Can't Pick an Adversity Essay. Help me out Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arabet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure which to use for a challenge but I think number three could make for a great diversity essay.

For number two it could be a great topic for if you need to right something about "a time you had to teach someone something which I've seen on several secondaries."

Number one sounds unique/interesting but honestly don't know what adcoms would think. It would at least show flexible thinking and resilience if written well but @Goro might be able to offer his opinion

I feel like I'm spamming SDN about every little thing now so sorry about this--especially since I've seen so many of these posts around. I've racked my brain for adversity essays but I can't figure out which one to commit to so I'd love some advice.

Also, while I feel pretty good about using some experiences for a general challenge/adversity essay. Some, like Case Western, ask for a "significant personal challenge or moral/ethical dilemma." Do these have to be life-changing?

1. Losing my wallet while studying abroad. I was without debit card for 2 months. Had to really plan out my spending, ask for help from friends and parents, etc. Felt really dumb since I was kinda an overconfident traveler. I think this would be an awesome one for a general challenge, but it doesn't seem to be very life-altering? Also do I risk sounding a bit too privileged for studying abroad and being "oh no lost my card I guess I can't go on fancy trips to berlin bc I gotta pay for food and gotta ask my parents to help"

2. Being overwhelmed upon graduating college because of my experiments in lab weren't working and I was starting a new job after graduation. All of that wasn't a problem by itself, the challenge was that I had to help help out a couple interns learn how to do experiments and such properly. This was a time particularly when I was stressed out with my own stuff, but they were relying. I did my best to teach and mentor effectively and enthusiastically because that's what I would have wanted. Made me think of my own mentors in the lab, who also have their own personal and professional problems, and how they still spent the time to train my inexperienced self and deal with my screw ups in the past.

3. Grew up in a small rural town. Even went to a boarding school with like 150 people that was my life. Came to college in a larger medium-sized city, felt isolated, lack of support system around me since everybody else from my town/high school went to the same college (that wasn't mine). However, I decided to view it as a new start. I decided to get involved in things I normally wouldn't have done just a few months prior to adjust to life there and develop a new identity. Found that I'm actually very open to trying new things and new experiences also.
Sorry, all first world problems.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately none of these sound compelling. Try to come up with something that truly challenged the core of your being. It doesn't have to be a physical/material event. It could be an experience that challenged your thought process/world view.