Candidate/Pre-candidate schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andrewc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was going over a list of Pharm schools to narrow-down which ones I will be applying to and I noticed that some schools were listed as "candidate" or "pre-candidate" status on the pharmcas website.

I understand that it means they have not received full-accreditation yet, so should applying to these schools be a cause for concern? Does it make it easier to get into? Is there a chance I could end up w/o a Pharm.D because the school could not get accreditation while I was a student there?

I've heard a horror story where something similar to this happened to my friend and I do not know too much about accreditation status' so I curious. Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to two pre-candidate schools and interviewed for both.

I think if it's on the right track, you shouldn't be too worried about not able to practice pharmacy after your PharmD program. Of course there is a chance if they goof up and you can not practice, and that's a risk they and you are taking. Good luck.

It may be easier to get in if you're in-state for those schools as well. That's what I noticed, but then again, I'm on the hold list for one and interviewed very late for the other. :scared:

PM me directly if you have more questions about the schools I interviewed at.

Yes, you should always exercise caution when attending a school with Pre-Candidate status. Should the worst happen and the college not become accredited, all students who attended that school will NOT earn their PharmD. So you'll have wasted lots of money and even more time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any information on Union University School of Pharmacy's status? They're still listed as a pre-candidate school :xf:

It's usually okay to take a shot on a pre-candidate school. The ACPE grants the PC status assuming that there's a high chance the school will become accredited. Not if it just sorta looks okay right now. It's more or less a protective measure for students.