Can't decide on what to write my third "most meaningful" essay on...please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A_Sentient_Ape

Reaction score
I am having trouble deciding on a third "most meaningful" essay. So far, I have chosen 2 clinical research experiences. One of these research experiences led to a publication (3rd author, and there will eventually be 2 more pubs submitted by August if not mid-July, both where I am co-first author). I am considering listing the publication(s) as the 3rd "most meaningful" b/c the one currently published paper is about a condition related to why my sister died (which is the subject of my personal statement). I feel like that is a good tie-in I could write about, and it was truly meaningful for me. The other clinical research job led to me being rehired by the same psychiatric program for my first clinical position as a counselor, which I am also considering making the 3rd "most meaningful". Problem is, that job was per diem and only lasted 2 months before I went back to school so I only logged a measly 64 hrs in it, despite it being meaningful to me as well.

I feel like if I choose the publication, it makes all 3 "most meaningful" experiences research-related. If I choose the clinical position, it adds variety but that job was relatively limited in terms of time spent so that may seem obscure. I have also been told by some I should consider making my hobby entry my 3rd MM: it is unique, about surfing, and was going to maybe keep the cooking and hiking pieces too. I am beginning to strongly consider this as my 3rd b/c it solves the "variety" problem the pub has, as well as the "time commitment" problem of the counselor job, and I feel like I could write a very strong essay about personal growth and overcoming failure b/c I have never been a good athlete and surfing regularly the last 3 years has given me a lot of confidence, an outlet for stress, and allowed me to be able to work on something about myself without judgment. But is it a bad idea to make a MM essay about a hobby?

TL;DR is it a bad idea to make a "most meaningful" essay about a hobby such as surfing? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would not make all of your most meaningful activities research-related, even if that may be true. There's only so many ways you can rephrase "I love research and I'm good at it". The most meaningful activities should help showcase different aspects of your application, so use it to your advantage. Hobbies are commonly listed as one of the most meaningful. Whether to do it though depends on what you have to say about the hobbies (and how those hobbies can be used to reflect positively on you).

Reactions: 1 users
I would not make all of your most meaningful activities research-related, even if that may be true. There's only so many ways you can rephrase "I love research and I'm good at it". The most meaningful activities should help showcase different aspects of your application, so use it to your advantage. Hobbies are commonly listed as one of the most meaningful. Whether to do it though depends on what you have to say about the hobbies (and how those hobbies can be used to reflect positively on you).

I feel kind of ridiculous asking this additional question...but do you think there's any chance that using surfing as one of my "most meaningful" essays will cause landlocked schools I'm applying to think I'm less serious about going to their school b/c I can't surf there? Surfing has been transformative for me for sure but obviously it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make in order to become a physician...

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel kind of ridiculous asking this additional question...but do you think there's any chance that using surfing as one of my "most meaningful" essays will cause landlocked schools I'm applying to think I'm less serious about going to their school b/c I can't surf there? Surfing has been transformative for me for sure but obviously it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make in order to become a physician...
You'll be fine as long as you don't say that surfing is your life. It's all about how these activities are presented. I would not think less of an applicant for something like that, much like how I wouldn't hold it against someone for loving farming or traveling abroad.

Reactions: 1 user
but do you think there's any chance that using surfing as one of my "most meaningful" essays will cause landlocked schools I'm applying to think I'm less serious about going to their school b/c I can't surf there?
If nothing else (patient interactions? Shadowing? Volunteering? Anything?) then this will be fine. You do not HAVE to have 3 MM.

Reactions: 1 user
If nothing else (patient interactions? Shadowing? Volunteering? Anything?) then this will be fine. You do not HAVE to have 3 MM.

There was plenty of patient interactions in the counselor job, but I just feel strange saying something I did for 8 days spread out over 2 months was MOST meaningful, even though connecting with those people and hearing their stories was important to me. But I can't honestly say it has been "formative" like surfing has been...but I would definitely consider the patient interactions to be more "affirming" if that makes any sense?

There was plenty of patient interactions in the counselor job, but I just feel strange saying something I did for 8 days spread out over 2 months was MOST meaningful, even though connecting with those people and hearing their stories was important to me. But I can't honestly say it has been "formative" like surfing has been...but I would definitely consider the patient interactions to be more "affirming" if that makes any sense?
Do you have a particularly impactful and/or meaningful anecdote from that activity that is not present elsewhere in your application?