Can't stop thinking about all my screwups during the interview process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cytokine123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I've had 5 IIs to TX IS schools and I can't help but think during the week before prematch every screw up I made at all my schools. Some schools included laughing way too loud at a joke an adcom made and getting a weird look, some involve my interviewers not replying to my thank you e-mails, some involved awkwardly cold shoulders from my interviewers when inquiring for more info about the school via e-mail, some involve stress interviews, etc. Also I can't help but think of the flaws in my apps- 6 Withdraws, a semester where I tanked, 3 MCAT retakes, etc. I don't have anything like socioeconomic status or life story to bail me out of a second consideration post interview :(

All the interviewees at my interview day seemed marvelous and highly qualified and I feel like feces in comparison :(

I'm thinking that I screwed up royally at all 5 interviews and there is no interview that went perfect imo. Can someone help??????? This is hijacking my mind!

:'(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you received 5 interviews in the first place then you likely have a fantastic application. I have trouble believing that someone would deny you entry based on such small things, and the interviewers are likely incredibly busy so I would chalk a lack of email replies up to that. I think you'll be fine.

For whatever it's worth, at my last interview, one of the current students said that she farted really loud during her interview, causing much awkwardness, and she still got in :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Go talk to a therapist.

So far I've had 5 IIs to TX IS schools and I can't help but think during the week before prematch every screw up I made at all my schools. Some schools included laughing way too loud at a joke an adcom made and getting a weird look, some involve my interviewers not replying to my thank you e-mails, some involved awkwardly cold shoulders from my interviewers when inquiring for more info about the school via e-mail, some involve stress interviews, etc. Also I can't help but think of the flaws in my apps- 6 Withdraws, a semester where I tanked, 3 MCAT retakes, etc. I don't have anything like socioeconomic status or life story to bail me out of a second consideration post interview :(

All the interviewees at my interview day seemed marvelous and highly qualified and I feel like feces in comparison :(

I'm thinking that I screwed up royally at all 5 interviews and there is no interview that went perfect imo. Can someone help??????? This is hijacking my mind!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you received 5 interviews in the first place then you likely have a fantastic application. I have trouble believing that someone would deny you entry based on such small things, and the interviewers are likely incredibly busy so I would chalk a lack of email replies up to that. I think you'll be fine.

For whatever it's worth, at my last interview, one of the current students said that she farted really loud during her interview, causing much awkwardness, and she still got in :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The farting thing is very comforting. I guess there are always floors of where to go. Thank you for comforting me!

You had 5 interviews when most of us are sitting on 0-2 at this point and you're really worried and want sympathy? Really, dude?

Honestly, I feel the same way sometimes. You need to talk to someone NOT involved in the cycle about it. Talking with my friends make me feel a lot better, as they put things into context for you (one told me I need to get laid ASAP). It's a grueling process, social support keeps you sane.

OP, are you me? You are literally inside my mind right now.

I feel the same way, especially without that many interviews and as an OOS for the few I did get an interview for. I tend to microanalyze my responses and the interviewers responses/reactions as time goes on, and then it just gets worse the more time passes by as it all dawns on me...

I feel exactly the same way. Five interviews and three waitlists. Makes me feel that my small mistakes (smiling too much, not smiling enough, verbal pauses, awkward handshakes) are killing me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel exactly the same way. Five interviews and three waitlists. Makes me feel that my small mistakes (smiling too much, not smiling enough, verbal pauses, awkward handshakes) are killing me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But you're Drizzy brah. How can you have awkward social cues? In all reality, I really hope that isn't the death of me...especially a super loud laugh I made.

Hey, do you guys ever feel that during the interview what you said was fine, but then after a couple hours (or days) you feel the thing you said was cringeworthy?

Reactions: 2 users
I do the same thing, except I only have 1 DO and 1 MD interview so you're still in a much better position than me and a lot of other people. Just 3 more months until the match!

Hey, do you guys ever feel that during the interview what you said was fine, but then after a couple hours (or days) you feel the thing you said was cringeworthy?
All the time.

Reactions: 1 users
I felt the same way, and I ended up getting into several schools where I was sure I had ruined my chances by talking in circles, saying things that I wasn't happy about in MMIs, awkward silences, not being able to answer questions, etc. It is impossible to tell if/how much any part of your interview will impact the decision. Remember, you have an app that lots of schools have shown interest in. I felt inadequate and like I was lacking compared to other applicants too, but they invited you there for a reason. Best of luck!!

Reactions: 2 users
A loud laugh?? No response to thank-you letters? Are you serious? Go outside, dude. Get some sun, fresh air, that sorta thing. Maybe read through the worst interview answers thread if you need some additional comfort.

We all feel (and felt) that way after interviews. It's only natural, albeit unhealthy, to replay and second guess these things while waiting for results. If you've had five interviews thus far, you have to be as arrogant as Floyd Mayweather or as interesting as a pencil to not find a home next year. Maybe not through pre-match, but definitely through the match. Hang in there!

FWIW, the school I am at now is one I crossed off after my interview day because I felt like I had blown the interview.