Canadian Psychology Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JennaDaisy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone else out there has applied to any Canadian Clinical Psychology Programs? If you have, has anyone heard back about interviews or acceptances?

I have applied to the programs at Dalhousie, Queens, Waterloo, UBC, Calgary, and York. I have had pre-interviews with Waterloo and UBC and now I begun the long wait for formal responses :xf:

Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your pre-interviews! That is a huge deal! I've applied to York as well, among others, and have heard nothing. Sigh.

Wow! You had a pre-interview at UBC already? Congrats! I emailed my POI yesterday and she told me that no one has seen the application packages yet because the graduate secretary is not done with organizing the documents. Do you mind PMing me who your POI is? I understand if you don't want to :)
I hope I hear from them soon too!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to uOttawa. I had a pre-interview with my POI & one of his graduate students. Now it's just a waiting game I guess.

Hi there,
congratulations on your pre-interview
I was wondering who your POI is? What exactly is a pre-interview? had they contacted you after you submitted your application?

i have applied to uottawa, mcgill, ryerson, sfu, OISE and Queens. good luck to everyone!

Hi all, another Canadian applicant here.

I applied to all Ph.D clinical programs. Regina, Concordia and Waterloo in Canada, and USC and Ohio in the States. Concordia and Regina are my top two choices (have met both supervisors, perfect fit). Still waiting to here from both, though I imagine we won't here much until late January or early February, since the deadlines were later (Dec 15th for Concordia, and January 15th for Regina).

Hi there,
congratulations on your pre-interview
I was wondering who your POI is? What exactly is a pre-interview? had they contacted you after you submitted your application?

i have applied to uottawa, mcgill, ryerson, sfu, OISE and Queens. good luck to everyone!

My POI asked me to meet with him in person (we live in the same city so this was not difficult) to ask me about my research interests, career goals, why clinical, etc. I was also interviewed by one of his students, I think to just make sure I'd be a good fit for the lab and to get an idea what the program is actually like.

I'm not sure if Canadian schools have formal interviews, at least I don't think uOttawa does. I do know that you may have to do a French interview over the phone if you indicated that you are a bilingual applicant.

Good luck with your applications! :)

Hey guys,

I haven't heard from any schools yet, but a friend of mine was invited to the Queen's Open House last week. He's also had psych science interviews from Brock and Trent.

I don't think any other Canadian schools have really started interviews/invites.

I have applied to UBC, SFU, York, Ryerson, Western, & Windsor in Canada, and Duke, UOregon, UWisconsin, and UUtah in the States.

I know a few people have been poking around for more info on the Canadian program invites on the Invite thread but I thought I'd relocate my own queries to this thread to keep it simple. Has anyone heard anything from UBC (clinical) and McGill (also clinical)? Thanks! :)

I know a few people have been poking around for more info on the Canadian program invites on the Invite thread but I thought I'd relocate my own queries to this thread to keep it simple. Has anyone heard anything from UBC (clinical) and McGill (also clinical)? Thanks! :)

Given that the deadline for UBC hasn't passed yet, I wouldn't expect to hear anything.

Last year people I know received invites for interviews at McGill end of January, with interviews scheduled for middle/end of February (the 19th/20th).

I'm glad to see there are many of us applying to Canadian schools. It was really hard to find this information on the general invite thread so I was a little scared I was the only one!

Thanks for all the support! :) And congratulations to all the people who have had their pre-interviews! I have found out through my POIs that most of the schools will send out first round invites later this month for in person interviews in February.
This next month will be tense!!

Based on the forums from the last couple of years, it looks like most Canadian schools tend to send out interview invites in the second half of January/early February.
Could be really helpful if people can post the date they are contacted from a specific school, since there's nothing yet on the general 2011-2012 Interview forum.

I just heard from someone at Ryerson that they have not even begun reviewing applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've spoken to people at both Concordia and Regina, and it seems that they are just know starting to look at applications. Regina will likely send out invites/acceptances around the first week of February, Concordia possibly a little sooner.

For anyone applied to Ottawa, one of my friends spoke to the director recently and they're sorting through applications right now and anticipating that offers of acceptance will be made at the beginning of March (no formal interview, unless POI wants to talk to you).

From the interview invite thread:

Hi,
I just contacted the Clinical Psychology department at SFU, and the graduate assistant told me that all applications have been passed on to the department, and they are meeting this Thursday to decide on their "short list" and then they will begin contacting applicants. The interview date is February 10th.

Has anyone heard anything??
I saw in the other thread SFU invites went out.

The waiting game is brutal.

No word on the Canadian front. Really bummed to hear about SFU. Someone posted on TGC that they had received a rejection letter from York in the mail yesterday...which is weird because I've heard York takes forever to make their decisions and it seems especially early to be sending out rejections via snail mail..

Yeah it is weird that that person posted so early. A prof I know there said that York usually starts contacting shortlisted applicants in the first two weeks of February. Your application status will be updated on My File before you receive a letter.

I was wait-listed at York and didn't hear a peep out of them until the end of April.

Does anyone know how SFU contacts people for interviews? Is it phone, email, or mail?

I feel like I'm going to throw up.

Has anyone heard from Western? On their website it says that applicants should be hearing from them after January 23. The interview day is Feb 10. So anxious to know!

I didn't apply to Western, but my friend did and he got invited to the interview.

Has anyone heard from the Cognition & Brain Sciences program at Univ of Victoria? I heard from the chair in December, but I've not heard anything since. I know they do not have interviews for non-clinical.

I am really hopeful about this program, but I would be an international student, so I am not sure if they have a limit on the number of international students that can be accepted into this program (I remember reading somewhere about other Canadian schools having a limit.. maybe I am wrong?)

Queen's university invites have gone out, the interview/open house is on Feb 10th. Also University of Calgary has started contacting applicant for interviews as well.

I don't think there is a formal limit of international students a school can accept, but I'm not really sure. I had heard that taking international students affects how schools can apply for funding, so it might just be a limit based on the money side of things.

I didn't apply to Western, but my friend did and he got invited to the interview.

Thanks for letting me know! Do you know if this is on a POI basis or was he contacted by a program director?

SFU emails students, and I'm fairly certain all interview invites have gone out. My friend got an email about an interview on Jan. 19

I already posted this on the main interview invite thread, but I heard from my POI at Ryerson today via email to schedule an interview.

^^ they got 250 applicants for 8 positions, so consider yourself very lucky!

Wow that's a lot. Does that mean all of ryersons invites went out?

Probably not. Ryerson leaves a lot of the process up to the POI, with POIs deciding who to interview, how many people to interview and what kind of pre-interview contact they have with potential students.

On another note, York's open house is on February 10th. A friend of mine was contacted by phone for an invite on Tuesday.

no, probably not. like the post just above, it is up to the POI.

I can't believe they are not accredited yet. but i think they are applying this year.

no, probably not. like the post just above, it is up to the POI.

I can't believe they are not accredited yet. but i think they are applying this year.

They had their CPA visit this past fall, and are almost certain to get accreditation soon, especially since the chair of the department is a former president of the CPA.

Got accepted at University of Alberta's PhD school psychology program (essentially their clinical program that rides in tandem with their counselling psych program) officially yesterday!

Super excited because that was the only one I applied to, as my partner is also attending this program and I wanted to stay local. Kind of risky only applying to one, but I pushed some serious effort into my application.

Anyone know when OISE lets applicants know??

i also received my SFU rejection yesterday

still waiting on mcgill ottawa oise rye

Got accepted at University of Alberta's PhD school psychology program (essentially their clinical program that rides in tandem with their counselling psych program) officially yesterday!

Super excited because that was the only one I applied to, as my partner is also attending this program and I wanted to stay local. Kind of risky only applying to one, but I pushed some serious effort into my application.

Congrats on your acceptance! You are seriously lucky to have a 100% acceptance rate :).

Has anyone heard anything fom U. of Victoria or Windsor?

Anyone know when OISE lets applicants know??

i also received my SFU rejection yesterday

still waiting on mcgill ottawa oise rye

I talked to my POI last week and he said that the admission decisions will be made by February 13th ~ decisions will likely be communicated to students around the beginning of March.

Anyone have any info or updates on McGill or UBC (both clinical)?

Just got an interview invite form Concordia via my POI. Not sure when, or how yet (sounds like Skype, since he's on sabbatical right now), but I'm elated nonetheless.

Good luck everybody! I know what you are going through.... I was there last year. From experience, Waterloo and Ottawa rejection letters can come out very late.... If you don't hear from York or Lakehead by April or even May... you are likely on somebody's short list, but they don't bother letting you know that... Don't expect more than 50 to 200 bucks for travel reimbursement to interviews... Some schools do phone interviews to screen applicants before inviting a couple to live interviews. A lot of supervisors will do interviews over skype... expect sudden calls without warning asking if you can do an interview over the phone right there and then..... Not fun! And waiting for interviews is bad... but doing the interview and then waiting to get word on whether you are in or not is worse! And if you don't get in anywhere... It isn't the end of the road. Take a year and improve your application. Do a year of research, get a publication, redo the GRE's if they aren't the greatest, and apply again...Clinical psych is a super competitive discipline... A lot of people don't get in on the first try.

Hear from POI at Windsor yesterday for a phone/skype interview.

Hi everyone,
I'm still waiting to get my rejection from queens( I know they already had interviews) I haven't heard from McGill Oise Ryerson and Ottawa. I know Oise sends out letters late. Do I have hope for the other places- has anyone heard from any of these schools?

I got another e-mail from my POI at Ottawa saying that I've been recommended for admission. It's up to the prof if they want to contact you, hopefully you'll hear some good news soon! :)

Hi everyone! A friend of mine heard from Ryerson last Wednesday and has arranged a phone interview with a POI for next week. I applied to Ryerson, York, Western and UVic, as well as OISE for Counseling Psychology. OISE will be the last to notify applicants, from what I can tell from their website.

Hi all,

Just found out about this forum..It's great!
applied only to the clinical program at Ottawa and haven't heard from them should I be worried (more then usual) ?

Maybe you should send your POI that you applied to work with an e-mail, he/she may be able to give you an update. I don't think official offers are going out until the start of March. Good luck! :)

Heard from my POI via email today that I've been recommended for admission. I should hear in the next week or so if I'm officially accepted, or wait listed (depends on where he is on the priority list for accepting new students). Very excited.