Cant believe I only just now found this information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awesome Sauceome

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been looking up some good resources to greater understand the DO world (seeing as I am only applying DO). Bought Norman Gevitz' book which should be pretty good. However I just found this "guide" deep in AACOM's website. It was written by a couple DO students.

I am sure plenty of you have found this information, or information like it, but for those who havent, it is a very nice concise read on some of history and current information on osteopathic medicine. It also gives some pretty interesting statistics and points out some things that I never thought about. Its a good read for a pre-med interested in becoming a DO.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Brief-Guide-to-OME_Final.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 243
Reactions: 6 users
Hey, quite an interesting read! I remember my advisor sending me something like this but forgot where it came from. Thanks!

thanks for sharing!! i like.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Gevitz book is great, I'm sure you're gonna enjoy it all. I recommend it for anyone who is applying DO especially for interviews

Been looking up some good resources to greater understand the DO world (seeing as I am only applying DO). Bought Norman Gevitz' book which should be pretty good. However I just found this "guide" deep in AACOM's website. It was written by a couple DO students.

I am sure plenty of you have found this information, or information like it, but for those who havent, it is a very nice concise read on some of history and current information on osteopathic medicine. It also gives some pretty interesting statistics and points out some things that I never thought about. Its a good read for a pre-med interested in becoming a DO.

Thanks for the bump on this. I'm one of the authors... we're fourth years now about to match in two weeks! IM for me, FM for him. We're planning to put out an updated version this year especially in light of the ACGME accreditation updates. Anything you'd like to see added/changed with the guide?

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the bump on this. I'm one of the authors... we're fourth years now about to match in two weeks! IM for me, FM for him. We're planning to put out an updated version this year especially in light of the ACGME accreditation updates. Anything you'd like to see added/changed with the guide?

Sweet yall nailed it, that wouldve been one of the major things. I mean I did not expect this current one to have it seeing as the merger happened like a week ago haha. But still, it changes the game a bit.

Maybe continue to add to the role similarities/differences and the MD/DO biases that you have experienced now that you have gone through years 3 and 4 and have gone through residency interviews and such.

Otherwise, I truly respect the neutrality that you have maintained. A lot of the AOA stuff has a small cultist undertone sometimes. This was written with real life students in mind. Keep up with that!