1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Can't decide what schools to apply to...HELP!!

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by mattng, Jun 1, 2008.

1. mattng

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have a 28R(9PS, 8VR, 11BS), but I just retook the MCAT on May 27th. 3.82 Non science, 3.80 science.

A little about myself, I'm an Eagle scout, was actively involved with SGA, I was the treasurer and president (Two different years). I was an intern at my local hospital for two summers which I had the opportunity to shadow different physicians in different fields of the hospital. I have done research for one semester, presented and published. Resident Assistant. A variety of honor societies. Worked as an official for intramural sports, tour guide and peer leader (for freshman). Recipient of presidential scholarship and leadership scholarship.

Basically, I would like to know my chances and what schools I should apply to. What I had in mind:

Albany
    Drexel
    Eastern Virginia
    George Washington
    Georgetown
    Jefferson
    New York Medical
    Penn State
    Temple
    Maryland
    Virginia Commonwealth
    West Virginia

Any I should add or remove from the list? Thanks! I'm from Maryland, if that affects anything.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Carlin

Carlin Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Those all sound good, but you could probably add a few more. How about Rosalind Franklin, Loyola or St. Louis Univ?

If your MCAT comes up a little when you scores are released, you could look at adding some higher tier schools, since you have a great GPA and ECs.

Best of luck!

4. mattng

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Alright thanks a lot. The more schools the better. I'll post up my new score if it improves. If it's lower, will that hurt me?

5. nikkiMD19

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I agree... you should add a few more schools, and higher tier schools are a good possibility if your MCAT goes up.

Best of luck! :luck:

#4 nikkiMD19, Jun 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  6. mattng

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Also, what if my MCAT is lower than my original score, how will that affect me?

#5 mattng, Jun 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  7. mattng

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So nobody has anwsered by question. The question was, if my new MCAT score is lower than the first one, how will that affect me?

Also, my advisor told me that I basically don't have a shot at schools that students from my institution has never been to before. For example, she told me not to apply to schools like George Washington, Georgetown, New York, Albany, etc...because no one from my undergraduate has been there before. Should I heed this advice?

8. SketchLazy

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Most schools will average your score, and give more emphasis to your most recent one. So yes, it will effect you negatively if you score lower on your MCAT the second time around.

Since your adviser is telling you this, it sounds like you come from a small university that doesn't produce many pre-meds. What he/she said does hold some weight. Each med school keeps track of how well their students do, and makes a note of which undergrad institutions they came from. Undergrad schools that traditionally churn out successful medical students are given a little extra weight over other schools that ill prepare their students. But this shouldn't discourage you from applying to as many schools as you can afford and manage. People do get in from the smaller LACs and universities, and if you go to a big one, you should really take a lot of stock into what they said.

Your GPA is great, but your old MCAT is below average for matriculants. With a much higher score (31-32), you would be in a position to get in to a lot of schools including your one state school (assuming great LORs, ecs, etc). If your MCAT comes out similar though, you'll have to apply to as many of the OOS-friendly schools as you can and hope for the best. Good luck.

9. mattng

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So this is the list I compiled. It's gonna cost me $640!! Please let me know if I should take any off or add any. I'm ready to submit my AMCAS. Thanks!

Albany
    Drexel
    George Washington
    Georgetown
    Jefferson
    Loyala
    Marshall
    Morehouse
    New York Medical College
    Penn state
    Rosalind Franklin
    Temple
    Tulane
    Central Florida (free tuition, why not?)
    Maryland
    Virigina Commonwealth
    Wright State

Thanks!