cancelling my application - really bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentdude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I really want to take a year off before starting dental school. Unfortunately, I already applied this year (kinda dumb of me). I did really well on my DATs and I have a very high GPA. I already got accepted to a few schools, and i have a place to go. I'm still waiting on a few others, though. However, since a deferral looks like it's not an easy thing to get, I've really been considering just pulling my application for this year and re-submitting it early for next year.
Will this really screw me over? I know it's a risk, but how big of a risk is it? I really do feel that it would be worth giving up the spot I have now for the year off, but will this also mess me up with other dental schools that I didn't apply to/get accepted to this year? Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You can basically write off getting into the schools you got into this cycle. What are you going to say during the interview? That you felt like straight chillin for a year instead of going to dental school?

I think it's stupid, but if you wanna roll the dice, it's your life.

You can basically write off getting into the schools you got into this cycle. What are you going to say during the interview? That you felt like straight chillin for a year instead of going to dental school?

I think it's stupid, but if you wanna roll the dice, it's your life.

yeah i figured that i wouldn't be able to get back into the schools i'm in now. and I wouldn't be wasting the year either, but that's besides the point. what i wanna know about is other dental shcools that i did NOT get into this year

Members don't see this ad :)
I kind of agree. It makes it seem like you were wasting everyone's time with applying and interviewing. You should have thought about this before you applied.

So I really want to take a year off before starting dental school. Unfortunately, I already applied this year (kinda dumb of me). I did really well on my DATs and I have a very high GPA. I already got accepted to a few schools, and i have a place to go. I'm still waiting on a few others, though. However, since a deferral looks like it's not an easy thing to get, I've really been considering just pulling my application for this year and re-submitting it early for next year.
Will this really screw me over? I know it's a risk, but how big of a risk is it? I really do feel that it would be worth giving up the spot I have now for the year off, but will this also mess me up with other dental schools that I didn't apply to/get accepted to this year? Any advice would be appreciated!
if you got accepted to a few schools, it sounds like your stats are pretty stellar.

people turning a lone acceptance away for a year off may be foolish, but it sounds like you worked hard enough to be able to apply next year and at least get accepted somewhere.

besides the financial waste of applications, i think you'll be fine.

Every school that accepted you this year will not accept you again next year... because your wasting their time....

The schools that rejected you this year, okay fine you might have a shot with them next year.

The schools that you pulled your application from them this year before they gave you a decision is going to look very iffy... cause next year around theyr might wonder "why the hell did he pull his application without hearing a decision and here he is applying again? wtf is he doing?"

Bottom line, (it seems to me at least) that you'd rather have fun for 1 year and possibly jeopardize your whole future

Every school that accepted you this year will not accept you again next year... because your wasting their time....

The schools that rejected you this year, okay fine you might have a shot with them next year.

The schools that you pulled your application from them this year before they gave you a decision is going to look very iffy... cause next year around theyr might wonder "why the hell did he pull his application without hearing a decision and here he is applying again? wtf is he doing?"

Bottom line, (it seems to me at least) that you'd rather have fun for 1 year and possibly jeopardize your whole future
yeah i definitely agree about schools that haven't yet given me a desicion, and I'd probably wait till later to pull the application anyway. But I definitely wouldn't be "just having fun" for a year, and I'll have something to tell dental schools when they ask what I was doing for the year.

yeah i definitely agree about schools that haven't yet given me a desicion, and I'd probably wait till later to pull the application anyway. But I definitely wouldn't be "just having fun" for a year, and I'll have something to tell dental schools when they ask what I was doing for the year.
what would you think about doing? A dental school would probably only be intrigued if it was something dental/healthcare related or a masters. You most likely aren't doing a masters program since you have impressive stats.

Taking a year off to shadow/work in a dental office, just to apply again would just be delaying the inevitable, plus you would miss out on 1 year of forgone dental salary. It sounds like you need some self exploration time, since you're hesitant to sign up for dentistry right now. The fact that you're considering canceling your app means you need that time.

Who knows? You might find something else you really like in that year off.

are you psychotic?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!

what would you think about doing? A dental school would probably only be intrigued if it was something dental/healthcare related or a masters. You most likely aren't doing a masters program since you have impressive stats.

Taking a year off to shadow/work in a dental office, just to apply again would just be delaying the inevitable, plus you would miss out on 1 year of forgone dental salary. It sounds like you need some self exploration time, since you're hesitant to sign up for dentistry right now. The fact that you're considering canceling your app means you need that time.

Who knows? You might find something else you really like in that year off.

I really don't need time to think in terms of what I want to do. I know i want to go to dental school. There are personal reasons that I feel that i needa take the year off. And yeah, i would be doing dental related clinical work/research over the year.

