Canadian trying to find their way

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mighty_Mouse08

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first time applying to the US and I'm trying to get a realistic idea of what my chances are.
I have applied in Canada twice and never interviewed. I interviewed and was accepted at schools in Ireland and the UK last year but declined.

I graduated from a 4 year H.BSc with a cGPA 3.7 and a sGPA 3.7 (somewhat upward trend, 3.64 - 3.49 - 3.87 - 3.72)

I'm currently enrolled in a research thesis based MSc and have a 4.0 GPA

I have taken the MCAT twice and scored a 30 (V10/B10/P10) in 2013 and 32 (V11/B12/P9) in 2014

I have 1 publication, 3 years of hospital volunteer experience, lots of teaching and tutoring experience and a number of academic and presentation awards.

The schools I am thinking of applying to are:
Northwestern
Mayo
Boston University
Brown
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Georgetown
George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
Central Michigan
Oakland
Any insight into my chances would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

This is my first time applying to the US and I'm trying to get a realistic idea of what my chances are.
I have applied in Canada twice and never interviewed. I interviewed and was accepted at schools in Ireland and the UK last year but declined.

I graduated from a 4 year H.BSc with a cGPA 3.7 and a sGPA 3.7 (somewhat upward trend, 3.64 - 3.49 - 3.87 - 3.72)

I'm currently enrolled in a research thesis based MSc and have a 4.0 GPA

I have taken the MCAT twice and scored a 30 (V10/B10/P10) in 2013 and 32 (V11/B12/P9) in 2014

I have 1 publication, 3 years of hospital volunteer experience, lots of teaching and tutoring experience and a number of academic and presentation awards.

The schools I am thinking of applying to are:
Northwestern
Mayo
Boston University
Brown
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Georgetown
George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
Central Michigan
Oakland
Any insight into my chances would be greatly appreciated!

I think you need more match/safeties. Your GPA and mcat scores are ok, but not fantastic enough for majority of schools in your list. Your ECs description looks like you hit the major check marks (minus shadowing), but nothing spectacular there to boost you.

To quote@gyngyn:
Delete the schools that accepted 3 or fewer internationals.
Delete the schools where the median MCAT is [above your scores].
Delete schools where internationals are likely to be part of a special program (Brown).
Come back and we'll be glad to edit.