CAPCSD not open till sept 19th HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

violetpetals

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a new applicant and will be applying on september 19th to the CAPCSD system. However I am not able to access the CAPCSD system prior to the application date of september 19th.
This is a huge problem for me concerning my personal statement. I do not know what questions they will ask on the personal statement or what material I need to submit to to CAPCSD will be. How many LORs? how many shadowing hours? Resume?
Who has applied and do they remember what is on this application system ???
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don't stress too much about it not opening until September! You will be fine. I will say though, definitely try to get your application materials in ASAP after it opens, especially your transcripts. I feel like they took the most time to process out of anything else, and I almost missed the deadline for one school because I sent mine in later.

In regards to your personal statement, some schools will give you a specific prompt and word count. If they do, it should already be on their department website under the application/admission process (or something similar). If not, CSDCAS provides you with a general prompt which states (at least from the 2014-2015 application cycle): "Write a brief statement expressing your motivation or desire to study communication sciences and disorders. Each essay must be written in your own words and may not exceed 5,500 characters (not words)"

Your recommendation letters will be uploaded to the portal by the individuals you choose to write them. You will input their information and they will get an email to upload them when they are finished. As far as how many, this will depend on the individual schools you plan on applying to, although I would say most require 2-3. Specific school information on how many they require (and who they would prefer write them) should be under the application/admission process of the department website.

You will be required to send your transcripts from all colleges you have attended to CSDCAS so that they can verify your GPA. You'll also be required to input your classes and their corresponding grades (there is an option to have them do this for you, but it costs money and I didn't trust them when I did it, so I did this all myself). You will also have to send your GRE scores (and again, you will have to input them yourself as well).

There is not an option to upload a resume, which I think is ridiculous. But, you can input information from your resume as there is an area for extracurricular activities, volunteer activities, awards, etc. It is time consuming this way (but definitely do it). I just think they need to have an option where you can upload a PDF copy of your resume and be done with it.

Everything else that you have to provide will be personal information.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a lot CJJG

Don't stress too much about it not opening until September! You will be fine. I will say though, definitely try to get your application materials in ASAP after it opens, especially your transcripts. I feel like they took the most time to process out of anything else, and I almost missed the deadline for one school because I sent mine in later.

In regards to your personal statement, some schools will give you a specific prompt and word count. If they do, it should already be on their department website under the application/admission process (or something similar). If not, CSDCAS provides you with a general prompt which states (at least from the 2014-2015 application cycle): "Write a brief statement expressing your motivation or desire to study communication sciences and disorders. Each essay must be written in your own words and may not exceed 5,500 characters (not words)"

Your recommendation letters will be uploaded to the portal by the individuals you choose to write them. You will input their information and they will get an email to upload them when they are finished. As far as how many, this will depend on the individual schools you plan on applying to, although I would say most require 2-3. Specific school information on how many they require (and who they would prefer write them) should be under the application/admission process of the department website.

You will be required to send your transcripts from all colleges you have attended to CSDCAS so that they can verify your GPA. You'll also be required to input your classes and their corresponding grades (there is an option to have them do this for you, but it costs money and I didn't trust them when I did it, so I did this all myself). You will also have to send your GRE scores (and again, you will have to input them yourself as well).

There is not an option to upload a resume, which I think is ridiculous. But, you can input information from your resume as there is an area for extracurricular activities, volunteer activities, awards, etc. It is time consuming this way (but definitely do it). I just think they need to have an option where you can upload a PDF copy of your resume and be done with it.

Everything else that you have to provide will be personal information.

Good luck!