!!

:laugh:

This pretty much sums up this thread. Dude, if you do that then you're really screwing yourself over. Wow...people would KILL to be in your position and now you just wanna take it for granted.

I really don't need time to think in terms of what I want to do. I know i want to go to dental school. There are personal reasons that I feel that i needa take the year off. And yeah, i would be doing dental related clinical work/research over the year.
I hope your personal reasons are not too serious. However, unless there are ~7-10 dental schools you did not apply to that you could see yourself seriously attending, you may have no choice but to attend one of the schools that accepted you this fall if you want to be a dentist.

sorry about the bind you're in

!!
+1 :laugh:

Unless you're saving babies in Ghana or accepting a Rhodes scholarship or something....(this is a joke!)...why in the world??

Members don't see this ad :)

You do realize... when you apply next year... at one point or another you will have to flat out lie about something... Either that you've never applied before... or that you've never been accepted before.

if you let a school know u've applied and been accepted and (for no strong reason) decided to reject the offer... they'll might not take you seriously and just think you'll jerk them around this cycle too.

One last thing to think about: There are people right THIS SECOND who will give their left nut for what you have.

One last thing to think about: There are people right THIS SECOND who will give their left nut for what you have.

Muahahahaha couldn’t have said it any better my self... But as cynical as that sounds it is the bottom line truth. I understand your personal life is private and none of us here really know what you going threw but we are only left to assume. So let me just give you this advice, Obviously your a hard worker you have already got accepted but you have to ask your self this is what ever your thinking about doing for the year really worth your entire future? I know it gets rough and people need a breather to rejuvenate, and if thats your case i really highly recommend reconsidering your choice because as fortunate as you think you are this is a privilege that really should be cherished. But i guess what im saying (if my assumption does apply to you), just stick it out in the end you can live your life how ever you please, just get your priorities out of the way... ok enough rambling, what ever you decide just make sure it is all worth it, and know what your outcomes are likely to be.

If you have extenuating circumstances, which you seem to imply, then why not call all the schools you have been accepted to, explain to them your situation, and see which ones would give you a deferral? I knew a girl who got a deferral from medical school for a year because she was pregnant before school started. Some schools may show more leniency depending on the circumstance.

If your situation is not as serious and no schools are willing to defer you, then I would suck it up and go to dental school. You're taking a huge risk otherwise.

Wow, I totally wish to be in your position right now. I'd sooo take the acceptance and not even think twice about it. But if you do decide to take a year off, I hope it does not affect your chances greatly the next time you apply. Good luck and I hope you make a wise decision. :)

lol

for ppl like me who have been applying n getting waitlisted...ur not being very smart to give it up...i would do anything to get in at this point..u have no idea how lucky you are to get it.

Very big risk. They put an egg in your basket and you'll expect them to do so again?

You should do it so I can say

1 down. 11,999 more to go.

Firstly, DAT is singular.

Secondly, you would be insane to take a year off because you "want" to. There are over 12,000 people applying each year, and roughly a third of them get accepted. Additionally, if you decide not to attend, you will have wasted $3k+ in application/interview expenses, plus another $500-$1000 for a deposit.

Here's the kicker: you DO NOT have any type of assurance that you will get accepted next year, regardless of what your stats are. Like others have said, you are essentially wasting the time and effort of all of these admissions committees and their respective schools. Why on earth would they want to accept you next year if you bail on them now?

You do realize... when you apply next year... at one point or another you will have to flat out lie about something... Either that you've never applied before... or that you've never been accepted before.

if you let a school know u've applied and been accepted and (for no strong reason) decided to reject the offer... they'll might not take you seriously and just think you'll jerk them around this cycle too.

the OP would certainly not have to lie about anything. i don't see why an admissions office would think particularly negatively about someone who applied and got accepted only to realize that they need a year off for whatever personal reason. to me, that shows great maturity and if anything should be an asset in an applicant.

to the OP, if you do decide to take a year off (which i fully support if that is what will make you happiest in the long run), i would suggest calling the schools that offered you an acceptance and thanking them sincerely, and be honest with them about why you will be declining their acceptance. you could also ask them about your chances for next year, which (I think) would show them that you are a serious candidate and that you have given this a lot of thought.

in the long run, if you truly believe that taking this year off will further your personal or professional development, i say go for it. to me, being happy this next year is a lot more important than rushing into school without being completely ready.

the OP would certainly not have to lie about anything. i don't see why an admissions office would think particularly negatively about someone who applied and got accepted only to realize that they need a year off for whatever personal reason. to me, that shows great maturity and if anything should be an asset in an applicant.

to the OP, if you do decide to take a year off (which i fully support if that is what will make you happiest in the long run), i would suggest calling the schools that offered you an acceptance and thanking them sincerely, and be honest with them about why you will be declining their acceptance. you could also ask them about your chances for next year, which (I think) would show them that you are a serious candidate and that you have given this a lot of thought.

in the long run, if you truly believe that taking this year off will further your personal or professional development, i say go for it. to me, being happy this next year is a lot more important than rushing into school without being completely ready.

