Can't decide #1: UPMC vs UofM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RISCy Buisness

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies in advance for throwing another one of these threads into the mix.
It's the eve of the match list deadline, and considering last year 50% of applicants matched at their #1, I'm struggling mightily on who to put in that slot. I've narrowed down to two:

Pitt

- Pros: CBY-1 year seemed really great, loved the PD and assistant PD, residents seemed genuinely happy with program. Huge focus on resident education. Great hospital system. Probably the best critical care in
country. Some people on here **** on Pittsburgh, but I thought it seemed like a really cool medium
sized city. Initial gut feeling lead me to this program, but it was one of my earliest interviews so I don't know if that's playing into it.

- Cons: Multiple sites, seems like you'd be driving all over the city. Graduates seem to stay mostly in PA for
private practice, or to stay at program for fellowship (maybe this is a good sign?). Minimal moonlighting from what I remember. Less name recognition?

Michigan

- Pros: Reputation, huge research hub, wonderful facilities. The chair was really awesome, really impressed with the faculty I spoke with. Residents raved about program, seemed super close socially as well, very friendly and seemed happy. Geographically closer to family and friends. Ann Arbor is small, but seems like a great college/young adult town. Second best salary I saw. Schedule starting CA-1 seemed very reasonable, 4 weeks vacation a year.

- Cons: Apparently the intern year is very surgical intensive and tough, although I've seen a bunch of people on the boards say not to factor intern year into decision too much. Really big class. Smaller city, goddam MI winters.

Any insight or opinion on the two would be extremely appreciated. I know I'd be very fortunate to end up at either program. I'm just not totally sure which direction to hedge my bets in.

Members don't see this ad.

They've both been discussed at length. Both good programs. Doubt anyone can help you here. Flip a coin.

Reactions: 1 user
agree with above. I'm between these two for my #1 as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Apologies in advance for throwing another one of these threads into the mix.
It's the eve of the match list deadline, and considering last year 50% of applicants matched at their #1, I'm struggling mightily on who to put in that slot. I've narrowed down to two:

Pitt

- Pros: CBY-1 year seemed really great, loved the PD and assistant PD, residents seemed genuinely happy with program. Huge focus on resident education. Great hospital system. Probably the best critical care in
country. Some people on here **** on Pittsburgh, but I thought it seemed like a really cool medium
sized city. Initial gut feeling lead me to this program, but it was one of my earliest interviews so I don't know if that's playing into it.

- Cons: Multiple sites, seems like you'd be driving all over the city. Graduates seem to stay mostly in PA for
private practice, or to stay at program for fellowship (maybe this is a good sign?). Minimal moonlighting from what I remember. Less name recognition?

Michigan

- Pros: Reputation, huge research hub, wonderful facilities. The chair was really awesome, really impressed with the faculty I spoke with. Residents raved about program, seemed super close socially as well, very friendly and seemed happy. Geographically closer to family and friends. Ann Arbor is small, but seems like a great college/young adult town. Second best salary I saw. Schedule starting CA-1 seemed very reasonable, 4 weeks vacation a year.

- Cons: Apparently the intern year is very surgical intensive and tough, although I've seen a bunch of people on the boards say not to factor intern year into decision too much. Really big class. Smaller city, goddam MI winters.

Any insight or opinion on the two would be extremely appreciated. I know I'd be very fortunate to end up at either program. I'm just not totally sure which direction to hedge my bets in.

Great programs. Where do you want to live during Residency? Where do you plan to practice post Residency? Which is closer to family and friends?

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I will say that UofM is widely known to match internals for fellowship, to the point where external candidates need not bother for cardiac etc.

But if you're between these two, I don't think you can go wrong. Pick where you'll be happiest. They'll both give you a good lifestyle, excellent training, and plentiful fellowship/academic options.

We do our Peds rotation up at UofM and I have nothing but awesome things to say about it. It's literally all rainbows, unicorns, and butterflies up there.