Canadian student wondering about US medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone! Has the visa situation improve recently? I am considering applying for US Med school as a Canadian citizen but I don't want to waste my money on an expensive med school education and later on face with so many limitations. My whole family is currently applying for a Green card though but god knows how long will it take, I heard it takes at least 13 years to get it if I apply through family connections.
It's gotten about ten times worse. Do your own work, look up health canada's new policies

Members don't see this ad.

It's gotten about ten times worse. Do your own work, look up health canada's new policies
I read this page about Statement of Need 2016: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/hhr-rhs/postgrad-postdoc/index-eng.php#a14 It does look a bit worse, but correct me if I'm wrong - for someone who wants to come back to Canada after US residency in IM - J1 Visa doesn't look so bad - it's easier to get than H1B, it's available for more residency programs, even this 2 year grounding to Canada rule doesn't look that bad if I want to be in Canada in the first place. Am I missing something? Why is everyone running from J1 like it's a Siberian Plague?

I read this page about Statement of Need 2016: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/hhr-rhs/postgrad-postdoc/index-eng.php#a14 It does look a bit worse, but correct me if I'm wrong - for someone who wants to come back to Canada after US residency in IM - J1 Visa doesn't look so bad - it's easier to get than H1B, it's available for more residency programs, even this 2 year grounding to Canada rule doesn't look that bad if I want to be in Canada in the first place. Am I missing something? Why is everyone running from J1 like it's a Siberian Plague?
Because most people who go into IM, want to specialize and not do just General Internal Medicine.

The restriction for IM imposed by Health canada, is that you do your IM in the US and the +1 year to meet 4 year requirement, and then you HAVE to return to canada and get licensed in GIM. Then, and only then, can you return to US to do subspecialization like cardiology, rheum, GI, etc etc.

Most people would prefer to do the 3 year IM, and then go straight into subspecialization without having time in between.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Because most people who go into IM, want to specialize and not do just General Internal Medicine.

The restriction for IM imposed by Health canada, is that you do your IM in the US and the +1 year to meet 4 year requirement, and then you HAVE to return to canada and get licensed in GIM. Then, and only then, can you return to US to do subspecialization like cardiology, rheum, GI, etc etc.

Most people would prefer to do the 3 year IM, and then go straight into subspecialization without having time in between.
Ah, I got it now. So unless one wants to sub-specialize - J1 is not a deal breaker right?

Just out of curiosity, if the IM program is 3 years, and you need 4 years for Canada to recognise your training, what do people do about that 4th extra year? I ask because since you can't do a subspecialty in something to turn it in 4+ years of training, what can someone do to get at least one more year of training?

Just out of curiosity, if the IM program is 3 years, and you need 4 years for Canada to recognise your training, what do people do about that 4th extra year? I ask because since you can't do a subspecialty in something to turn it in 4+ years of training, what can someone do to get at least one more year of training?
Maybe a 4th year as a chief resident, but what I would like to know is if you have to be outstanding resident to become chief resident or it's just a formality basically and anyone who applies gets it? Also I'd imagine not all programs would have that position, this kinda narrows programs to match in the first place no?