MD Canadian Student -- Really need some help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brain_is_a_maze

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am new on SDN and I am a Canadian student. I will be going into my third year in the fall, and I am writing my MCAT this summer. My cGPA is currently around 3.68 and sGPA around 3.70. My ECs are as follows:

Research:
-4 months in a neuropsych lab with poster presentation
-Observership/student research assistant for a neurosurgeon ~ 90 hours
-wrote a paper on my observership experience and got it published in a magazine
-Currently a research student in a neuro-oncology lab at one of the top five cancer research centers in the world

Volunteering:
-Teaching children with autism and cerebral palsy how to swim - 8months, will continue in September

Leadership:
-exec or president for a bunch of diff clubs in high school (academic clubs, philanthropy clubs, etc)
-a club in university that supports educational development in Latin America
-Orientation week leader (last year) and head leader (this year)

Work:
-Working as a swim instructor for 4 years now

I know my GPA and ECs need some work, but hoping to improve both this upcoming year. Any suggestions for how I can strengthen my ECs would be greatly appreciated (I know more clinical experience is required). Also, can anyone suggest a list of schools that are within reach for me as a Canadian? I am applying to Wayne state, Boston, and Virginia; will keep looking into more schools throughout the summer. thanks a bunch for the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
My cGPA is currently around 3.68 and sGPA around 3.70. My ECs are as follows:

Volunteering:
-Teaching children with autism and cerebral palsy how to swim - 8months, will continue in September

I know my GPA and ECs need some work, but hoping to improve both this upcoming year. Any suggestions for how I can strengthen my ECs would be greatly appreciated (I know more clinical experience is required). Also, can anyone suggest a list of schools that are within reach for me as a Canadian? I am applying to Wayne state, Boston, and Virginia; will keep looking into more schools throughout the summer. thanks a bunch for the help!!

1. What is your province? Your GPA is too low for Ontario schools (unless they significantly increase with the forgiveness/best two years strategy).
2. Where's your clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. What is your province? Your GPA is too low for Ontario schools (unless they significantly increase with the forgiveness/best two years strategy).
2. Where's your clinical experience?

I am an Ontario resident. My first year went well; got around 3.85. But I had some personal family matters that really hindered my performance during 2nd year. I am aiming to do well in my 3rd year so I can apply to Western (which looks at 2 best years). In terms of clinical experience, I volunteered at a hospital for a year and a half (forgot to mention it because this was during high school). I am looking into gaining more clinical experience this upcoming school year (either via volunteering or observerships). Are there any other areas of weakness you think I can improve on?

When you get your MCAT:
Buy MSAR.
Filter to find the 62 schools that accept internationals.
Eliminate the ones that matriculated <3.
Apply to the remaining ones where your stats are above the median.

Will do, thanks!