Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Canceling interviews: proper etiquette

Discussion in 'Dermatology' started by scumbagderm, Dec 18, 2008.

1. scumbagderm

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    With 20 invites (happy but overwhelmed) I can't feasibily make it without killing myself in the process. Some less desirable programs/locations have got to go (and I want other qualified applicants to get a chance at them).

How have you guys gone about this? Is email too impersonal? Is calling required? Or the least personal of all: de-selecting them on ERAS.

I don't want to be rude or piss anybody off. I know adequate time is required so that new applicants can be called in. How short is too short notice? 2 weeks okay?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kralwok

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think email or calling are ok, but if you email you should make sure they respond to you so that you know they got the message. Deselecting in ERAS is not cool in my opinion since you don't know how long it will take them to realize it.

The most important thing is consideration of other applicants. There are many others dying to take your interview spots, so let your less desirable ones go as soon as you know you won't make it. The farther in advance the better so that applicants from across the country can be considered. I would hesitate to give a time period but two weeks is probably ok.

4. dermie09

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think this is fairly obvious - cancel via email or phone ASAP. Gives them more time to find someone to take your spot and for that subsequent lucky applicant to schedule it. I've canceled prelim interviews via email and it has not been a problem.

5. What the pho

What the pho Good to the last drop
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your a derm applicant with 20 interviews. You're smart enough to get them you expect us to believe you're not smart enough to cancel them. Stop with your bragging already. Hope you're smart enough to not come off like this at the interviews or your going to need all of them to match

6. opencomedo

opencomedo Blissfully Ignorant
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Step 1: Call program coordinator on phone ASAP

Step 2: Tell them you are grateful for the interview opportunity but that you are unable to make it due to scheduling constraints

Step 3: Suggest that you know another applicant "opencomedo" who is awesome and should take your place

Step 4: Profit (?)

7. dgruntledmizzou

2+ Year Member

replace opencomedo with my name

I'll throw my village's prize goat into the pot

8. anonymousderm

5+ Year Member

I'm pretty sure that I've met this "scumbag" on the interview trail, and he has a palpable air of superiority that rubs everybody the wrong way. He tries to hide it with humor but it does come out eventually.

9. dgruntledmizzou

2+ Year Member

hey, you have to appreciate his/her honesty :)

10. Ignite hardcore

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Whoa, that is over the top. He/she is just looking to get a little conversation going, I don't think the thread was meant to be a way to brag. All of the other posts I've seen from scumbag are respectful and considerate.

11. N-Surge

N-Surge Emeritus
    Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ditto. :thumbup:

12. opencomedo

opencomedo Blissfully Ignorant
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    man, I hope I don't have a "palpable air of superiority that rubs everybody the wrong way." I shoot for an air of hilarious to hide the fact that I am about to throw up throughout the whole day (or interview season for that matter) :scared:....

mizzou, my town has no goats, I suppose you win (I always knew my lack of goats would come back to haunt me)

13. scumbagderm

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

wow

14. dgruntledmizzou

2+ Year Member

gotta use every last trick in the book :laugh: