't thrilled with the program I would end-up resenting him. For me the resentment was a bigger issue than the distance. Obviously YMMV.

Point being, talk to your partner.

Members don't see this ad :)
From talking to the students at Windsor during the open house, I also got the impression that students were more focused on clinical training and few students had the goal of doing research in the future. My POI said that they do encourage students to publish, but I didn't ask about the actual number of publications students had after completing the program. I had the impression that the lack of publications was more so due to students' goals in clinical as opposed to research work, and not because of the program or unpublishable research. However, I think this may have been more to convince myself that I can still get a ton of publications if I go to Windsor. I definitely see where you are coming from.

How important do you think the reputation of a program is for a research/academia job? UVic is obviously the better choice in terms of research, but do you think one would be able to get a research position in the future if one goes to a not-so-research-focused school but come out with a few high quality publications?

I agree ^^ there is definitely no such thing as an unpublishable program, it's ultimately up to the student and how much effort they put into that side of things.

It's no secret that some people in Canada go into clinical PhD programs often aren't very interested in research. We don't have the PsyD programs like the states, except Memorial, so the research factor here is just the means to an end in these cases = research becomes secondary = their research output might not be the same calibre as someone who is really passionate about it and giving it their all = possibly why certain individuals have less publications.

On the flip side, you could also probably find students at any program who are more dedicated to their research, etc, etc, etc.

What it comes down to is how good your supervisor is at publishing - is he/she respected in their devision of the field? Will having their name on your manuscripts help? How are other students in their lab doing so far?

+ I also don't think that reputation is an issue here, within the field of the psychology who says UVic is better than Windsor? It's not like there is an "ivy league" clinical doctoral program in Canada that will blow everyone out of the water because you went there. In the end it won't matter which program you went to, what matters is what you do with your time in the program.

just trying to put out a different perspective on things.

I think you need to go to UVic!

I can see why you say this based on my comment. I do consider myself to be career-oriented. However, I also place great value on my relationship and family, and in the end, I think it is what's most important to me. It is really hard to sacrifice my relationship to go to UVic.

Is there a date that Canadian schools have to let us know by? I heard April 16th, but some people have thought that that is not consistent.

Also, has anyone heard from Lakehead (master's), Dal or McGill?

Is there a date that Canadian schools have to let us know by? I heard April 16th, but some people have thought that that is not consistent.

Also, has anyone heard from Lakehead (master's), Dal or McGill?

Yes- McGill for clinical psych (Master's/Ph.D), applying as an undergrad. Rejected! Heard from them a week ago via website/email

Yes- McGill for clinical psych (Master's/Ph.D), applying as an undergrad. Rejected! Heard from them a week ago via website/email
Can you PM me who you applied to work with?

Finally made my decision...I officially accepted at Windsor! In the end, I went with my gut feeling. Although I may be missing out on more research opportunities, I felt a better fit overall. Someone had told me: no matter where you go, you can still become a clinical psychologist in the end.

Anyways, I'll just so happy and relieved to have decided, and am super pumped to begin :D! Message me if you are also planning to go to Windsor!

Oh and not sure if anyone here is waitlisted for Victoria, but I hope you will hear from them soon :).

Finally made my decision...I officially accepted at Windsor! In the end, I went with my gut feeling. Although I may be missing out on more research opportunities, I felt a better fit overall. Someone had told me: no matter where you go, you can still become a clinical psychologist in the end.

Anyways, I'll just so happy and relieved to have decided, and am super pumped to begin :D! Message me if you are also planning to go to Windsor!

Oh and not sure if anyone here is waitlisted for Victoria, but I hope you will hear from them soon :).

Congrats! I still have not received any decision from UVic :(-- very stressful. Although, the graduate advisor has been in contact with me a few times recently, the POI has not informed me of anything. The grad advisor said she does not even know what is going on with the decision..

Maybe I am on a waitlist? I don't know. I was never even informed of that possibility either..

best of luck to you at Windsor!