WHAT?haha, shows maturity to you, only. Not to the adcoms. A mature person would have known what he wanted in life before he applied to dental school. I am not argueing that taking a year off is a bad idea, but its a bad idea if you have already applied, received offers, and then are thinking about taking a year off.

Think about this carefully, say you are on the admissions at a dental school, and you offer a seat to a perspective student, and he calls you to tell you he is considering taking a year off, but thanks anyways ( unless the reason is amazing, which if it was in first place, then he would have prob been granted a deferral). GUESS WHAT, HE will most likely never get an acceptance from those schools again. Schools accept those who they both think would be a good fit to their institution, as well as those who they think will accept their offer ( thats why they ask " if you get accepted everywhere, where would you go?, and why do you want to come to this Dschool?).

Bottom line: dental schools will not gamble with the uncertainty that someone has over their future.

Also, do dental schools know your previous status from a previous cycle if you reapplied ( do they have access to your previous AADSAS application)? thats a very crucial answer, if they do, then you might not get in anywhere else( that has not given you an offer yet this year).

Makes no sense to me. Don't do it man. Graduate from d-school then do whatever and be compensated accordingly.

you are kidding right? There is no way you are serious...

So let me get this straight, 12-13,000 people are wasting thousands upon thousands of dollars trying to squeeze into 4500 seats, and finally one of them gets the chance and decides "ya know what.... nah... I'll just try again next year"

If you call this maturity... then I wonder what f-ing around is.

People (adcoms) are spending their time and effort looking over your application when they could have done the same for someone who was interested in attending.

Now, I will say, if the OP has a LEGITIMATE reason (examples ~ recent sickness, injury, family member in serious health crisis, etc etc), then Yes, its best to defer the acceptance so get your mind/health cleared up....

You should do it so I can say

1 down. 11,999 more to go.

:laugh:.... Very true!!!.... :thumbup:

In all serious though, unless a family member is ill and/or is need of monetery support, or your planning on getting marrried, I wouldn't do it.... As to what I could possibly think that the d-schools could possibly let you slide on, if it is none of the following then I say your messing up the oppertunity given to you... I'm applying first time this cycle, but if I got any acceptances like you did, I would jump on them in a heartbeat.... I have no doubt that you haven't thought it over already, just be sure this is what you REALLY wanna do! :thumbup:

Look at it this way:

Your odds of being accepted in this cycle are 100%... because you've already been accepted!
Your current odds for NEXT cycle are less than 100%, because no one has been accepted yet.

Take the acceptance and don't look back.

If you're as competitive an applicant as you seem to think you are, then you got into your top choices this year, and will be closing the door on them for next year. Will you be ok attending one of your second tier schools?

If you didn't get into your top choices, then how can you be sure you will be accepted anywhere next year, especially after you give the schools reason to question your commitment, if not your judgement? And you better be SURE if you're going to pull that kind of stunt.

you are kidding right? There is no way you are serious...

So let me get this straight, 12-13,000 people are wasting thousands upon thousands of dollars trying to squeeze into 4500 seats, and finally one of them gets the chance and decides "ya know what.... nah... I'll just try again next year"

If you call this maturity... then I wonder what f-ing around is.

People (adcoms) are spending their time and effort looking over your application when they could have done the same for someone who was interested in attending.

Now, I will say, if the OP has a LEGITIMATE reason (examples ~ recent sickness, injury, family member in serious health crisis, etc etc), then Yes, its best to defer the acceptance so get your mind/health cleared up....

In my opinion, ANY reason that is giving someone enough pause to consult a group of strangers for advice is reason enough to seriously consider taking that time off. Think of it this way: if you were engaged to someone and then before the wedding they began to have serious second thoughts, would you rather them go through with it anyway, given there's a chance that they could be miserable, or would you rather them take some time to figure out if that's what they really want?

If I were on an admissions committee (and I do have experience making selections for various student groups which are quite competitive), I would prefer that a student who were having second thoughts come and relay those to me openly and honestly. From there, if I thought that a deferral was a possibility, I would certainly give it; but if I thought that the student would in fact be better off taking a year for his or her development, I would encourage him or her to apply again, even if it is only so that the chance of having a student drop out is minimized (that never looks good on a school fact sheet).

