Canadian Student for Pharmacy in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rano

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone :)
I am a pre-pharmacy student in Surrey, BC. I was wondering how is the system for applying to US Universities. Like which are good ones and do accept students from Canada. I needed some information from where to start :oops:
My cGPA is around 2.9 and my PCAT score is 76. Do I have a chance??? :confused:
Also, if wanna come back and work in Canada, how does that work?
Thanks guys :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Why the US? Pharmacy school is much more expensive here than in Canada.

But there are a lot more seats available in the US than in Canada. I've applied to couple of Canadian Unis as well...but just in case...I wanna apply to US as well :D to make sure that I do get into pharmacy program :D

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of pharmacy schools use PharmCAS for applications. Here is the pharmcas school directory http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/directoryalphastate.htm

If you click on the schools and scroll down to "residency", it will eventually say if the schools accept Canadian students and evaluate foreign university credit. So this can help to narrow down which ones can be an option for you. It also lists the pre-requisites and minimal requirements (gpa, pcat). I do not know when you are going to apply, but some have a 3.0 minimum gpa.

As far as which ones are good, it would depend also on which would fit with you. I would say that state schools have good reputations on here but there are good private schools as well. (I DO NOT want to get into an argument over which schools are the best, private vs. public) If you want to go to school in the US, maybe Buffalo would be a good fit since it is close to Canada (I don't know where you are from but if you are from Toronto it is close so you could still be close to family, friends, etc.). Or maybe you think, hell, I want to go down south where it's warm.

The minimum GPA that they ask...is that for science pre-req courses only? or is it cGPA? and I live in British Columbia in Surrey. I was considering the Buffalo university as well... but I want to make sure that the university is gud and recognized when I come back to Canada. The thing that worries me is that pharmacy doesn't allow easy transfers right, so I wanna make sure that I choose university properly...which one would you suggest?
Like here, only public universities provide pharmacy, but over there in US, there are private univ as well. Are they good? Which is better?

But there are a lot more seats available in the US than in Canada. I've applied to couple of Canadian Unis as well...but just in case...I wanna apply to US as well :D to make sure that I do get into pharmacy program :D

I'm from Canada too (Monteal, Quebec), i completely agree since the only Canadian school i wish i could hear some news from is U of T, and the other schools like UBC and Waterloo, i still did not finish the applications yet as i think they wouldn't have so many seats for out of province student like me. I also applied to most schools in New York because the locations. I got the feeling that the state schools wouldn't have many seats for Canadian students than the private schools.

I'm from Canada too (Monteal, Quebec), i completely agree since the only Canadian school i wish i could hear some news from is U of T, and the other schools like UBC and Waterloo, i still did not finish the applications yet as i think they wouldn't have so many seats for out of province student like me. I also applied to most schools in New York because the locations. I got the feeling that the state schools wouldn't have many seats for Canadian students than the private schools.

I am in the same boat,and I heard even private pharmacy don't accept more than 6 or 7 foreign ( including canada and other country) student per year. I think our best chance is applying in canda,

I'm a Canadian student from McMaster. I started the PharmCAS applications in the summer (i.e. found suitable schools, got my transcripts evaluated, sent in the references, figured out all pre-reqs etc), then I took the PCAT and TOEFL in August. E-Submitted PharmCAS in early October. Spent most of the Oct/Nov finishing up the supplemental applications. Interviewed at the University of Minnesota in November and got accepted right before Christmas.

Take home message: Use your summer wisely & APPLY EARLY :)
(Some people think even October is too late, considering some schools have deadlines as early as Nov 1st and there's early decision school deadlines which are Sept 1st, I think)

Good luck!

Hi Everyone :)
I am a pre-pharmacy student in Surrey, BC. I was wondering how is the system for applying to US Universities. Like which are good ones and do accept students from Canada. I needed some information from where to start :oops:
My cGPA is around 2.9 and my PCAT score is 76. Do I have a chance??? :confused:
Also, if wanna come back and work in Canada, how does that work?
Thanks guys :cool:

Sorry to tell you, with gpa 2.9 I don't think so you have a chance of getting into a pharmacy in canda, especially ubc and Toronto. are you a first year, if you are, try to take more upper devision course to raise your gpa,

I'm a Canadian student from McMaster. I started the PharmCAS applications in the summer (i.e. found suitable schools, got my transcripts evaluated, sent in the references, figured out all pre-reqs etc), then I took the PCAT and TOEFL in August. E-Submitted PharmCAS in early October. Spent most of the Oct/Nov finishing up the supplemental applications. Interviewed at the University of Minnesota in November and got accepted right before Christmas.

Take home message: Use your summer wisely & APPLY EARLY :)
(Some people think even October is too late, considering some schools have deadlines as early as Nov 1st and there's early decision school deadlines which are Sept 1st, I think)

Good luck!

hey as a canadian student, do we need to take a TPEFl? did you apply as a early admission? what were your GPA and PCat score?