Question for neurosurgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Umairshariff23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to know the protocol for a neurosurgeon graduated from India who wants to work and establish himself in USA.

What do they have to go through??
Has anyone here gone through something like this??
Does usmle become easier once you graduate from a specialty??
Do they need to do something else besides usmle to be able to work in USA??
Are salaries affected if one chooses this path as compared to one who has studied in USA??

I would really appreciate if some established neurosurgeons can pitch in on this question and share their opinions or stories of such events that they may have come across

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Typically it requires repeating a residency at a US program. Obtaining a repeated residency is very difficult and often requires several years of research in the US and cultivating a relationship at a given program.
No it tends to be harder the longer out from school you are out of school though the difficulty is probably less pronounced for FMGs because you don't have as much basic science background in school
Residency training in a US program, sometimes an exception is made if you do a fellowship and stay at that specific institution but that is exceedingly rare to the point of not really being an option.
No salaries aren't affected specifically. It is very hard to come to the US to be a neurosurgeon, a tiny percent of FMG applicants match.

Reactions: 1 user
Typically it requires repeating a residency at a US program. Obtaining a repeated residency is very difficult and often requires several years of research in the US and cultivating a relationship at a given program.
No it tends to be harder the longer out from school you are out of school though the difficulty is probably less pronounced for FMGs because you don't have as much basic science background in school
Residency training in a US program, sometimes an exception is made if you do a fellowship and stay at that specific institution but that is exceedingly rare to the point of not really being an option.
No salaries aren't affected specifically. It is very hard to come to the US to be a neurosurgeon, a tiny percent of FMG applicants match.

Is this the same for any medical field or is it especially difficult for neurosurgery??

From what I've understood through your reply is that it's generally not advisable for a graduated doctor to leave his practice in India to look for practice in USA uses he is invited by a hospital.

Please let me know if I am on the right path.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this the same for any medical field or is it especially difficult for neurosurgery??

From what I've understood through your reply is that it's generally not advisable for a graduated doctor to leave his practice in India to look for practice in USA uses he is invited by a hospital.

Please let me know if I am on the right path.

Thank you
Again, you arent going to be invite to do anything here. You have to do training in the US. The basic rules are the same for all fields but itbis harder to do it in neurosurgery

Again, you arent going to be invite to do anything here. You have to do training in the US. The basic rules are the same for all fields but itbis harder to do it in neurosurgery

Thanks for clearing that up.

Do you know about other countries like Canada, UK, Australia, Netherlands??