Cannot decide between 2 schools!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optohopeful2224

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having such a difficult time deciding between 2 schools! Fortunately, I was accepted into my top 2 schools, PCO and Rosenberg. They are completely different but I like them both for different reasons! I hate the cold, love the warm...San Antonio was so pretty and the staff was so friendly. However, San Antonio is newer, and still not accredited. Most of the doctors I work with attended PCO and loved it, said they received such a.great education and the externships offered were amazing. I'm having such a hard time choosing...any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

If those are your choices then I'd choose PCO.

This wouldn't even be a debate for me. PCO all the way

Members don't see this ad :)
....San Antonio was so pretty and the staff was so friendly. However, San Antonio is newer, and still not accredited....
Read this portion of your statement 10X.
Now make one of the biggest decisions of your life with your head!

Everyone here will tell you PCO, but I completely understand how it's a hard decision. I cancelled my PCO interview cause, like you, I really can't stand the cold. (I think I have bad circulation in my extremities lol). While Rosenburg isn't accredited, it most likely will be considering the direction optometry is going. You should chose the location that will make you the happiest. If you feel like the warm weather and environment at Rosenberg will better suit you, then screw the whole reputation thing and go there. I've found that I succeed and get better grades when I'm mentally happy. Hope this helps :)

People on this board will say PCO easy.

But your reasons for attending a school may be different than someone elses. What may be important to you may be completely irrelevant to someone else.

It's your decision. You want to be in a place where you are comfortable and can enjoy yourself.

People are quick to say that the school is new and not yet accredited. True. But has there ever been a time where a school failed to get accreditation?

I'm having such a difficult time deciding between 2 schools! Fortunately, I was accepted into my top 2 schools, PCO and Rosenberg. They are completely different but I like them both for different reasons! I hate the cold, love the warm...San Antonio was so pretty and the staff was so friendly. However, San Antonio is newer, and still not accredited. Most of the doctors I work with attended PCO and loved it, said they received such a.great education and the externships offered were amazing. I'm having such a hard time choosing...any suggestions?

I would say PCO as well. As far as the San Antonio thing- it is a beautiful city and probably would be a cool place to live. But honestly, you are most likely not going to have a ton of time on your hands to enjoy it. Living in the cold would be no fun, but like the beauty of San Antonio, you are probably not going to take much notice of it once school starts. Not enough to make you miserable anyway. PCO has a good reputation, so that's why I would choose PCO. Also, take into consideration where you want to work after graduation. If you think you might want to work with the same doctors you do now or an area where PCO is highly touted- it might be in your best interest career wise to go to PCO. Ultimately, it's up to you. Just some things to think about. Good luck in your decision making.

I am debating between UMSL and PCO. PCO is much closer to where I live, but UMSL has a much smaller class size.

People on this board will say PCO easy.

But your reasons for attending a school may be different than someone elses. What may be important to you may be completely irrelevant to someone else.

It's your decision. You want to be in a place where you are comfortable and can enjoy yourself.

People are quick to say that the school is new and not yet accredited. True. But has there ever been a time where a school failed to get accreditation?

Nah I don't think they'll have a problem becoming accredited..they have a great staff, location is great and they are very modern. My ODs mentioned boards do favor some schools over others though.

I would say PCO as well. As far as the San Antonio thing- it is a beautiful city and probably would be a cool place to live. But honestly, you are most likely not going to have a ton of time on your hands to enjoy it. Living in the cold would be no fun, but like the beauty of San Antonio, you are probably not going to take much notice of it once school starts. Not enough to make you miserable anyway. PCO has a good reputation, so that's why I would choose PCO. Also, take into consideration where you want to work after graduation. If you think you might want to work with the same doctors you do now or an area where PCO is highly touted- it might be in your best interest career wise to go to PCO. Ultimately, it's up to you. Just some things to think about. Good luck in your decision making.

Yeah...those are very good points, thank you! I'm leaning more towards PCO...you're right, just like my docs said...once school starts I won't have time to think about the cold...I'll be inside studying!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am debating between UMSL and PCO. PCO is much closer to where I live, but UMSL has a much smaller class size.

I interviewed there as well...wasn't to impressed with the facilities, thought they needed updating and yes, a smaller class size is appealing but with pco u have the note taking service offered and more people to make friends with. Umsl is a great school, it's ultimately up to you though...ah decisions decisions lol! Good luck..let me know what u decide!

@optohopeful2224 . For some reason Pco asked me to retake the Oat with 290AA and 300 TS and a 3.13 so im surprised you got accepted with a 280! and I go an IVY league university so i could probably get a 3.6 easily at a different school. ;(.

@optohopeful2224 . For some reason Pco asked me to retake the Oat with 290AA and 300 TS and a 3.13 so im surprised you got accepted with a 280! and I go an IVY league university so i could probably get a 3.6 easily at a different school. ;(.

Not if you go to an IVY like Harvard where they inflate grades. Don't worry the admissions people do this all day. They know what they are doing.

If I was in your shoe, I'll choose PCO based on what you said (bold words above).
Consider: (1) it's accredited and (2) have alumni from various locations (possibly network once you get out of OD school).

@Fly10: Admission committees have their standard of selecting applicants for an interview. Other factors could have played with optohopeful2224's application (ex: early OptomCAS submission, superb ScienceGPA/CumGPA trends that increases each semester, personal statement, etc). It seems like OAT is looked at "moderately" in PCO [base on: http://www.opted.org/files/Applicant.pdf]

Yeah possibly, but I have a 3.86 GPA, 4 years of working as an optometric tech, worked with 5+ different ODs, went on a 5 week mission trip to El Salvador with ODs, tons of leadership roles, member of several societies/clubs, I have more than enough to back me up other than the 1 time I took my oat. IVY league schools are good but you still have to excel in other areas!

If I was in your shoe, I'll choose PCO based on what you said (bold words above).
Consider: (1) it's accredited and (2) have alumni from various locations (possibly network once you get out of OD school).

@Fly10: Admission committees have their standard of selecting applicants for an interview. Other factors could have played with optohopeful2224's application (ex: early OptomCAS submission, superb ScienceGPA/CumGPA trends that increases each semester, personal statement, etc). It seems like OAT is looked at "moderately" in PCO [base on: http://www.opted.org/files/Applicant.pdf][/Q

Thanks! I'm definitely going to PCO! I appreciate your input!

@Fly10: Admission committees have their standard of selecting applicants for an interview. Other factors could have played with optohopeful2224's application (ex: early OptomCAS submission, superb ScienceGPA/CumGPA trends that increases each semester, personal statement, etc). It seems like OAT is looked at "moderately" in PCO [base on: http://www.opted.org/files/Applicant.pdf]

Thanks! I'm definitely going to PCO! I appreciate your input!

You're welcome (you basically had the answer, I just highlighted them). Let us know of your experiences at PCO and any great news coming from the said institution. :)

Last edited: