Canadian Residency --> Practicing in US (Boston)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CanadianPharmD

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

Here's the situation: I am finishing up my pharmacy school in the University of Toronto with a Bachelors of Pharmacy (ok fine, my screenname is a bit misleading, but the PharmD is the ultimate goal!). I want to come to the US (Boston area) to practice in a hospital (I am a US resident). I am debating whether I should do a residency in Canada before coming down, and how much will that help my chances of landing a job in the hospital (given that I do not have a PharmD yet). Would a Canadian residency "translate" well to the US, and when I come down, would there still be a problem with me not having a PharmD if I have a Canadian residency? In other words, would the B. Sc. Pharm + Residency in Canada be comparable to coming down here, getting a post-bac PharmD, and then doing a residency here?

Apologies for the long-winded questions...any insights would be greatly appreciated!!!
 
1) The very 1st question is would you be allowed to take MA boards with your degree. Not all US states consider the Canadian professional degree equivalent to the PharmD. So I would start there.

2) Because although the job market is not good your chances are certainly 0 without a valid license in the state.
 
Thanks for the insights. I will be getting a Canadian license first, and when I have that, the process to transfer to a MA license seems okay.