Can't deal with dissection..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DifferentialDiagnosis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Better learn to tolerate it at least. You can practice a specialty with minimal blood and guts but you still have to get through Med school.

You've gotta learn to live with it if you wish to make it through medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll want to practice before med school starts then

You'll want to practice before med school starts then
Yeah, try buying a bunch of frogs and mice and cutting them up for fun every day (make sure to whack their head really hard before you start). You'll learn to love it!

Yeah, try buying a bunch of frogs and mice and cutting them up for fun every day (make sure to whack their head really hard before you start). You'll learn to love it!

We're doctors, not veterinarians, not cooks

What you need is a proper homeless person

Reactions: 5 users
Hahaha. And I thought I was weird because I couldn't deal with cutting through frog intestines.

Go to LECOM-E, they don't have cadavers, or Toury-NY where they use prosections.
I recently interviewed at Touro-NY, and they had a large anatomy lab with a few dozen cadavers. Are you sure they use prosections?

I recently interviewed at Touro-NY, and they had a large anatomy lab with a few dozen cadavers. Are you sure they use prosections?

1 cadaver for approx 5 students, all fresh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe they only test using prosections? My interview was a while ago, I can't remember.

Neuroanatomy is prosections, maybe that was it?

Gross is student dissections with a couple extra prosections for complicated areas.

I'm not too worried about it, but tbh I'm afraid I'd throw up at the smell(s). :9

A lot of this stuff you can get used to. I used to scoff at the fact that I could ever faint at any sight. Then I had a vasovagal attack while watching a lumbar puncture and was horrified and embarrassed. To fix it, I got on the Internet and watched as many LPs as I could find. Saw a live one a few weeks later and was just fine :) Expose yourself to as much as possible!

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of this stuff you can get used to. I used to scoff at the fact that I could ever faint at any sight. Then I had a vasovagal attack while watching a lumbar puncture and was horrified and embarrassed. To fix it, I got on the Internet and watched as many LPs as I could find. Saw a live one a few weeks later and was just fine :) Expose yourself to as much as possible!

I appreciate the feedback. I was the scoffing type.. Until I opened a bullfrog stomach and found a half digested crawfish..
But yeah!! I'll try exposure.

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate the feedback. I was the scoffing type.. Until I opened a bullfrog stomach and found a half digested crawfish..
Eww! I don't blame you; that's gross. But I think doctors probably see and smell even worse, so it's good practice! :)

Honestly, the anxiety and disgust goes away once you're frustrated enough with digging through an endless sea of fascia to find a stupid nerve that you probably cut out a long time ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, the anxiety and disgust goes away once you're frustrated enough with digging through an endless sea of fascia to find a stupid nerve that you probably cut out a long time ago.

Fascia can go to hell

That's ten times more appealing than opening up a cadaver and finding a half digested big Mac.

But seriously, it's something you get desensitized to, which is why they tend to do it early in the first year of med school. The smell of formaldehyde tends to cover any real smells decomposing corpses would have. But it's good to get used to cutting into bodies because you will be sticking scalpels and needles into living people in a lot of rotations in the subsequent years.