Canadian Student - better chance of an acceptance at a "Private" School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoforever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My apologies if if this question has already been beaten to death in previous threads.. lol...

Is there a better chance of an acceptance at a private school or a public school as an international (Canadian) applicant ? I really don't want to waste the extra $$ on supplementals to public colleges if my chances of getting accepted there are lower at public optometry schools in the states.. Although I'll be applying to waterloo I'd like to consider the US colleges too.

When SUNY came to visit our University, Dr. Johnston said that SUNY being a public school, it does not discriminate between out of state and in-state applicants.. does anyone have any more info on any of this? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

As a Canadian you won't be able to get instate tuition @ SUNY (you have to be an American).

My apologies if if this question has already been beaten to death in previous threads.. lol...

Is there a better chance of an acceptance at a private school or a public school as an international (Canadian) applicant ? I really don't want to waste the extra $$ on supplementals to public colleges if my chances of getting accepted there are lower at public optometry schools in the states.. Although I'll be applying to waterloo I'd like to consider the US colleges too.

When SUNY came to visit our University, Dr. Johnston said that SUNY being a public school, it does not discriminate between out of state and in-state applicants.. does anyone have any more info on any of this? Thanks :)

Well what he meant was SUNY doesn't discriminate against different states, and as far as I know Canada isn't a US state... yet =P.

I think you don't have a good understanding of Optometry schools at all though, whether the schools in the US are private or "public" (state run) the majority of the schools provide education that is at the level or above the standards taught in Waterloo.

The only difference in the schools is tuition cost, as a Canadian you want to go to Waterloo because it'll save you money, it won't necessarily give you a better education though. Going to the states, you know you'll be paying almost double regardless which school you go to.

Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Well what he meant was SUNY doesn't discriminate against different states, and as far as I know Canada isn't a US state... yet =P.

I think you don't have a good understanding of Optometry schools at all though, whether the schools in the US are private or "public" (state run) the majority of the schools provide education that is at the level or above the standards taught in Waterloo.

The only difference in the schools is tuition cost, as a Canadian you want to go to Waterloo because it'll save you money, it won't necessarily give you a better education though. Going to the states, you know you'll be paying almost double regardless which school you go to.

Best of luck

Thanks for the feedback.. but really my question was actually this: Do less international students get accepted into US public opt schools? Or is the intake the same? I've just noticed public schools taking less students from out of state... and international... I understand the tuition difference already.. I'm just asking if more in-state students get accepted into public schools for any reason.. thats all ;)

Best of luck

How do you know that Waterloo's standards are below those of US schools? Where would you get this information?

How do you know that Waterloo's standards are below those of US schools? Where would you get this information?

I didn't mean for my words to seem like I was bashing Waterloo. It's just that most states allow Optometrists to do more things such as TPA's. I'm not qualified to comment about if you learn such in Waterloo, as the ability to prescribe them has only been recently passed in Ontario. If you were learning about them before hand then I am mistaken and my statements before are wrong.

One thing that I would like clarification about if you are a Waterloo student ... what is the patient base like? I'm wondering because most schools in larger cities get more exposure to the rarer eye diseases and conditions due to the larger percentage of low income families.

But... I'm going to assume you're a Waterloo wannabe and ... yea my information comes from talking to US Optom schools about their programs and asking the difference between the state legislatures. I have talked to former Waterloo grads that also work at some of the Optom schools and they have said their didactic studies are great for waterloo but not much about treating disease, as they have had very little ability to do that until recently. So my statements are assumptions based on information I collected while researching schools. Hope that's okay o_O

Last edited:
I didn't mean for my words to seem like I was bashing Waterloo. It's just that most states allow Optometrists to do more things such as TPA's. I'm not qualified to comment about if you learn such in Waterloo, as the ability to prescribe them has only been recently passed in Ontario. If you were learning about them before hand then I am mistaken and my statements before are wrong.

One thing that I would like clarification about if you are a Waterloo student ... what is the patient base like? I'm wondering because most schools in larger cities get more exposure to the rarer eye diseases and conditions due to the larger percentage of low income families.

But... I'm going to assume you're a Waterloo wannabe and ... yea my information comes from talking to US Optom schools about their programs and asking the difference between the state legislatures. I have talked to former Waterloo grads that also work at some of the Optom schools and they have said their didactic studies are great for waterloo but not much about treating disease, as they have had very little ability to do that until recently. So my statements are assumptions based on information I collected while researching schools. Hope that's okay o_O

It's fine I was just curious about your statement is all.
I'm heading to Waterloo (starting 1st year) in a couple months and from what I had heard Waterloo's standards and education are among the best of all the Optometry schools in NA. (I didn't just hear this from Waterloo itself.) I'm fairly sure there are pathology classes after the beginning of first year as far as classes other than didactic learning is concerned. I'm not sure exactly what the clinic environment is like there exactly as we were only given a tour on the date of the interviews.

I've spoken with a couple of successful optometrist in the US and when the topic of some of the top optometry schools has come up they've always mentioned Waterloo so, rest assured.

AND I think the point of the OP has been totally lost, and it was a pretty valid question that I wonder about as well (I'm Canadian - Toronto) - are private optometry schools more friendly towards Canadians in terms of ACCEPTANCES?

I've spoken with a couple of successful optometrist in the US and when the topic of some of the top optometry schools has come up they've always mentioned Waterloo so, rest assured.

AND I think the point of the OP has been totally lost, and it was a pretty valid question that I wonder about as well (I'm Canadian - Toronto) - are private optometry schools more friendly towards Canadians in terms of ACCEPTANCES?

Thank you :)

The answer might be gleaned from the opted.org site. They have kept tabs on the amount of instate and outsiders entering each school for years. As for specificallyhow are Cdn students looked at by private schools its best to call each school and see if they can give you some numbers. Ill post the most relevant links from opted.

But if you're cdn like me, save the cash and get into Waterloo ou Montreal.:)