Congrats! I still have not received any decision from UVic :(-- very stressful. Although, the graduate advisor has been in contact with me a few times recently, the POI has not informed me of anything. The grad advisor said she does not even know what is going on with the decision..

Maybe I am on a waitlist? I don't know. I was never even informed of that possibility either..

best of luck to you at Windsor!
A friend of mine was accepted to UVic two days ago. Had a skype interview. She was waitlisted before.

External awards - Y u take so long to release results this year??? I am dying to find out, last year it seems like results were released much earlier. Hopefully we hear something soon..

External awards - Y u take so long to release results this year??? I am dying to find out, last year it seems like results were released much earlier. Hopefully we hear something soon..

I know!!! Grrrr...

Also, finally received my rejection from York. Shortlisted just like last time.

I know!!! Grrrr...

I was reading a thread on GradCafe where someone posted an e-mail from their department saying OGS results would be released on the 14th. Not sure if that's true or not, but either way shouldn't be too much longer (if that's who you're waiting to hear from).

:)

I was reading a thread on GradCafe where someone posted an e-mail from their department saying OGS results would be released on the 14th. Not sure if that's true or not, but either way shouldn't be too much longer (if that's who you're waiting to hear from).

:)

You/GradCafe were/was right! OGS results are up.

I thought I should bump this thread for some of us who are applying to Canadian schools :) There usually isn't a lot of activity on Canadian school threads so I thought using last year's thread to keep all relevant information in one thread would be better. But of course, if others think it's better to make a new thread, that would also be great too!

Good luck everyone :luck:

Anyone else applying to Canadian schools?

Has anyone applied to OGS/SSHRC/CIHR/NSERC?

The new system for OGS is quite confusing -- I liked it better when it was a centralized application.
I was given the link for Queen's only a few days before the actual deadline so I decided not to apply because I already applied to SSHRC anyways.

Anyone else applying to Canadian schools?

I'm applying to both American and Canadian schools. I've already applied to the University of Saskatchewan and will be applying to University of New Brunswick, Lakehead University, and University of Regina.

I am applying to OISE, Ryerson, York and UBC. As well as three American Schools. Has anyone heard anything from these schools yet?

I haven't heard back from any Canadian schools. Neither has anyone I know. I have heard back from one American university, so far.

I haven't heard back from any Canadian schools. Neither has anyone I know. I have heard back from one American university, so far.
Any news from Canadian schools yet? This is driving me crazy!

I know!! The amount of time a day I waste on these forums is ridiculous. I just want to know so I can go on with my life.

I know!! The amount of time a day I waste on these forums is ridiculous. I just want to know so I can go on with my life.
Which Canadian schools did you apply to? I applied to Concordia, McGill, Queen's, Western Ontario and York.

Which Canadian schools did you apply to? I applied to Concordia, McGill, Queen's, Western Ontario and York.

I applied to University of Regina, University of Saskatchewan, Lakehead University, and University of New Brunswick.

Congrats on your acceptance! You are seriously lucky to have a 100% acceptance rate :).

Has anyone heard anything fom U. of Victoria or Windsor?
I spoke to someone in the dept at Windsor on Wed Feb 13th, she said there was a meeting that morning about applications but she hasn't heard anything about who will be interviewed yet. She is quite certain by the end of next week we should be invited for phone interviews. Usually they email first to set up a skype or phone interview.

Hi everyone, I have applied to UOttawa. I haven't heard anything back yet. Anyone else heard?

I am wondering if anyone else out there has applied to any Canadian Clinical Psychology Programs? If you have, has anyone heard back about interviews or acceptances?

I have applied to the programs at Dalhousie, Queens, Waterloo, UBC, Calgary, and York. I have had pre-interviews with Waterloo and UBC and now I begun the long wait for formal responses :xf:

Best of luck to everyone!

I'm currently working on applications to a few different universities :) Reading this thus far has been helpful! Anyone applying?