"Cancelling my interview here" Replies on School-Specific Threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SocialAmoeba

Reaction score
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think the replies where people say they are cancelling an interview, withdrawing an application from a school, etc. are in bad form. They are especially annoying when they say something to the effect of "I hope one of you gets my spot!" Does anyone else feel the same way, or am I alone on this one?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think the replies where people say they are cancelling an interview, withdrawing an application from a school, etc. are in bad form. They are especially annoying when they say something to the effect of "I hope one of you gets my spot!" Does anyone else feel the same way, or am I alone on this one?

Honestly, I feel a hint of hope whenever I see the "I am withdrawing my app" comments, it's the "just got the A" comment that bugs me :)))

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I agree. Some mean it well, and it also gives hope that maybe an interview slot will open up. Just depends how a person wants to take it I suppose.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I feel a hint of hope whenever I see the "I am withdrawing my app" comments, it's the "just got the A" comment that bugs me :)))

I considered these comments too as I was writing this post. I believe the "withdrawing my app" comments are problematic because they come with the implication that the school is not "good enough" for the applicant, while most other people participating in and viewing the thread would love to be offered an interview or a seat in the class. The "got the A" comments have the opposite implication-that the school is good enough to be excited about.

I considered these comments too as I was writing this post. I believe the "withdrawing my app" comments are problematic because they come with the implication that the school is not "good enough" for the applicant, while most other people participating in and viewing the thread would love to be offered an interview or a seat in the class. The "got the A" comments have the opposite implication-that the school is good enough to be excited about.

You have to understand that people have their own judgments regarding which school is best/top choice for them, and most of the time these judgments are purely subjective. People pick schools based on location, cost and other aspects that have nothing to do with the reputation of the school itself. The "got A" comments not being followed by a "withdraw" comment = 1 less spot available for me and you.

I understand what you are saying, but if someone is applying to a school then they can't have the mentality they are better than that school. Certain schools allow one an easier path to reach certain professional and personal goals and that's how I see it when a student makes that comment.

You have to understand that people have their own judgments regarding which school is best/top choice for them, and most of the time these judgments are purely subjective. People pick schools based on location, cost and other aspects that have nothing to do with the reputation of the school itself. The "got A" comments not being followed by a "withdraw" comment = 1 less spot available for me and you.

I do understand that, but it would be wrong to say that there isn't some amount of overlap between the metrics that each of us uses to judge schools, and I don't believe that most of them are subjective. I haven't considered them all, so I can't make that judgement.

Even though someone may believe that a PS4 is better than an Xbox One, whether it is based on objective or subjective measures, it would still disrespectful for them to get one of the first Xbox's on release day and smash it in front of the line of people waiting to get their own Xbox (this happens every time a new one is released, check out youtube).

Reactions: 1 user
I do understand that, but it would be wrong to say that there isn't some amount of overlap between the metrics that each of us uses to judge schools, and I don't believe that most of them are subjective. I haven't considered them all, so I can't make that judgement.

Even though someone may believe that a PS4 is better than an Xbox One, whether it is based on objective or subjective measures, it would still disrespectful for them to get one of the first Xbox's on release day and smash it in front of the line of people waiting to get their own Xbox (this happens every time a new one is released, check out youtube).

this is silly... you have to rank schools at some point. Why not before you spend the money traveling out there for an interview? I turned down an interview invite because it was a brand new DO school, and I was already accepted to a DO school that was much more established. If the choice is close, then by all means stay in the running!

this is silly... you have to rank schools at some point. Why not before you spend the money traveling out there for an interview? I turned down an interview invite because it was a brand new DO school, and I was already accepted to a DO school that was much more established.

I don't have any issues with ranking schools. I'm not sure which one of my posts gave you that impression.

I don't have any issues with ranking schools. I'm not sure which one of my posts gave you that impression.

Are you only griping about people advertising that they dropped a school, not just the act of dropping in and of itself? It doesn’t really bug me, but to each their own

Are you only griping about people advertising that they dropped a school, not just the act of dropping in and of itself? It doesn’t really bug me, but to each their own

I don't think "griping" is the correct word. I'm trying to gauge whether there are other people who share a similar view to mine, and flesh out my opinion by discussing it.

Well, let's assume you and another applicant applied to school A and school B, you got accepted into school A but not school B, while the other one got accepted into both, but decided to drop school A and attend school B, so that makes you think that school A is inferior to school B? Well, maybe it is partly your fault for not being able to get into school B, deal with it lol.

Had 4 II so far and have been accepted to a school (waitlisted at another), so I made comments in two school specific discussions stating I was withdrawing my application and canceling my interview. When I typed those, it wasn’t me thinking “ha suckers, I got accepted to a better school, now you can take my crappy spot”, lol. It was a “I got accepted and I prefer that school over the others, so I’m happy that someone who’s deserving gets my spot”.... deserving as in an exceptional student and good fit for that school, not a crap student for a crap school, if that makes sense. I was pleased someone was getting my spot. Try being more optimistic in this stressful process!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Not smashing, nope, more like returning it back to the school, increase the stock of Xbox by 1 so the store is able to resell it to the next person in line. Even better if you already opened the box, the store will have to price it down and sell it as "open-box", I prey on those deals :D

It’s not about thinking that a school isn’t good enough for oneself...students should be grateful to go to med school in general! But if someone says that they withdrew their app, cancelled an interview or denied an acceptance, it’s most likely because they got accepted to a school that’s a better fit for them. That might mean the school is “better” financially, geographically, or yes, in ranking. I denied DO acceptances when I got into an IS, well established MD school. I would’ve been happy as hell to go to one of those DO schools if they were my only option, but in my eyes, a better opportunity arose and so I took it. I’m sure many others had similar experiences. Commenting about cancelling an interview/denying an acceptance genuinely was done to let people know that hey, a spot is now open for the next person!

Well, let's assume you and another applicant applied to school A and school B, you got accepted into school A but not school B, while the other one got accepted into both, but decided to drop school A and attend school B, so that makes you think that school A is inferior to school B? Well, maybe it is partly your fault for not being able to get into school B, deal with it lol.

It's very possible that School A is inferior to School B in this case. There's a difference between accepting objective truths and flaunting them.

Not smashing, nope, more like returning it back to the school, increase the stock of Xbox by 1 so the store is able to resell it to the next person in line.

I like this take on it. The issue is that there are only 20 Xbox's being sold this year, there are 50 people in line (all whose dream and livelihood rest upon owning an Xbox:laugh:), and you are telling everyone in line that you don't need one because you already have something better lined up.

I also wouldn't discuss choosing between multiple acceptances in front of a friend who hasn't received any interview invites. It's not "bad", per se, it's just tactless.

It’s just a data point that some users find helpful.

If you’re interpreting it as someone looking for an ego hummer (and getting offended as a result), I’d dial down on SDN for a while.

It’s just a data point that some users find helpful.

If you’re interpreting it as someone looking for an ego hummer (and getting offended as a result), I’d dial down on SDN for a while.

Not getting offended, also not a chronic user of SDN, I just started a few days ago. It was actually one of the first things I noticed and I'm surprised no one else has brought it up.

Whether they are doing it as an ego boost or for any other reason doesn't matter, but I wouldn't put it past some of the people I know.

It's very possible that School A is inferior to School B in this case. There's a difference between accepting objective truths and flaunting them.

I like this take on it. The issue is that there are only 20 Xbox's being sold this year, there are 50 people in line (all whose dream and livelihood rest upon owning an Xbox:laugh:), and you are telling everyone in line that you don't need one because you already have something better lined up.

I also wouldn't discuss choosing between multiple acceptances in front of a friend who hasn't received any interview invites. It's not "bad", per se, it's just tactless.

Yes, very possible that school A is inferior to school B, but why could you not get into school B and have the option to drop school A like the other applicant? It is all fair game, we all play the game, able to apply to all the same schools, and some are bound to lose to others. Don't be offended by others' successes.

Not getting offended, also not a chronic user of SDN, I just started a few days ago. It was actually one of the first things I noticed and I'm surprised no one else has brought it up.

Whether they are doing it as an ego boost or for any other reason doesn't matter, but I wouldn't put it past some of the people I know.

Your interpreting something someone posted anonymously online in the ugliest way possible. Do you assume all of the people who post about their Holds, Waitlists and Rejections are masochists?

Yes, very possible that school A is inferior to school B, but why could you not get into school B and have the option to drop school A like the other applicant?

I'm speaking generally.

It is all fair game, we all play the game, able to apply to all the same schools, and some are bound to lose to others.

It's definitely not a fair game. Life isn't fair.

Don't be offended by others' successes.

I don't have to be offended by something to point it out as possibly being problematic.

Your interpreting something someone posted anonymously online in the ugliest way possible. Do you assume all of the people who post about their Holds, Waitlists and Rejections are masochists?

Nope. Again, it's not the intent of the post that matters.

I'm speaking generally.

It's definitely not a fair game. Life isn't fair.

I don't have to be offended by something to point it out as possibly being problematic.

I guess you are right, life isn't fair at all. Life puts you in a situation where you have to look at others dropping their A's, blame it on life and move on. It's life that is annoying you, not the other more successful applicants.

Nope. Again, it's not the intent of the post that matters.

If you’re interpreting withdrawals negatively, and WLs/Rs neutrally, that says more about your state of mind than anything else.

To the impartial observer, they’re just data points.

If you’re interpreting withdrawals negatively, and WLs/Rs neutrally, that says more about your state of mind than anything else.

To the impartial observer, they’re just data points.

A very troubling state of mind to have indeed, seeing others dropping something you have and immediately refer to it as inferior. Damn, life is gonna be brutal.

Where did I say I was interpreting WLs/Rs neutrally? I didn't mention them at all, you brought them up.

A very troubling state of mind to have indeed, seeing others dropping something you have and immediately refer to it as inferior. Damn, life is gonna be brutal.

I have my own ranking of schools I applied to that has been consistent and not based on other's opinions of the schools. I didn't immediately refer to a school as inferior based on someone else's decision. I said that it's possible that School A was inferior to School B.

