RainbowFriendBlueBlue
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I am looking for honest feedback on my MD school list.
Date of submission: early in the 2026-2027 cycle
Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA / BCPM GPA: 3.9
MCAT: 508
MCAT section breakdown: 126 / 123 / 128 / 131
State of residence: Illinois
Undergrad: Kentucky college
Major: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Minor: None
URM/disadvantaged: Southeast Asian, not URM. Working-class immigrant background.
Reapplicant: No
Nontraditional: No
Clinical experience:
My main purpose in medicine is service-oriented patient care, especially for patients and families who may feel overlooked by the healthcare system. My experiences shaped my interest in patient dignity, immigrant and working-class communities, health literacy, and community-centered care. I am also interested in oncology because of both personal family experience with cancer and my research experiences in cancer-related work.
Miscellaneous / red flags:
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
Albany Medical College
Quinnipiac Netter
Rush Medical College
ETSU Quillen
University of Toledo
Wayne State
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia University
FAU Charles E. Schmidt
New York Medical College
Eastern Virginia Medical School / ODU
University at Buffalo Jacobs
University of Vermont Larner
Stony Brook
SUNY Upstate
Loyola Stritch
Creighton
Georgetown
Drexel
Sidney Kimmel / Jefferson
Penn State
Temple / Lewis Katz
Medical College of Wisconsin
Wake Forest
Virginia Tech Carilion
Western Michigan Stryker
TCU Burnett
University of Connecticut
University of Miami Miller
Tulane
Boston University
Roseman
Methodist University Cape Fear Valley
Possible add-ons if budget allows:
University of Cincinnati
FIU Wertheim
University of Illinois Chicago
Indiana University
UCF
University of Arizona Tucson
Carle Illinois
Tufts
Wright State Boonshoft
Albert Einstein
Question:
Which schools should I add or delete? I am mainly applying MD because I am concerned about future residency competitiveness, but I am open to adding DO schools if my MD list is too risky. I would appreciate feedback on which schools are realistic for an Illinois resident with a 508 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, strong clinical experience, service background, and oncology/community health interests.
Date of submission: early in the 2026-2027 cycle
Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA / BCPM GPA: 3.9
MCAT: 508
MCAT section breakdown: 126 / 123 / 128 / 131
State of residence: Illinois
Undergrad: Kentucky college
Major: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Minor: None
URM/disadvantaged: Southeast Asian, not URM. Working-class immigrant background.
Reapplicant: No
Nontraditional: No
Clinical experience:
- Patient Care Technician, medical-surgical floor: 960 hours
- Bariatric surgery
- General surgery
- Hematology/oncology
- Surgical oncology
- After-school program tutor: 80 hours
- Children’s Arts Program volunteer/coordinator: 200 hours
- Emergency Department volunteer: 512 hours
- Sunshine Cart hospital volunteer: 104 hours
- NIH-funded cancer research: 480 hours
- Chemistry research: 540 hours
- Presentations: 3 poster presentations and 1 oral presentation
- Publications: None
- President / leadership role, Vietnamese Student Association: 332 hours
- International Student Orientation Captain: 252 hours
- Badminton Club: 480 hours
- Nail salon receptionist / family supporter
- Phi beta kappa
- Committee letter
- PI letter
- Physician letter
My main purpose in medicine is service-oriented patient care, especially for patients and families who may feel overlooked by the healthcare system. My experiences shaped my interest in patient dignity, immigrant and working-class communities, health literacy, and community-centered care. I am also interested in oncology because of both personal family experience with cancer and my research experiences in cancer-related work.
Miscellaneous / red flags:
- MCAT 508 with a 123 CARS subsection
- No publications
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
Albany Medical College
Quinnipiac Netter
Rush Medical College
ETSU Quillen
University of Toledo
Wayne State
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia University
FAU Charles E. Schmidt
New York Medical College
Eastern Virginia Medical School / ODU
University at Buffalo Jacobs
University of Vermont Larner
Stony Brook
SUNY Upstate
Loyola Stritch
Creighton
Georgetown
Drexel
Sidney Kimmel / Jefferson
Penn State
Temple / Lewis Katz
Medical College of Wisconsin
Wake Forest
Virginia Tech Carilion
Western Michigan Stryker
TCU Burnett
University of Connecticut
University of Miami Miller
Tulane
Boston University
Roseman
Methodist University Cape Fear Valley
Possible add-ons if budget allows:
University of Cincinnati
FIU Wertheim
University of Illinois Chicago
Indiana University
UCF
University of Arizona Tucson
Carle Illinois
Tufts
Wright State Boonshoft
Albert Einstein
Question:
Which schools should I add or delete? I am mainly applying MD because I am concerned about future residency competitiveness, but I am open to adding DO schools if my MD list is too risky. I would appreciate feedback on which schools are realistic for an Illinois resident with a 508 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, strong clinical experience, service background, and oncology/community health interests.