MD & DO Canceling residency interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emv49

Reaction score
As the 2021-2022 interview season is in full swing my schedule is getting pretty full. I've been scheduled to interview at 26 institutions for EM, and I know that is far too many and I need to cancel some of them, but I still want to keep a good number to insure match. Anyone else in the same boat and have any advice? I am unsure how to even select which ones to cancel. Also, is there any website that gives a good idea of the reputation of a program? Outside of knowing the top 15 EM programs in the country, I am unfamiliar with the reputation of most of the others. If you have any info about any of the EM programs in the southeast please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

As the 2021-2022 interview season is in full swing my schedule is getting pretty full. I've been scheduled to interview at 26 institutions for EM, and I know that is far too many and I need to cancel some of them, but I still want to keep a good number to insure match. Anyone else in the same boat and have any advice? I am unsure how to even select which ones to cancel. Also, is there any website that gives a good idea of the reputation of a program? Outside of knowing the top 15 EM programs in the country, I am unfamiliar with the reputation of most of the others. If you have any info about any of the EM programs in the southeast please let me know.

Fit/desire to attend should trump "reputation". Where do you want to live? What kind of program are you looking for? What kind of practice environment?

Whoever your advisor is should also be able to help you define/answer these questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Fit/desire to attend should trump "reputation". Where do you want to live? What kind of program are you looking for? What kind of practice environment?
I only applied to programs that were somewhere I'd want to live and that I would actually rank if I interviewed with them. The issue now is that too many of those responded. I want a program that is well rounded enough to prepare me for practice anywhere. I want to end up working rural communities, but I want somewhere that gives me good exposure to everything. Overall, I need to decide how many to cancel so I have a more manageable schedule and I don't become one of the interview hogs that messed up the match last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can figure this out from charting outcomes. There’s a level for each specialty where the chance of matching no longer increases despite adding additional contiguous ranks, usually around 9-10. I would say there is no utility in going on anything more than 15 interviews tops unless you really aren’t sure how you would rank the programs (Ie you’re doing it to meet more programs to evaluate their fit for you, not to ensure that you match.

Reactions: 1 user
Avoid newer programs, avoid HCA programs. Look at location. If you think you want to do fellowship see what the program has available. Also look at factors like 3/4 years, urban/community and see what matches your ultimate interests.

Reactions: 2 users