Cancer related ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LACMA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm really interested in studying cancer and I think I want to be an oncologist. So far I've volunteered in a hospice, spent time with cancer patients at the hospital, shadowed oncologists, and also do cancer-related research.

I was wondering if there's anything else I can do to learn more/ gain a better understanding of oncology and cancer patients, and pursue my interests even further.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You could volunteer for an organization such as the American Cancer Society, but really I think you've done enough already that no one would doubt your interests.

Reactions: 2 users
Make sure to test the waters in other areas as well...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Frankly, I'd branch out either with something completely different or in a very different setting. For example, emergency department (some cancer patients will end up there but the majority of patients don't have cancer) or pediatric post-op (ditto). Or smoking cessation which is related to primary prevention of cancer and other conditions but somewhat different. Sometimes adcoms are put off by an application that seems very narrowly focused.

Reactions: 3 users
Frankly, I'd branch out either with something completely different or in a very different setting. For example, emergency department (some cancer patients will end up there but the majority of patients don't have cancer) or pediatric post-op (ditto). Or smoking cessation which is related to primary prevention of cancer and other conditions but somewhat different. Sometimes adcoms are put off by an application that seems very narrowly focused.

Really? I thought you mentioned in that thread by that kid who wanted to use their relative's cancer related death as a reason to pursue other cancer related ECs (volunteering, cancer research, etc.) that it would be the foundation for a strong application. I believe it. Something along the lines of showing a pattern of commitment and passion for a certain cause...

OP, maybe instead of outright saying you want to go strictly into oncology talk about how your different experiences have cemented your interest in a career in medicine?

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for your feedback! I will try different things as well to get a more well rounded picture of being a physician. I've shadowed other specialties, done volunteer work with different orgs too, but I'm super drawn to oncology as my family has a history with cancer.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated too :) Thank you so much again.

Really? I thought you mentioned in that thread by that kid who wanted to use their relative's cancer related death as a reason to pursue other cancer related ECs (volunteering, cancer research, etc.) that it would be the foundation for a strong application. I believe it. Something along the lines of showing a pattern of commitment and passion for a certain cause...

OP, maybe instead of outright saying you want to go strictly into oncology talk about how your different experiences have cemented your interest in a career in medicine?

Yes, but if your entire portfolio is nothing but cancer, you get labeled "the cancer guy" and someone who has made childhood epilepsy or general obstetrics their life's work wonders if you will have any interest in the lectures and cases they present to the med students. Ditto for someone who goes into a single specialty area like orthopedics while still a pre-med.
It doesn't hurt to branch out and have one experience that is outside your usual scope of interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yes, but if your entire portfolio in nothing but cancer, you get labeled "the cancer guy" and someone who has made childhood epilepsy or general obstetrics their life's work wonders if you will have any interest in the lectures and cases they present to the med students. Ditto for someone who goes into a single specialty area like orthopedics while still a pre-med.
It doesn't hurt to branch out and have one experience that is outside your usual scope of interest.

I would add, maybe even more importantly, there is a concern that when that ONE thing you always wanted to do doesn't turn out like you thought, you lose all interest in medicine and quit either during med school or shortly after, or you continue and your misery pays dividends in your work

seemed to me most of the most miserable ****s, and ones I saw quit, did when that ONE thing they wanted either didn't turn out to be all they hoped or they were prevented from doing it

The ideal med school candidate if forced to could make do with primary care or psychiatry or a number of other less competitive fields and still be happy, IMHO. They like patients and science and could imagine themselves in a number of fields with any mix of the 2.

Reactions: 2 users
I recommend scribing in the ER because it's an experience that allows you to branch out while helping you build note-writing skills that will benefit you in your time as a resident

I had almost exclusively cancer related experiences as well and would like to provide this bit of advice:
When people ask you if you KNOW you want to do oncology, you might want to say: I'm not sure yet and am open during my time in medical school to explore other fields. However, due to my family experience, my goal of wanting to reducing the impact of cancer on our world initially drew me to medicine so I wanted to understand the medical field within the context of cancer. Additionally, I found it very interesting to see patient care in a field in which I had done some research. This helped me understand how research can impact patients' lives for the better and made me that much more invested in continuing research throughout my career.
that was the approach I took, anyway, and it worked very well for me.
Additionally, my personal statement was about reducing the negative impact of cancer.
Though I know @LizzyM believes pigeon-holing yourself early can hurt you, I am definitely at least one case where taking this approach likely helped me get acceptances at multiple schools, including my dream school!
I do still recommend ER ascribing, though.

You definitely want to gain some more experience in other specialties. That way when you are asked what your goals are, or why oncology, instead of just saying "because its what I always wanted", you can explain why you favor it over the other experiences you encountered. Showing dedication to a specific area of interest isn't a bad thing, but you also want to show that you are well-rounded and know your options.
However, if you are serious about getting more experience with cancer, since you already have some experience with research and physicians, try to get some experience with the patients directly instead. For example, I participate in walks that help raise money for research and screenings for breast cancer, and although this provides some great community service experience, I get to spend these walks talking to survivors and listening to the stories of their battles. You can learn a lot when you hear the stories coming from the patients themselves, and it has certainly helped solidify my interest in oncology as well. Also, by participating in organizations that focus on helping cancer patients and survivors, you are showing an interest in the patients and not just in the medicine.