How do literature reviews look on MD/PhD applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

O.F. Hanson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Breif introduction:
An undergraduate entering second-year; major is chemistry concentrated in biochemistry; GPA: 3.99; sGPA: 4.0; no MCAT yet; biomedical research intern for Aspirnaut at VUMC in Nephrology & Hypertension department (summer 2022); attends Berea College.

I am genuinely interested in synthesizing a literature review to contribute to an area of biomedical science, and to gain further insight into the desired field of interest. I understand that synthesis research is much, much different than scientific research, but I believe I have sufficient insight into constructing strategic searches in databases, conforming to journal/review standards, documentation, citation management, usage of available resources, reporting, etc.; I learned a ton with a certificate program at Michigan (certificate). I do not plan on tackling the project alone, but with a faculty mentor and a few peers (colleagues, to be formal in this context). Before beginning, I intend on contacting all participants and establishing a “somewhat” firm agend.

With all of that being described, now my question.

How would organizing, conducting, and (if) successfully publishing a synthesis review (particular a systematic review) look on an MD/PhD applicant? I know it is not the “scientific” research intended for the PhD aspect of these programs, but I was curious if it would look appropriate, fitting, and/or outstandin?

I may ultimately attempt it for personal experience because I am so genuinely interested, but I would love to hear what everyone else thinks.

With Gratitude,

ofh

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody will look down on you for doing this. If you have the time, it will look good on your CV. However, if it means you will get many less research hours, that may result in an unbalanced application.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't hurt, and if it is directly related to your field of research, may help you be able to discuss your research better during interviews.

Reactions: 1 user