Cancellations/Decancellations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILikePath

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it okay to tell a program that you made a mistake cancelling an interview and therefore want that interview back? I cancelled on a program because I heard bad things about it, but some people I've talked to during my interviews said some good things about it. I know it might look bad, but I thought it's worth a try to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I wouldnt if I were you. Maybe its just me, but I would feel like a schmuck on interview day at a program that I initially turned down and then begged to come and interview afterall. Just write that one off, there are plenty of good programs out there. And if you were really interested in that program, you would have interviewed there regardless of what the 'talk' was before having turned it down. I turned down a program early, and though I currently only have 6 interviews (I would like 10), I'm not gonna call that program and say "I think I made a mistake, can I pleeeeaaasssseeee come interview, pretty please!" :laugh:

E-Mo

Is it okay to tell a program that you made a mistake cancelling an interview and therefore want that interview back? I cancelled on a program because I heard bad things about it, but some people I've talked to during my interviews said some good things about it. I know it might look bad, but I thought it's worth a try to ask.

I cancelled an interview at a place and their response was:

We are sorry that you have decided to withdraw your application to our
program. If you change your mind please contact me.

So, I guess anything is possible. But, just like ermonty said...you'll feel like an ass during your interview day. Worse yet is answering the question,"Why do you want to come here to train...after you initially cancelled your interview?"

You better not come off as flaky as you sound here.

Likely the only person who knows you cancelled is the program secretary, and if you reschedule your application isn't going to be red flagged with "This person originally cancelled but now wants to interview" stamped on it. Just say, "My schedule has changed and now I am interested in interviewing," or "I made a mistake in cancelling." What's the worst thing that can happen?