Canadians who're using OSAP to finance their education in Oz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cziffra

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

While not canadian, i can help a tiny bit:

1) a few canadian banks do give substantial loans, see: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=201104
(PM markdc for more info, he's at UQ)

2) a number of students at UQ are fully subsidized by their parents. I don't think a school would reject you for saying this will be the case, it's prob more that they want to make sure you've thought about it, so they can weed out real flakes who say, "i'll figure it out later" or "i'll just get PR once i'm there".

-pitman

I had no problems getting an OSAP loan. They gave me about $6600, which isn't much really, but hey, anything helps.

As for aussie schools rejecting you because you're using loan money to pay for your education.. I don't think that's too much of an issue. If it was true, they'd pretty much have to reject every international student studying med in Australia. I think we're all pretty much on some form of loan or another, whether it be from government or banks. :(

I've heard that Royal Bank is pretty good for med student loans, however, I don't really have any experience with them as I decided to go with Bank of Montreal. BMO will give you $30,000 /year for five years to study medicine abroad, with interest rate at prime. All you gotta have is a Confirmation of Enrolment and a cosigner, really.

Hope that helps...

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your help!

I'm currently a Canadian at Usyd and when I sent in my acceptance letters I didn't have to prove that I was able to pay for the degree. All that they ask is for a deposit and then send you a confirmation of enrollment which seems to satisfy the government to issue a visa. Good luck.