Canadians in US osteopathic schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ungella

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I would love to hear from any Canadians who have been accepted into any of the osteopathic medical schools. I was wondering what the chances are of international students being admitted. Also the big question for any Canadian is how are you managing to fund your education in the U.S.? I am from Alberta and there is not one osteopath in the city where I live so I do not have any exposure to osteopaths. Despite this I am intrigued by the osteopathic philosophies and I believe it is a path I would like to follow. I know that many schools want letters of reference from a D.O. but is there a way around this? I just feel like there are considerable road blocks for me so I want to find out all that I can. If anyone could pass on any information for me and words of advice I would be most grateful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend you to get in touch with the AOA most likely they will be able to provide with the most accurate information for your situation. you could just email or call them.

------------------
siul

http://www.aacom.org/

I would try emailing the schools and asking them. If you sound as sincere as you do in your post, I think most schools would get back with you. Over the past two years, I had pretty good success with the email route. Most of the D.O. school's admission offices are very accommodating. Give it a try...

Good Luck...ay
smile.gif
Dale

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm a Canadian (from Alberta) in a US osteopathic school. What city are you from? What would you like to know? I got a DO letter of recommendation from a doctor I shadowed in the US (spent my own money to travel there). However, there is a DO in Calgary. Anyway, let me know what else you need.

Hi 2003,
Thanks for your reply. I am from Edmonton and yes I am aware of the osteoapth in Calgary. I have contacted him and I hope to meet up with him in the near future. As for you and going to see an osteopath in the States, that too is a great idea. I shall keep that in mind. Was the doctor you went to see quite receptive and willing to help you?
Anyway, I guess I had a few questions about admissions for international students. Did you get a lot of replies after submitting your application? I only applied to the schools who do accept international students however I don't know if your chances are lower than if you are a U.S. resident. Also, how are you managing to pay for your education? I would be completely reliant on financial aid and I am aware of CanHelp but are there other options available besides bank loans? As far as I know you can't receive a substantial amount of money from federal loans. As much as I would love to do this, the financial considerations are a huge concern. It would be nice to be reassured that it is possible!
I think it's great that you are attending one of the osteopathic schools and I hope it is going well for you. By the way which univeristy are you at? If you want to tell me about it please feel free. I would love to get as much information as I can.
In the meantime I hope to hear back from you and any advice you can offer would be most appreciated.

Originally posted by 2003:
Hi, I'm a Canadian (from Alberta) in a US osteopathic school. What city are you from? What would you like to know? I got a DO letter of recommendation from a doctor I shadowed in the US (spent my own money to travel there). However, there is a DO in Calgary. Anyway, let me know what else you need.

Do Canadians have, in general, a harder time getting into Osteopathic schools?

I'm a Canadian and will be attending an osteopathic medical school next year. I believe most schools are receptive to Canadians, but there are some that have a preference for US residents of certain states and some that are restricted to US citizens only. As for your question about letters of reference, I got a letter from a MD. DO schools in the states are well aware of the limited number of DOs in Canada, so I don't think they mind MD letters. However, it might be more impressive to get a DO letter, just to reflect a stronger interest.

I am surprised there's a DO in Calgary! Is he allowed to practice fully as a physican or is he only restricted to OMM (there are some Canadian provinces that have this restriction)?

I'm not quite sure about your financial aid question, as I haven't quite fully explored that yet, but yes, we are very limited in what is available. I am in the midst of exams right now, but hopefully this helps you out a little bit :) I will be sure to post more later!

I'm an Australian interested in studying osteopathic medicine in the American model. I would love to hear from anybody - Canadians, Britons, Kiwis, etc. - who has investigated this possibility from outside the US.

I specifically would like to know how you on earth you propose to/did finance your DO studies?

Oh, and what made you decide to study osteopathic medicine in the US... considering it's probably going to be a lot cheaper to study medicine in your home country (or osteopathy/chiropractic for that matter)?

Really, I just want to know the path of least resistance...

I'll repeat this post in the international forum.

thanks
Corey

There's at least one Canadian in my class (UHS class of 2006). I seem to remember she almost had a financial emergency at the begining of our first year, but since she's still here, her situation must have worked out. If you want to contact her to ask her questions, her SDN user name is "Solie", or something similar. Check under the UHS class of 2006 thread, I'm sure she's in there somewhere...

I am canadian...with a green card though...
i go to nova.
let me know if you have any questions.