Can't decide what schools to apply to...HELP!!

Started by mattng
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mattng

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a 28R(9PS, 8VR, 11BS), but I just retook the MCAT on May 27th. 3.82 Non science, 3.80 science.

A little about myself, I'm an Eagle scout, was actively involved with SGA, I was the treasurer and president (Two different years). I was an intern at my local hospital for two summers which I had the opportunity to shadow different physicians in different fields of the hospital. I have done research for one semester, presented and published. Resident Assistant. A variety of honor societies. Worked as an official for intramural sports, tour guide and peer leader (for freshman). Recipient of presidential scholarship and leadership scholarship.

Basically, I would like to know my chances and what schools I should apply to. What I had in mind:

Albany
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
New York Medical
Penn State
Temple
Maryland
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia

Any I should add or remove from the list? Thanks! I'm from Maryland, if that affects anything.
 
Those all sound good, but you could probably add a few more. How about Rosalind Franklin, Loyola or St. Louis Univ?

If your MCAT comes up a little when you scores are released, you could look at adding some higher tier schools, since you have a great GPA and ECs.

Best of luck!
 
Alright thanks a lot. The more schools the better. I'll post up my new score if it improves. If it's lower, will that hurt me?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree... you should add a few more schools, and higher tier schools are a good possibility if your MCAT goes up.

Best of luck! :luck:
 
Last edited:
Also, what if my MCAT is lower than my original score, how will that affect me?
 
Last edited:
So nobody has anwsered by question. The question was, if my new MCAT score is lower than the first one, how will that affect me?

Also, my advisor told me that I basically don't have a shot at schools that students from my institution has never been to before. For example, she told me not to apply to schools like George Washington, Georgetown, New York, Albany, etc...because no one from my undergraduate has been there before. Should I heed this advice?
 
So nobody has anwsered by question. The question was, if my new MCAT score is lower than the first one, how will that affect me?

Also, my advisor told me that I basically don't have a shot at schools that students from my institution has never been to before. For example, she told me not to apply to schools like George Washington, Georgetown, New York, Albany, etc...because no one from my undergraduate has been there before. Should I heed this advice?

Most schools will average your score, and give more emphasis to your most recent one. So yes, it will effect you negatively if you score lower on your MCAT the second time around.

Since your adviser is telling you this, it sounds like you come from a small university that doesn't produce many pre-meds. What he/she said does hold some weight. Each med school keeps track of how well their students do, and makes a note of which undergrad institutions they came from. Undergrad schools that traditionally churn out successful medical students are given a little extra weight over other schools that ill prepare their students. But this shouldn't discourage you from applying to as many schools as you can afford and manage. People do get in from the smaller LACs and universities, and if you go to a big one, you should really take a lot of stock into what they said.

Your GPA is great, but your old MCAT is below average for matriculants. With a much higher score (31-32), you would be in a position to get in to a lot of schools including your one state school (assuming great LORs, ecs, etc). If your MCAT comes out similar though, you'll have to apply to as many of the OOS-friendly schools as you can and hope for the best. Good luck.
 
So this is the list I compiled. It's gonna cost me $640!! Please let me know if I should take any off or add any. I'm ready to submit my AMCAS. Thanks!

Albany
Drexel
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
Loyala
Marshall
Morehouse
New York Medical College
Penn state
Rosalind Franklin
Temple
Tulane
Central Florida (free tuition, why not?)
Maryland
Virigina Commonwealth
Wright State

Thanks!