Personally, I decided to take a gap year as well, though I did make that decision before I applied. But if I hadn't missed a deadline for the pre-medical committee at my college, I might have gone ahead and applied without thinking whether or not I was actually ready. Once I did miss that deadline, I realized that I was burning out from school and that I would be much better off taking a year to do something else.

OP, if you truly believe that taking this year off will be beneficial to you, I would say go for it. Perhaps try to see if you can get a deferral first (you can't get one if you don't ask, right?) but if that doesn't work out, then reevaluate and see what will be better for you in the long run.

In my opinion, ANY reason that is giving someone enough pause to consult a group of strangers for advice is reason enough to seriously consider taking that time off. Think of it this way: if you were engaged to someone and then before the wedding they began to have serious second thoughts, would you rather them go through with it anyway, given there's a chance that they could be miserable, or would you rather them take some time to figure out if that's what they really want?

If I were on an admissions committee (and I do have experience making selections for various student groups which are quite competitive), I would prefer that a student who were having second thoughts come and relay those to me openly and honestly. From there, if I thought that a deferral was a possibility, I would certainly give it; but if I thought that the student would in fact be better off taking a year for his or her development, I would encourage him or her to apply again, even if it is only so that the chance of having a student drop out is minimized (that never looks good on a school fact sheet).

Personally, I decided to take a gap year as well, though I did make that decision before I applied. But if I hadn't missed a deadline for the pre-medical committee at my college, I might have gone ahead and applied without thinking whether or not I was actually ready. Once I did miss that deadline, I realized that I was burning out from school and that I would be much better off taking a year to do something else.

OP, if you truly believe that taking this year off will be beneficial to you, I would say go for it. Perhaps try to see if you can get a deferral first (you can't get one if you don't ask, right?) but if that doesn't work out, then reevaluate and see what will be better for you in the long run.

Question for you:
Since you seem to glowing with thoughtful advice, do you think the OP should apply again to the same schools that accepted him this year?

if you're as competitive an applicant as you seem to think you are, then you got into your top choices this year, and will be closing the door on them for next year. Will you be ok attending one of your second tier schools?

If you didn't get into your top choices, then how can you be sure you will be accepted anywhere next year, especially after you give the schools reason to question your commitment, if not your judgement? And you better be sure if you're going to pull that kind of stunt.

+1!

This is a bad analogy. For the most part, dental schools have nothing invested in a mere applicant, and little reason to "wait" for them. There is no relationship there.

Even if there was, your situation bears little resemblance to the OP's. He's jilting someone at the altar, while you hadn't even sent in your application to match.com yet.

To me, the OP seems like a real attractive candidate. I realize schools may wonder why you turned down their admission but are reapplying again the next cycle so communication is key to let them know why and that you need more time before you are ready for dental school. Some schools may not understand, some will. But if you really are as attractive a candidate as you seem, then some dental school will take you because they can't pass up someone that qualified. If you're really not ready, take the year off but let the dental schools know why before you do. Good luck.

people get so offended when someone says they want to defer or give up an acceptance. honestly i think some people are a little bit TOO obsessed with dentistry, or they're just blowing it way out of proportion.

EVERYBODY that applies to dental school knows what a big deal an acceptance(s) is/are. since you are part of this group of people, you must have a good reason for wanting to possible take a year off and reject your acceptances. what people are saying is true... schools might not take you as seriously in the next cycle and schools that accepted you might be offended, but if you have a good reason for this year off, i think by explaining this to the school (maybe incorporating it into your personal statement), you can still get in.

do you know which school you like best out of the ones you were accepted to? maybe you can call the other ones up and tell them you'd like to defer because blah blah blah and if that's ok. and then also ask if that's not allowed, then what will happen to your chances next year. if they seem to understand the situation, then maybe you'll be fine getting in next year.

people need to calm down and not freak out as much about this. maybe something came up and she has some personal business to take care of. however... if you are just wanting to relax/have fun, then i do think you should take the acceptance if you want to do dentistry. not worth the risk, if that's your reason.

good luck!

Do you really need a year? Use the two months before dental school to do whatever you want. Just suck it up and attend dental school I honestly don't understand what is more attractive doing some research whatever or actually advancing to doing clinicals. Too many people are speculating how an adcom would perceive this and to be honest I have no clue what they would think of your decision but most probably it would be WTF!!!??!?!?

@Rhynstone: He doesn't have any doubts about attending DS, or getting married to use your analogy. He already paid for the wedding, ring and is awaiting his bride at the altar and is thinking about getting married next year.