Cant decide where to go!!! HELP- AuD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureaud10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tying to decide between A.T. Still University and Pacific University (3 year program)?

Any current student on here that attend either of the schools? I see pros and cons (financially) and would really appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Or anything you have heard from the programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I just decided to go to A.T. Still for several different reasons. I love the people I've been in contact with - students, professors, and alumni, and they all speak very highly of their AuD program. I love that it's such a holistic program, assessing the person as a whole instead of just looking at their ears. They also stress collaboration, making sure you get to work with people in different programs to get a sense of how it will be to work with them in the field. ALSO, the professors are super duper there for you, and apparently you get their cell phone numbers so you can call them at any time if you need something. As a whole, I just love the feel of the program and the people. It's super small, there are no undergrad students, and the school is 100% focused on the success of its students. When I think back to the time while I was trying to decide, I knew it was ATSU from the beginning, it just took a while for me to realize it because I was trying to be super thorough.

Financially, I decided that $10,000 or even $20,000 over 4 years isn't a significant enough difference for me to compromise the education I'll be getting. Be sure to look over the curricula of the two schools and see if there are any significant differences - whether either school has classes you won't be getting at the other school, or whether either school is clearly stronger in your specific areas of interest.

As far as 3 year vs. 4 year programs, I specifically didn't apply to any 3 year programs because I know my learning style and I knew that trying to shove that much info into my brain that quickly wouldn't work for me. A 3 year program is going to give you the same amount of education as a 4 year program, but you'll have to really pack it in, and it will be quite demanding. That's not to say you can't or shouldn't do it, but you should evaluate your own ability to learn very quickly.

And regarding weather and stuff, it's just not important enough. AZ is hot, but there's air conditioning inside and you'll be inside most of the time. Oregon is cooler and rainy, but again you'll be inside all the time. It can have an effect, but what really really matters is the program and the school.

Ultimately, you just have to decide what feels right in your heart. You can think and think and think and go in circles with your brain, but you just have to take a step back and listen to your heart. If you're anything like me, you already know where you want to go - you just have to let it be ok and stop fighting it. (Sorry to get all gushy there... lol!)

Good luck!!!

Last edited:
I am leaning towards pacific university because of its curriculum. Block scheduling just makes sense to me as does throwing out wasted time during the breaks, summers etc. What this does is tell me that each class is designed specifically for the AuD program, nothing joint with other doctoral programs offered. Although pacific is expensive, I felt the quality of life is higher compared to AZ, Missouri, and Alabama (i too was accepted to these schools). The weather, public transportation and the city is great, especially if you have a taste for fashion, fine foods or outdoor recreation. Although expensive at 30k/year, its important to consider it's a 3 year program, takes into account summer courses and is flat regardless of instate/out of state applicant. So it ends up being 90k for 3 years for pacific. Other places were between 70-80k for four years, but with pacific, you get that extra work year which makes up that difference and more. Also i should mention that there is no sales tax in Oregon, that alone can save one nearly 10% on everything.