CAP inspection question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LNsquasher

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am up next in my group to go on an AP/CP inspection for the CAP. I am not a huge fan of the organization and do not wish to join. Can I still be the lead inspector without giving this organization my personal money? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I am up next in my group to go on an AP/CP inspection for the CAP. I am not a huge fan of the organization and do not wish to join. Can I still be the lead inspector without giving this organization my personal money? Thanks in advance.

Yes. You don't have a be a member. I actually like going on the CAP inspections with my lab. It can be good to get to know the others outside of work and CAP has a generous meal allowance for each person--like 80 dollars per person for dinner.

JFC stop doing these damned inspections for free!

The CAP is making a yachtload of money off of your free labor, and is also misrepresenting our field because selling these inspections is the major revenue source for the CAP. They represent biglabs, not us.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The CAP is a corrupt organized crime syndicate that offers extreme NEGATIVE value to patients.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't like CAP's policy of using "volunteer" teams for inspections. The outcomes are wildly variable and inconsistent from inspection to inspection. And to think that CAP expects these to be performed free of charge is really outrageous.
If CAP cared about the quality of these inspections, it would suck it up and use paid and well-trained teams that just do this, around the country.

I enjoy seeing other labs and how they do things.

The CAP is a corrupt organized crime syndicate that offers extreme NEGATIVE value to patients.

I like it, the Alex Jones interpretation of the CAP!

:soexcited:

I always find it amusing when a lab gets shut down and you find out they had a nearly perfect CAP inspection in the months prior. You can't inspect a lab very thorough in a day. I detest going on these things. They put you and your inspection team in a small break room that is more bustling than an Indian call center. It is hard to concentrate. Bring Excedrin migraine is my advice to anyone who is going on an inspection.

They are depressing because you see labs with the same problems you have. You find out that "there is no sanctuary", to steal a line from Logan's Run.

There is no reason to be a cap member. They don't (and will never) care about the number one problem in pathology...oversupply. I do enjoy the random phone calls asking me to join. I like to tell the person on the phone they have more job security than I do and I can't support a professional organization that doesn't care if I have a job as a professional in the field of pathology.

cap needs their own inspectors.

We recently got inspected. One of the inspectors "works for Quest" but does >20 inspections per year for CAP.

Quid pro quo.

The moment I entered a private lab for inspection, I knew what the real game is. Do we have the balls to report questionable practices? No. So just do the check list, lunch, presentation, handshakes, and call it a day.

I'm confused. How does performing free work for the CAP provide any benefit for us, either individually or as a group?

We have a skillset that is quite rare, in the grand scheme of things. To be giving it away for free, for the profit of a large corporation, strikes me as naive. Am I missing something?

The CAP profits handsomely from inspections, so pathologists should be charging 500/hr to do these.

The CAP is a member organization. Every. Single. Meeting. They discuss what is best for the members, and what is best for the specialty. The profits go right back into programs for benefiting members. It is quite literally the best chance pathologists have at increasing the public respect for the specialty, which translates into better careers. The dues don't even touch what they spend on advocacy each year in Washington. So short sighted.

The CAP is a member organization. Every. Single. Meeting. They discuss what is best for the members, and what is best for the specialty. The profits go right back into programs for benefiting members. It is quite literally the best chance pathologists have at increasing the public respect for the specialty, which translates into better careers. The dues don't even touch what they spend on advocacy each year in Washington. So short sighted.

Proof?

If you have numbers, please show them.

I recall that the cap pulls in 50million a year on inspections vs 3 million a year on membership. They also spend only 300k on pathpac.

These numbers indicate that their inspection business is their primary focus.

Knowing these numbers i refuse to do inspections for free, and encourage all other pathologists to follow suit.