Capstone v Thesis in MPH Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eastbywestcoast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the unexpected (and fortunate!) position of having to decide between a few different MPH programs. One of the things I've noticed is that some MPH programs require a "capstone" project, which is often conducted as part of a team of students and tends to be more practical in nature-- working with local health agencies or community health centers to develop a program, solve a problem, etc. Other MPH programs require a traditional thesis that is more focused on traditional data analysis and original research. And some programs give you the option of choose whatever best suits your interests and academic objectives.

I'd be interested in hearing if the thesis v capstone choice is something that contributed to anyone else's decision making process. I'm honestly not sure which would be a better match for my long-term goals -- likely government programs and research -- and I'd love to hear about others' experiences, considerations, etc. If it helps, I've primarily been accepted to Health Behavior and Community Health Promotion programs.

Members don't see this ad.