Car Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brody17

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a future MS1 at UNECOM, there is no doubt in my mind that I will need a car. I finally rearranged some monies and can a reliable car (Corolla) with minimum payments. My new problem is where and with whom to insure the car. I'm originally from NY. I would like to insure the car with my home address so it can be constant for the 4 years. Will this increase my premium? Any advice on insuring cars when you live out of state?

Members don't see this ad.

as far as I know you insure where you register, if you keep your registration in New York you'll keep your insurance in new york... move your registration to Maine, insure it here in maine (I use a really nice state farm agent over in saco)... Hope this helps!

I'm pretty sure the insurance company wants to know where your car will be, not just where it is registered.

For what it is worth I switched from Nationwide to Progressive a few months ago and my premium - which wasn't that high to begin with - went way down.

Members don't see this ad :)
Insurance rates will be based on where the car will spend most of its time. As far as who to use give libertymutual a try. I am a high risk due to multiple speeding tickets ( no wrecks) and bad credit. My yearly premium for a 2005 wrangler full coverage is only 600. All the other name brand companies was quoting 1000 PLus.

brody17 said:
As a future MS1 at UNECOM, there is no doubt in my mind that I will need a car. I finally rearranged some monies and can a reliable car (Corolla) with minimum payments. My new problem is where and with whom to insure the car. I'm originally from NY. I would like to insure the car with my home address so it can be constant for the 4 years. Will this increase my premium? Any advice on insuring cars when you live out of state?

Technically it qualifies as insurance fraud if you insure your automobile in a state where you no longer reside. Many people register their cars in their home states so they can keep their insurance in their home state (especially here in Kentucky where insurance is sky high), however, if you get in a wreck, no matter who is at fault, your insurance company will transfer your policy to the state in which you now reside and they will most likely charge you the difference in premiums plus interest for any amount of time you have been a resident of your current state.

gwynnetn said:
Insurance rates will be based on where the car will spend most of its time. As far as who to use give libertymutual a try. I am a high risk due to multiple speeding tickets ( no wrecks) and bad credit. My yearly premium for a 2005 wrangler full coverage is only 600. All the other name brand companies was quoting 1000 PLus.

hmm... u can get "full coverage" but that coverage will only cover a certain amount. i bet that liberty was providing a lesser amount compared to the other places.

i honestly have no bias towards any of them, but when you do this, you should really know how much "full coverage" is just incase...

Do we get discounts on car insurance because we are medical students? I did in college b/c I was on deans list, so I would think we should as med students.

mocheese said:
Do we get discounts on car insurance because we are medical students? I did in college b/c I was on deans list, so I would think we should as med students.

I am insured with costco/american express for about 1360 a year on a 05 Matrix. Collision deduc: $500, Theft/other accidents deduc: $250, along with 100k of liability and stuff. You can get a good student discount (I got 25% off) until the age of 25 with costco/american express.

jawicobike said:
Technically it qualifies as insurance fraud if you insure your automobile in a state where you no longer reside.

From what I understand, this is not 100% true...the way it was explained to me is that students are able to retain their home state status when they travel out of state for school (hence res/non-res status). Therefore, if you have a permanent residence in your home state, and a temp residence in a second, it is legal to leave your vehicle registered in your home state, as well as retaining your home state license. The insurance company will still need to know where you are keeping your vehicle if it is going to be greater then 50% of the year.

From what I understand, this is not 100% true...the way it was explained to me is that students are able to retain their home state status when they travel out of state for school (hence res/non-res status). Therefore, if you have a permanent residence in your home state, and a temp residence in a second, it is legal to leave your vehicle registered in your home state, as well as retaining your home state license. The insurance company will still need to know where you are keeping your vehicle if it is going to be greater then 50% of the year.
can anybody confirm this?

Reactions: 1 user
I was told by more than one insurance company that undergrad/grad/professional students, doctors in residency training, and service members under military orders are allowed to keep their home address for insurance and registration purposes, as long as they know where you actually live (specifically, where the vehicle is garaged) and as long as you don't change your driver’s license or vehicle registration to another state. YMMV and you should confirm with your agent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My car has been registered in my home-state through all of med school with no problems because I'm a student and still an official resident of my home state. However, my car insurance rates are linked to my current address because it's where my car resides and where I personally live. It's super easy to change your address with your car insurance. I have GEICO (by far the cheapest I've found for me) and I've changed my address and even vehicles with them multiple times, each change only taking a couple minutes.

Reactions: 1 user