Canuck Neurosurgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaZoBia

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

does anyone know if canadian neurosurgeons are allowed to practice in the states.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

WaZoBia said:
hi,

does anyone know if canadian neurosurgeons are allowed to practice in the states.

thanks.

Yes, after they apply for a license in the state they want to practice. Ton of paperwork, but no extra training.

WaZoBia said:
hi,

thanks.

Yes, we have a neurosurgeon from Quebec.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually had surgery performed on me by a guy trained in Ottawa. He is actually very distinguished and developed a miniminally invasive procedure that is now being taught to neurosurgeons around the world.

But yes, for some reason the United States doesn't give a whole lot of flack to canadian trained physicians who want to practice in the US and vice versa.

well, i was asking cos i saw this on the abns website http://www.abns.org/content/faqs.asp

"Q Is certification by the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada equivalent to ABNS certification?

A There is no reciprocity between the ABNS and the Royal College, and equivalency is difficult to equate; notwithstanding, many hospitals accept Fellowships in neurosurgery from the RCS(C). Individuals who began their neurosurgical residency training in Canada prior to July 16, 1997 and achieved an FRCS(C) are eligible for ABNS certification; however, since that date the Board has recognized only training done in programs accredited by the ACGME, which operates only in the United States."

i know it seems pretty clear but i'm wondering if there's a loophole, it does say "equivalency is diffcult to equate", it doesn't say impossible. so legally it leaves room for acceptance of canadian degrees. do you know of any cases where a canadian neurosurgeon who started and completed training in canada after July 16, 1997 has been allowed to practice in the states?

many thanks guys.

WaZoBia said:
well, i was asking cos i saw this on the abns website http://www.abns.org/content/faqs.asp

"Q Is certification by the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada equivalent to ABNS certification?

A There is no reciprocity between the ABNS and the Royal College, and equivalency is difficult to equate; notwithstanding, many hospitals accept Fellowships in neurosurgery from the RCS(C). Individuals who began their neurosurgical residency training in Canada prior to July 16, 1997 and achieved an FRCS(C) are eligible for ABNS certification; however, since that date the Board has recognized only training done in programs accredited by the ACGME, which operates only in the United States."

i know it seems pretty clear but i'm wondering if there's a loophole, it does say "equivalency is diffcult to equate", it doesn't say impossible. so legally it leaves room for acceptance of canadian degrees. do you know of any cases where a canadian neurosurgeon who started and completed training in canada after July 16, 1997 has been allowed to practice in the states?

many thanks guys.

I know a Canadian neurosurgeon who did a fellowship in pediatric neurosurgery in the US. He's also been able to work as a neurosurgeon in the US.

In the majority of states, a physician with canadian training and LMCC has no problems to obtain a medical license without having to take the USMLEs

After obaining a medical license, there are three issues that determine whether you can practice your specialty:
A. Is a hospital willing to credential you for the procedures of your specialty
B. Is a malpractice carrier willing to insure you
C. Are insurance companies willing to pay for your work

Canadian trained physicians with the respective RCPSC certification rarely have issues with A-C. And after that, whether the ABNS recognizes your training is just not relevant (iow there is no law requiring you to be certified by an ABMS member board to practice specialty medicine in the US. it is up to hospitals and malpractice insurers to define your scope of practice after you have obtained a medical license)

I've talked with a chief resident last week who said it was getting more and more difficult to practice in the US, especially for people who graduated after 1997. There's going to be a saturation of the canadian neurosurgery market within the next 10 years according to him, and it's going to be a big issue. I guess there will be more and more canadian neurosurgeons leaving for Europe or Australia in the next few years... It's either that or they'll have to make big cuts in the new residency spots (already started in Qc with 2 residents per year).

I know this thread is super old, but I was wondering if anyone could update on the current situation of Canadian-trained neurosurgeons (with or without a US fellowship) and the ability to obtain jobs in the United States? I know the ABNS ruled haven't changed.