Life is going great and I'm working hard to keep it that way.

Our conversation has devolved, and I won't be responding to it again.

Please tell me how you interpret them, if not neutral?

I haven't considered the effects that posting about them has on the people reading about them, so in that respect I haven't interpreted them at all.

I'd say they're unfortunate to receive, but posting about them signals to others in the same boat that they are not alone and may garner support for the poster, so at a first glance I'd say that posting about them is a positive thing to do.

It depends on the stats of the posters, if their stats are higher than yours and they are waitlisted or R, oh boy I won't be at ease for a while.

I haven't considered the effects that posting about them has on the people reading about them, so in that respect I haven't interpreted them at all.

I'd say they're unfortunate to receive, but posting about them signals to others in the same boat that they are not alone and may garner support for the poster, so at a first glance I'd say that posting about them is a positive thing to do.

You are essentially saying you viewed them neutrally, until I asked.

There are a handful of dispositions an application can have. Acceptance w/ withdrawal is one of them (as is declining an interview). Applicants ‘reject’ schools all the time. It’s just part of the game.

My point is that people in the School Specific Threads post the program’s decision on them, and their decision on the program. It’s all just data - interpreting that data is 100% on your state of mind.

How have you only had 14 posts and manage to have the entire sdn DO community hate you? You're the equivalent of memelord for DOs.

And to answer your question: you are completely alone in that no one finds it annoying that another user with a better app than yours (which is why they got the A and you didn't even get the II) posted about withdrawing. It's a shame that over-sensitive people like yourself are going into a career in medicine where many fields/specialties rely on the doctor having a leveled/calm head and not one that is filled with drama/getting easily annoyed/heated.

I don’t know of anyone else who is triggered by people saying they withdrew their II.

It's an "anonymous" forum, humble brags are common, among other things...
Just know a lot of people use this website to satisfy their social needs and want to be acknowledged for their interview invites/acceptances.
Same reason why people (some regularly) bandwagon together in some threads - it makes them feel good to be a part of a group.

If truly troubled, I recommend using the ignore feature, but long-term, you need thick skin for this field.

Reactions: 2 users
Also remmeber that if someone got into their state school and they know they are attending it for monetary reasons, they may not mean that the school is not good enough, just that they would not turn down the other school for financial reasons.

How have you only had 14 posts and manage to have the entire sdn DO community hate you? You're the equivalent of memelord for DOs.

And to answer your question: you are completely alone in that no one finds it annoying that another user with a better app than yours (which is why they got the A and you didn't even get the II) posted about withdrawing. It's a shame that over-sensitive people like yourself are going into a career in medicine where many fields/specialties rely on the doctor having a leveled/calm head and not one that is filled with drama/getting easily annoyed/heated.

By looking at the likes on the original post and the replies, there's about an even number of people on both sides.

I'm not sure how you've arrived at the conclusion in the bolded part of the quote, since I've ignored all of the personal attacks I've received on this thread and have refrained from making character judgement about anyone else. There's a difference between attacking a point and attacking a person making a point, and it would serve everyone here well to learn to do the former without the latter.

Also- making such a far-reaching judgement about someone's personality and fit for a career in medicine based on a handful of measured forum posts is weird. We don't have to agree on everything.

Last edited:
By looking at the likes on the original post and the replies, there's about an even number of people on both sides.

I'm not sure how you've arrived at the conclusion in the bolded part of the quote, since I've ignored all of the personal attacks I've received on this thread and have refrained from making character judgement about anyone else. There's a difference between attacking a point and attacking a person making a point, and it would serve everyone here well to learn to do the former without the latter.

Also- making such a far-reaching judgement about someone's personality and fit for a career in medicine based on a handful of measured forum posts is weird. We don't have to agree on everything.

You stated your personal opinion, thus it is only natural that any opposition against your opinion will point towards you.

What point are you making? Your original post is just a statement of how annoyed you feel when you see other pre-meds informing the community when they withdraw their II. I will make the point that if they already informed the school specific thread when they scheduled their interview, some schools will allow you to change your interview date via some kind of portal. Thus informing people when you withdraw your II can allow others to possibly snag an earlier interview.

What are the cons to posting on threads that you withdrew your II? I guess tickling some pre-med snowflakes.

Reactions: 4 users
Due to the anonymity of the site, I take nothing on this forum personally. If someone reports they are "cancelling an interview" at a school, they either:

a) can't financially afford to go
b) don't see themselves going to that school
c) would instead go to a school where they already hold an acceptance

Those statements are nothing but a data point imho. I don't see these as humblebrags, although there is a ton of that on these forums. However, I think every person is going to interpret those statements differently, but it says a little about your self-confidence based on how you interpret it.

Reactions: 4 users
Huh.

I always thought people saying this in school specific threads were going "Hey, I'm cancelling my interview date, hopefully one of you that want an earlier date can get it."

Huh.

I always thought people saying this in school specific threads were going "Hey, I'm cancelling my interview date, hopefully one of you that want an earlier date can get it."

This is how I saw it, +/- giving people hope that another spot opened up.