MD Canadian Student -- Really need some help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brain_is_a_maze

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
I am new on SDN and I am a Canadian student. I will be going into my third year in the fall, and I am writing my MCAT this summer. My cGPA is currently around 3.68 and sGPA around 3.70. My ECs are as follows:

Research:
-4 months in a neuropsych lab with poster presentation
-Observership/student research assistant for a neurosurgeon ~ 90 hours
-wrote a paper on my observership experience and got it published in a magazine
-Currently a research student in a neuro-oncology lab at one of the top five cancer research centers in the world

Volunteering:
-Teaching children with autism and cerebral palsy how to swim - 8months, will continue in September

Leadership:
-exec or president for a bunch of diff clubs in high school (academic clubs, philanthropy clubs, etc)
-a club in university that supports educational development in Latin America
-Orientation week leader (last year) and head leader (this year)

Work:
-Working as a swim instructor for 4 years now


I know my GPA and ECs need some work, but hoping to improve both this upcoming year. Any suggestions for how I can strengthen my ECs would be greatly appreciated (I know more clinical experience is required). Also, can anyone suggest a list of schools that are within reach for me as a Canadian? I am applying to Wayne state, Boston, and Virginia; will keep looking into more schools throughout the summer. thanks a bunch for the help!!
 
Hey guys,
My cGPA is currently around 3.68 and sGPA around 3.70. My ECs are as follows:

Volunteering:
-Teaching children with autism and cerebral palsy how to swim - 8months, will continue in September

I know my GPA and ECs need some work, but hoping to improve both this upcoming year. Any suggestions for how I can strengthen my ECs would be greatly appreciated (I know more clinical experience is required). Also, can anyone suggest a list of schools that are within reach for me as a Canadian? I am applying to Wayne state, Boston, and Virginia; will keep looking into more schools throughout the summer. thanks a bunch for the help!!

1. What is your province? Your GPA is too low for Ontario schools (unless they significantly increase with the forgiveness/best two years strategy).
2. Where's your clinical experience?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. What is your province? Your GPA is too low for Ontario schools (unless they significantly increase with the forgiveness/best two years strategy).
2. Where's your clinical experience?

I am an Ontario resident. My first year went well; got around 3.85. But I had some personal family matters that really hindered my performance during 2nd year. I am aiming to do well in my 3rd year so I can apply to Western (which looks at 2 best years). In terms of clinical experience, I volunteered at a hospital for a year and a half (forgot to mention it because this was during high school). I am looking into gaining more clinical experience this upcoming school year (either via volunteering or observerships). Are there any other areas of weakness you think I can improve on?