Cancel MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor or bust

asdf
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, so due to situations which arose this summer leading to me needing to take weeks off at a time from studying, I'm not quite where I'd like to be yet with my scores and think I might be better off cancelling my MCAT test date in order to take it later on. So far, my FL scores on TPR and Kaplan are all within 479 and 499 and my AAMC FL 1 was a 502. I'd like to be pushing at least a 510 and am currently scheduled to take the exam on August 24th. I can continue studying and plan to regardless but I feel as though I'm not taking the time necessary to review exams and practice passages fully enough to review them and get as much as I can out of them. Here are my options that I can think of.

Buckle down and take the MCAT august 24th.
pros:
Be done with studying for the MCAT
likely get in the 505 or so range (I'm applying DO and MD)
not have to worry about it ever again
not have to pay for the test again (I can't get a refund at this point)

cons:
possibly get less than 505 or even worse
have to retake and deal with the consequences of having two scores

Cancel the MCAT and take it in January.
pros:
more time to study and take FLs
more time to enjoy summer
more time to make money to pay for rent, utilities, and food
have time to study during the semester with a fairly light course load and ask professors questions that I have about certain topics

cons:
have to study during the semester
I'd have to pay for the exam again; I have a tight budget
not being done with the MCAT

These seem to be my options, what are your opinions? I'm thinking of just taking my exam and voiding the score since I can't get my money back at this point but I'm not sure. As I said, I'd like at least a 510+ to be certain but I'm also nervous about having to study for the MCAT during the semester as that seems like a pretty hard thing to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Its hard to say in hours, especially since I have some jobs I need to do in order to pay the bills which are done by the project as opposed to hourly. Best case scenario I can get 4 solid days a week in for the next four weeks

Take it once, when you are prepared, even if that means paying for it twice.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are averaging less than 500 and you are shooting for a 510, then you should without a doubt cancel.
I know studying for the MCAT is soul crushing, but it's better to only do it once and do it right. When people consistently get low scores and hope for a miracle on test day, it almost never happens.
I would delay for several weeks or more, make sure you do at least 10 practice exams, and that you are consistently hitting your target score. Aiming for a higher score is better so you have more of a cushion on test day.
All this means applying next year, it's ok. You want to present your best application possible and keep as many doors open in terms of schools.
Good luck!

Thanks everyone, I do think that it would be best to take it later as well and I'll still take the one I'm scheduled for and void it. The plan now is to buy a 10 pack of FLs from altius, the other EK 101 passage books, and to go through those on the weekends of this coming semester, continue going through my Anki deck, and take the exam on January 18th or whenever it is first available. Does this seem suitable? I was very apprehensive coming to the conclusion of postponing due to the idea of having things not as fresh as they are now since I've been focusing on the MCAT for awhile now.

Thanks everyone, I do think that it would be best to take it later as well and I'll still take the one I'm scheduled for and void it. The plan now is to buy a 10 pack of FLs from altius, the other EK 101 passage books, and to go through those on the weekends of this coming semester, continue going through my Anki deck, and take the exam on January 18th or whenever it is first available. Does this seem suitable? I was very apprehensive coming to the conclusion of postponing due to the idea of having things not as fresh as they are now since I've been focusing on the MCAT for awhile now.

Sounds like a good plan. I would also recommend the NS exams. And of course, save the 3 AAMC FLs for last.